Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

The atmosphere is shocking. Pity Gb aren't in it really would be a great occasion if something, although I'm sure Mexico are there on merit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

The modern pentathalon is on now. I might watch that online instead of the rest of the football.

Ben Ainsley GB flag bearer tomorrow? Not that big a deal but would have thought Wiggins was a shoe in. Would have thought Ennis second choice

What actually happens in the closing ceremony tomorrow?
    do all the countries walk out carrying flags?
    I heard Spice Girls might be performs tomorrow as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Wiggins was the bell ringer in the opening ceremony so he's already done a ceremonial thing.

Apparently the closing ceremony is a celebration of British music. Most of the papers have leaked who's singing if you don't want a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

What actually happens in the closing ceremony tomorrow?
    do all the countries walk out carrying flags?
    I heard Spice Girls might be performs tomorrow as well.

I think it is only the medal winners with the flag of their country, though a nominated person will carry the flag, albeit how you can call silver and bronze "winning", I dunno

I just googled it's Darren O'Neil leading for the Irish flag for tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Watching the Taekwando there is some athleticism and skill in that sport, I only just found out you can score with your fists, I thought it was all kicks.

Off the bar! Mexicans could regret not scoring that later.

• Advertisement

Ah no the play acting is starting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Pato looks like he's bulked up a lot...

That's that anyway.

Gee that's a surprise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

They deserve to be 2 up.

Brazil are a bit of a let down today

Would've got good odds on Spain or Brazil not winning.

From an Irish point of view i feel it has been a good Olympics. 4 out of 6 medals in boxing added to the 3 out of 5 in Beijing and the many many medalists who have gone before in the games..

Its make me wonder why in gods name we only sent one boxer to Sydney and Athens respectively beforehand.

Equestrian of course Cian took home the showjumping bronze. A mystery why we generally under-perform at that Event considering this is a horse mad country whatever the discipline.

Annalise Murphy came agonisingly close to a podium finish. She is still young and hopefully the Irish sports council can really get behind her for the next games.

Robert Heffernan, what can i say. This man, for all his dedication to the sport you'd only love for him to get his hands on a medal. He has been knocking on the door for years. So so unlucky today. He set an Irish record in the process and would have won in that time in Beijing. The more he raises his game it would seem the overall standard seems to increase.

Eoin Rheinsich also very very unlucky in the Slalom considering he wasnt doing so bad and Andrzej Jezierski finished 9th overall in his canoe sprint. Sanita Purspure done likewise in the Rowing.
    So our medals count could have been even healthier, ironically as the saying goes perhaps with a bit more 'rub of the green'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its make me wonder why in gods name we only sent one boxer to Sydney and Athens respectively beforehand.

You can't just simply 'send' boxers to the Olympics, theres a huge qualification process and ours didn't qualify for those Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Delighted for Mexico, Brazil didnt take them seriously

The hulk

Uh oh. Surely not. How much stoppage time is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Irish guy didn't have a great round in the showjumping in the Pentathlon. Seemed to have trouble getting the horse under control in the beginning which resulted in him running 10 seconds over time and he hit two fences as well so he's well down the order and only the weaker guys have gone out so far.

• Advertisement

statesaver wrote: »
    They deserve to be 2 up.

Brazil are a bit of a let down today

Oh it could have been alot worse. Amazing they could still get this to extra time. What Ferguson sees in the da silva twins ill never ever know.

F**k. So close.

Dull game but great end.

Oh my word how did Oscar miss that? Ha I'm not complaining though.

Aye that Rafael is a child.

You can't just simply 'send' boxers to the Olympics, theres a huge qualification process and ours didn't qualify for those Olympics.

My apologies your right there.
    God its hard to remember a time when boxing wasnt so strong. I still think the low performances post Atlanta to pre Beijing was probably due to little support in terms of Govt funding etc.

I wonder who will be giving out the medals? It was due to be Sepp Blatter but he's decided not to after he was booed by the entire stadium when he gave out the medals at the womens final.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysjZYIeeMP8 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

God its hard to remember a time when boxing wasnt so strong. I still think the low performances post Atlanta to pre Beijing was probably due to little support in terms of Govt funding etc.

Yes hard to believe we have come long way. Just hope it does not come to stand still now with the rumours about Billy Walsh and his team.

Would be such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

From an Irish point of view i feel it has been a good Olympics. 4 out of 6 medals in boxing added to the 3 out of 5 in Beijing and the many many medalists who have gone before in the games..

Equestrian of course Cian took home the showjumping bronze. A mystery why we generally under-perform at that Event considering this is a horse mad country whatever the discipline.

Annalise Murphy came agonisingly close to a podium finish. She is still young and hopefully the Irish sports council can really get behind her for the next games.

Robert Heffernan, what can i say. This man, for all his dedication to the sport you'd only love for him to get his hands on a medal. He has been knocking on the door for years. So so unlucky today. He set an Irish record in the process and would have won in that time in Beijing. The more he raises his game it would seem the overall standard seems to increase.

Eoin Rheinsich also very very unlucky in the Slalom considering he wasnt doing so bad and Andrzej Jezierski finished 9th overall in his canoe sprint. Sanita Purspure done likewise in the Rowing.
    So our medals count could have been even healthier, ironically as the saying goes perhaps with a bit more 'rub of the green'.

With regards to the boxing I think Andy Lee was the only boxer that qualified in 04 as was Michael Roche in 2000,I remember Kenny Egan saying he was trying for years to get to the Olympics when he finally got there in 08,Its just a pity we didnt get to see Joe Ward at this year games but Im sure his time will come as well

I guess everything is cyclical and there'll inevitably come a time again when we'll only qualify one boxer who'll get beaten in the last 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

One of the riders in the modern pentathlon was thrown by her horse. she was lucky it didn't squash her as it fell over and landed just beside her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

well done Mexico!

2 Irish girls going in the 20k walk now on rte

• Advertisement

Rascasse wrote: »
    I wonder who will be giving out the medals? It was due to be Sepp Blatter but he's decided not to after he was booed by the entire stadium when he gave out the medals at the womens final.

Let mad Boris do it. He is the closest thing to Mayor West (or Adam We??) from Quahog we've ever came across. :D

I guess everything is cyclical and there'll inevitably come a time again when we'll only qualify one boxer who'll get beaten in the last 16.

Yeah the standard is always raising and unlike Cuba for example, Boxing is competing with GAA, Soccer, and Rugby in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    One of the riders in the modern pentathlon was thrown by her horse. she was lucky it didn't squash her as it fell over and landed just beside her.

That was a man!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Gwan Olive !

Rascasse wrote: »

Why would they have booed him. what did he do?

Are you serious ?

It be quicker to mention what he hasn't done at this stage.

His big offence is that Russia got the 2018 World Cup for which England bid.
    There's also allegations of major corruption, and he's generally been critical of the English Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

some real hotties in the walk, also the wiggly bottoms :O

• Advertisement

There's also allegations of major corruption, and he's generally been critical of the English Premier League.

+ That great footballing nation Qatar buying the 2022 World Cup.

Lets not even mention his handling of the Thierry Henri fiasco. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

That Liu girl is sooo skinny when you see her side-on :eek:

that makes sense. Thanks

Great to see all the Irish flags flying from the lamposts outside Buckingham Palace. :)

Lapin wrote: »
    Great to see all the Irish flags flying from the lamposts outside Buckingham Palace. :)

The amount of Irish flags around the place has been unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Just back home, how is Olive doing in the walk does anyone know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

nice_very wrote: »
    some real hotties in the walk, also the wiggly bottoms :O

The grey shorts on the girls from Guatamala(?) appear very tight and starting to ride up. George got a little distracted on the handover to the studio:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

10th Place at the 6km mark. Not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Lapin wrote: »
    + That great footballing nation Qatar buying the 2022 World Cup.

Lets not even mention his handling of the Thierry Henri fiasco. :mad:

You mean the Senegal/Ghana/Palestine selection. Just look at the Kenya and Ethopians that switched to Qatar in the athletics, the are going to buy a team for 2022, get them to pick Muslim names and hand out passports.

Blisterman wrote: »

She was 12th. She is doing good so far. The conditions are perfect for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Blisterman wrote: »

Grand I'll settle on the couch for the next couple of hours then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement