Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Really? I'd be very surprised if he didn't medal tbh. Silver I'd expect

I hope so, I just think the pressure of being the Olympic poster boy will get to him, he is only 18.

I really hope I am wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Colmustard wrote: »
    I hope so, I just think the pressure of being the Olympic poster boy will get to him, he is only 18.

He'll be grand. Last night was the time to let his nerves out. He was much improved this morning. Far from his best yet got 4th! He'll be a different animal tonight imo although can't see anyone coming close to Qiu Bo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I reckon Tom will do great later and it's all come down to him as Pete didn't make it he'll want to get a medal for GB.

Colmustard wrote: »

ALthough that other Chinese guy was insane too. I'll go with daley bronze! But it'll be tight for silver. Qiu will walk away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Re: having a go on the mountain bike track.

I have changed my mind, I am looking at the saddle bobbing up and down, me poor knackers would look like black plums at the end of that course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Is there a much of a DQ rate in walking? Know nathin bout it! Surely it is hard to determine whether someone breaks into a jog even for a second, there seems a fine line

Can be worse in some races, obviously the 50k has more disqualified(7-9). In Sydney Jane Saville(Aus) was leading in the 20km walk going into the stadium and got disqualified. The leader before her had also got disqualified so it can be a fairly heartbreaking sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ah the Russian anthem is a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Russian national anthem is nice :-)

ALthough that other Chinese guy was insane too. I'll go with daley bronze! But it'll be tight for silver. Qiu will walk away with it

How is the Mexican guy doing? The Chinese seem to do the simple dives perfect while the Mexicans love the high risk point scoring dives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

ferike1 wrote: »

it seems to be about opening and closing pub times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

32, that Saransk that Gerry mentioned must be some place, it seems that every Russian walker for the last 30 years grew up there.

Aye, now check out how many have tested positive for EPO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

titan18 wrote: »
    Aye, now check out how many have tested positive for EPO

Googled it and it came up with least 4 Russians in past few years.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

it seems to be about opening and closing pub times.

But why didn't they serve his family?
    Dude a traveller?

That Brendan Boyce comes across as lovely guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

snubbleste wrote: »
    Do you not see men walking every day on the footpath :confused:

Everyday footpath walked doesn't look like that! :)

The guy doing the Mountain biking commentary sounds like the guy who reviews the movies on George Hook radio show. Is it the same guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Mountain biking commentator said one of them won the championships in Czechoslovakia this year. Really?

Namlub wrote: »
    Mountain biking commentator said one of them won the championships in Czechoslovakia this year. Really?

Reminds me of the time Ireland played Germany in Croker few years ago and announcer goes "Substitution for WEST Germany". Even the Germans took it well.

Googled it and it came up with least 4 Russians in past few years.:eek:

The defending Gold Medalist from Italy was caught using EPO before London.

Anyone hear of Abortion doping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Considering that Britain entered more athletes than any other nation, do you still consider their medal tally impressive?

To give some examples:

China: 380 Athletes-82 Medals
    US: 530 Athletes-94 Medals
    Russia: 436 Athletes-66 Medals
    GB: 541 Athletes-59 Medals

I know they have done better than ever, but considering the home advantage, the number they entered, the knowledge of tracks/courses, and the money they spent......is it all they are making it out to be?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭marvin_spazz

Anyone wrote: »
    Considering that Britain entered more athletes than any other nation, do you still consider their medal tally impressive?

To give some examples:

I know they have done better than ever, but considering the home advantage, the number they entered, the knowledge of tracks/courses, and the money they spent......is it all they are making it out to be?

population china 1.3 billion
    us 314 million
    russia 143 million

gb 62 million

so considerable difference in available potential talent pool.

To give some examples:

Most host nations always get a medal bounce from hosting. There is also pressure on the host nation to have an athlete or team in every event even if they haven't a chance. GB had a recruitment drive for tall people for the handball team. Greece in 2004 even had a team in the baseball. That said the funding in the lesser sports usually dries up within 2 Olympics after hosting. Remember all those Spanish middle distance runners in Barcelona, I don't think they even had one in a final this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

The number of competitors GB have isn't really relevant. As hosts they get automatic entries into most, if not all sports. Obviously there is no real cost to entering an athlete at a home championships so people with no real hope get entered. Looking at the medals that have been won, they've mostly come from people and sports you would expect from GB.

I missed all of the football games , I might watch the Brazil v Mexico game on soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I missed all of the football games , I might watch the Brazil v Mexico game on soon.

Do, should be a belter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

population china 1.3 billion
    us 314 million
    russia 143 million

gb 62 million

so considerable difference in available potential talent pool.

True, they have a smaller pool, but based on that, they are way lower, but then again so are US,China and Russia
    Most host nations always get a medal bounce from hosting. There is also pressure on the host nation to have an athlete or team in every event even if they haven't a chance. GB had a recruitment drive for tall people for the handball team. Greece in 2004 even had a team in the baseball. That said the funding in the lesser sports usually dries up within 2 Olympics after hosting. Remember all those Spanish middle distance runners in Barcelona, I don't think they even had one in a final this year.

Yeah, I never really looked at how they qualified, and whether they had to achieve a minimum standard.
    Rascasse wrote: »
    The number of competitors GB have isn't really relevant. As hosts they get automatic entries into most, if not all sports. Obviously there is no real cost to entering an athlete at a home championships so people with no real hope get entered. Looking at the medals that have been won, they've mostly come from people and sports you would expect from GB.

Well the real costs are to do with training and paying the athletes, the cost of getting them there and accomadation isn't that much overall.

Anyway, it was from reading this article, which has "alternative" medal tables, makes for an interesting read.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/2012/jul/30/olympics-2012-alternative-medal-table

Despite all the hype, I've never actually seen Neymar play before. Should be interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Well done to Rob Heffernan, brilliant race from him. His time would have won the 50k in Beijing. Nice interview with him as well, he was disappointed he missed out on a medal but was smiling too. Seems like a sound down to earth guy.

Can't wait for JJ Nevin's fight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

GB didn't win anything with the athletes they put in just because they could and had little hope anyway. Take them away and GB would have the same amount of medals. So kind of a moot point.

I really want Brazil to win this :). It'll be good for them and they've a lot of medals it's just the olympics one thats missing.

Soccer final starting now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Pretty much as above, GB team size is boosted by so many teams/athletes automatically qualifying due to being from the host country, but had no hope of winning a medal.

The most impressive thing about this Olympics from a British perspective is the number of golds won. Russia have won more overall medals than GB, but far less gold medals.

Goooaaaallll!!!!

• Advertisement

Mexico 1 nil up after 28 seconds :eek:

Wow I can't believe Mexico already have a goal in the first 30 secs.
    This is looking to be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Jesus,just turned it on in time :D

Lawro on the BBC or Richardson on RTE guys,both can be annoying to listen to,could always mute them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'd prefer to watch the showjumping of the modern pentathlon than the football final purely because I expect lots of people to be crashing into the fences on their unfamiliar horses.

Meh football in the olympics is quite boring to watch comparing to other events when you've no affiliation to any of the teams imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Anyway, it was from reading this article, which has "alternative" medal tables, makes for an interesting read.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/2012/jul/30/olympics-2012-alternative-medal-table
    It is interesting although I would argue a little simplistic to rank in order of either population or GDP.

I reckon other factors should be included in the statistical analysis such as,

- Certain events limiting number of competitors from one country. GB could have cleaned up on silver/bronze in the cycling or even snatched a few more golds, say where a compatriot was disqualified.

- The increased advantage for larger nations in team/relay events. Rare enough for a small country to produce one world class athlete per generation, near impossible to have several.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Meh football in the olympics is quite boring to watch comparing to other events when you've no affiliation to any of the teams imo

Have you watched any football this year? The womens football was amazing I was plesently suprised at how good it was. There here been major shocks in the mens and some cracking games.

Damien Richardson would do your head in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

it might just be that Brasil think they are Mexico

Have you watched any football this year? The womens football was amazing I was plesently suprised at how good it was. There here been major shocks in the mens and some cracking games.

Tried watch a few earlier games but there were far more interesting events on to watch imo. I see enough football throughout the year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Doesn't feel like a real Football final, ala the World Cup or the Euro's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

To give some examples:

Well an athletics track, a football pitch, a velodrome, a pool, basket ball court, hockey pitch, etc etc, are preety much the same where ever you go in the world, barr the stadia built around it. Plus most of the venues were built from scatch, so knowledge of the track or course are irrealvent. For unique courses such as the mountian biking, BMX, white water courses, these were also built or designed for this olympics, and most athletes would have had the same time to practise on them.

After that it comes down to skill, funding, facilities, and a nations interest in a sport or disapline.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Doesn't feel like a real Football final, ala the World Cup or the Euro's.

The atmosphere at all the matches, even the GB ones, seem a little subdued. I wonder if its a case of the crowd being non football supporting types there because its the Olympics, or if the mics pointing at the crowds are not as loud as they would be for a premier league game.

Either way you wouldn't believe this was in front of 90,000 people (including many thousand Latin Americans.)

Rascasse wrote: »
    The atmosphere at all the matches, even the GB ones, seem a little subdued. I wonder if its a case of the crowd being non football supporting types there because its the Olympics, or if the mics pointing at the crowds are not as loud as they would be for a premier league game.

Either way you wouldn't believe this was in front of 90,000 people (including many thousand Latin Americans.)

I guess a lot of the spectators are just there to watch the game rather than to support a particular side so there's not the same atmosphere as there would be if it was a PL game...

I just have the football on in the background. I prefer the league or world cups. I don't think Brazil should be that disappointed if they don't win this game. Mexico are pretty good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement