Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

leahyl wrote: »
    What? They said that all his family were dead?!

They said his mother and sister died 6 years ago and he used boxing to overcome their deaths. What an absolute **** up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

I meant The Queen just in case there was some confusion

Hoho she won't like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

They said his mother and sister died 6 years ago and he used boxing to overcome their deaths. What an absolute **** up

Jesus Christ, how did they make that mistake?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

JC how the hell, that's as much of a fcuk up as I've ever heard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

But is it true?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Its Freddie Evans, who fights tomorrow, that lost his mother and sister in a car crash. The BBC got the wrong guy, awful mistake to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

London have done a magnificent job at hosting, I imagine the closing ceremony will be quite a spectacle.

Well done to our boxers and Cian and a special mention to Rob Heffernan. Sadly underwhelming performances elsewhere, some even verging on the embarrassment. Hopefully we send less competitors to Rio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

London have done a magnificent job at hosting, I imagine the closing ceremony will be quite a spectacle.

Well done to our boxers and Cian and a special mention to Rob Heffernan. Sadly underwhelming performances elsewhere, some even verging on the embarrassment. Hopefully we send less competitors to Rio.

Gavin Noble put in a great performance in the triathlon. Why do people forget/ignore this ?

Gavin Noble put in a great performance in the triathlon. Why do people forget/ignore this ?[/QUOT

I've no doubt that he did try to his upmost. He seemed delighted with 23rd.

The thing that concerned me was that he stated in a following interview that he had no expectation of a medal, injuries aside or whatever but why would you compete if you feel you can't win? There's enough celebrating of mediocrity in this country already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Gavin Noble put in a great performance in the triathlon. Why do people forget/ignore this ?

The thing that concerned me was that he stated in a following interview that he had no expectation of a medal, injuries aside or whatever but why would you compete if you feel you can't win? There's enough celebrating of mediocrity in this country already.

He broke his fibula in May dude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Gavin Noble put in a great performance in the triathlon. Why do people forget/ignore this ?[/QUOT

Well if i got the opportunity to go to an olympics, represent my country and be part of the whole experience I would definitely go, even if I did have little or no chance of winning a medal. Something to tell your grandkids about and all that. The triathalon is a notoriously gruelling and difficult event so anyone who competes in an Olympics in that with the top 40-50 in the world deserves every respect and recognition.

He broke his fibula in May dude.

So why did he compete then, he couldn't have been right. I'm not attacking the guy, triathlon is a grueling discipline but a lot of our crowd seemed to go over there injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

So why did he compete then, he couldn't have been right. I'm not attacking the guy, triathlon is a grueling discipline but a lot of our crowd seemed to go over there injured.

Ah but the Olympics only come around every 4 years, I think even if my leg was hanging off and had the talent to compete in the Olympics I would take the chance...its not as if its a weekend run of mill triathlon(indeed if any of them are run of mill)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Annalise did great in the sailing as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I think opinion guy should get the boards Olympics personality of the year for his uniqueness in being the only one on here not to have the red button :-P
    I do not have a tv, never mind a red button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Last day of action until the Paralympics in two weeks. Feels kinda sad.

:(

el diablo wrote: »
    But is it true?

No

264 Million!!!!

Thats the amount that was funded into british sport for the London Olympics.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Just listening to David Cameron on the BeeB Britain spend 167 million a year on sport and the results of that investment has being staggering, 28 gold medals and third in the medal table.

But I ask myself could that continue, I don't think sport would be a priority in this economic climate. imagine here sport investment will also face cutbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

irish-stew wrote: »
    264 Million!!!!

Not sure where you got that from, it's £125m a year across Olympics and Paralympics. Only £40 is from government, rest from lottery. And good news it is being maintained for Rio

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19226099

• Advertisement

Colmustard wrote: »
    Just listening to David Cameron on the BeeB Britain spend 167 million a year on sport and the results of that investment has being staggering, 28 gold medals and third in the medal table.

But I ask myself could that continue, I don't think sport would be a priority in this economic climate. imagine here sport investment will also face cutbacks.

That was what was spent this year. That figure has gone up and up over the last 16 years since the Lottery came in, after only winning one gold in Atlanta.

steve9859 wrote: »
    Not sure where you got that from, it's £125m a year across Olympics and Paralympics. And good news it is being maintained for Rio

Was said on the Beeb just after 9pm this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Not sure where you got that from, it's £125m a year across Olympics and Paralympics. Only £40 is from government, rest from lottery. And good news it is being maintained for Rio

how did the government get away with that.

264 Million!!!!

:eek::eek:

I wonder what ours was.

I wonder what ours was.

Probably about three fiddy.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Seeing as per capita seems to be all the rage at the minute, by my maths it would be like us spending 11m pounds, so even round it to an even 15m euro. Surely that's doable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

I wonder what ours was.

11 million euro I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

how did the government get away with that.

Spending money from the lottery where it should be spent? What does the Irish government spend lottery profits on? Its not sport apparently. So where does it go?

Probably about three fiddy.

:D

We done very well out of it, 1 gold 1 silver and 3 bronze is a decent result for a nation of our size.

• Advertisement

We done very well out of it, 1 gold 1 silver and 3 bronze is a decent result for a nation of our size.

And that was with just one sport. If we were smarter with the investment, and its distrubtion we could do better.

Was watching some of the Beeb last night where they had shown the target number of medals for each sport for team GB. Swimming was the only sport were targets were not met, and investigations have already begun.

And that was with just one sport. If we were smarter with the investment, and its distrubtion we could do better.

Was watching some of the Beeb last night where they had shown the target number of medals for each sport for team GB. Swimming was the only sport were targets were not met, and investigations have already begun.

I would forget about swimming if I was them.

Personally I think we could do something in cycling, its a growing sport in this country and we have a cycling tradition,

The Irish style of investigation is the old saying of "Hard luck". The amount of times i have seen League of Ireland teams get knocked out in European games after conceding 60-70% possession and squandering 2-3 decent chances and all their analysis was "We were unlucky".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

investigations have already begun.
    It's sport, it's something we are supposed to enjoy! What happened that the Gestapo have to be called in?

investigations have already begun.
    It's sport, it's something we are supposed to enjoy! What happened that the Gestapo have to be called in?
    It's sport that they are spending large amounts of money on and expect results from. All countries are the same.

I'm sure if athletes all funded themselves they can be only answerable to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Our best Olympics in donkeys years and still people complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

The 264 million pound figure is correct. That is what they received.
    This year, it has received £264 million, largely from investment through the National Lottery.

And if British athletes meet projections of collecting 57 medals, the funding equates to £4.6 million per medal compared with £2.1 million for each of Britain's 28 medals in Sydney.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/london-2012/9458510/4.6-million-the-cost-of-an-British-Olympic-medal.html

The 125 million pound figure is what they will receive per year until Rio.

I would forget about swimming if I was them.

Personally I think we could do something in cycling, its a growing sport in this country and we have a cycling tradition,

Road cycling maybe, track would take major investment as, as far as I know we dont even have a veledrome.

Not sure what the rules will be for Golf in four years, weather it will be professional, amature, or under age like the soccer. McIlroy I belive has also said he would represent GB if had the chance.

Soccer and Rugby 7's I think we could have a chance in. There has been a recent major interest in this county of our junior and under 21 national soccer sides, if they could get a qualifiction they could do well. Rugby 7's will be included for Rio. Following the progression of the Professional Rugby game here this is something that could be hopefully transfered to a Sevens game.

Maybe one of the lesser known individual sports, get the talant spotters out there to our clubs, youth centres, pools, etc, find someone with a natural talent what ever it may be.

Because they obviuosly want a return on their investment.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not one of these ones who think that if your not in with a shot of a medal dont bother going. If that was the case then most events would just be a final with maybe only half a dozen participants which would make the whole thing very boring.

The smaller nations with just a few athletes send who or what they can, even if its just to say they were there, thats fine. But if you have a talent pool, you send the very best, and should expect a return.

Ireland we have a mixture of both, some of our athletes have maybe no chance or an outside chance. Them we send, if they dont get something, we just hope they do their best and do us proud, if they get something, fantastic. In some like boxing we have genuine chances and should expect a return from it, and its brillant we had.

I'm not knocking the Irish Team, considering the small number of medals we won, it was still a fantastic result considering they were all in one sport, and we sould be proud. But just imagine if we maybe had the same attitude for progression across a few of the others. Congrats also has to be passed to our sailers and walkers who just missed out in the end. Both of them results can only be a positive for future games and hopefully receive more investment now that its been seen we have a chance in them.

Road cycling maybe, track would take major investment as, as far as I know we dont even have a veledrome.

Not sure what the rules will be for Golf in four years, weather it will be professional, amature, or under age like the soccer. McIlroy I belive has also said he would represent GB if had the chance.

Soccer and Rugby 7's I think we could have a chance in. There has been a recent major interest in this county of our junior and under 21 national soccer sides, if they could get a qualifiction they could do well. Rugby 7's will be included for Rio. Following the progression of the Professional Rugby game here this is something that could be hopefully transfered to a Sevens game.

Maybe one of the lesser known individual sports, get the talant spotters out there to our clubs, youth centres, pools, etc, find someone with a natural talent what ever it may be.

Its near impossible for an Irish football team to qualify for the Olympics. You have to get to the Semi Final of the European Championships. The teams now cant even qualify for the championships.

Also we have no decent Rugby 7s programme in the country. We dont even have a team for the Sevens Series. Its something that the IRFU have really dropped the ball with.

Anyone wrote: »
    Our best Olympics in donkeys years and still people complain.

Its all about finding ways of improving.

• Advertisement

Its near impossible for an Irish football team to qualify for the Olympics. You have to get to the Semi Final of the European Championships. The teams now cant even qualify for the championships.

Also we have no decent Rugby 7s programme in the country. We dont even have a team for the Sevens Series. Its something that the IRFU have really dropped the ball with.

Not a the moment, but with the interest thats in the full version, and now that its an Olympic event surely its something that could be looked at.

Paralympics preview on the Beeb now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

In case anyone missed the opening ceremony (like I did), it's on the EBU feed
    http://www.eurovisionsports.tv

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Jessie J singing God Save the Queen. Oh dear

They should let Johnny Rotten do it instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Haha love it!

He's busy selling butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I am sad that it's over today :(

However it's been an amazing 2 weeks and I just want to say a big thank you to Katie Taylor, John Joe Nevin, Michael Conlan, Paddy Barnes, Annalise Murphy, Cian O'Connor and Rob Heffernan who gave me amazing highs and some very unlucky moments too. Hopefully we will see some of then righting the wrongs of London in Rio.

Been a great games, it started slow but the Brits really pulled it all out and it's been my favourite games ever.

And this will have me welling up for years to come:

Just getting back to the funding and inclusion of athletes breifly. Team GB has a fella in the Marathon, who only ran his first last september, that I do find odd.

Good luck to him but he surely hasn;t got a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

He's too busy flogging butter these days. Rebel without a clue, eh John?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

blueser wrote: »
    He's too busy flogging butter these days. Rebel without a clue, eh John?

I'd say he's actually even more busy touring one of the most innovative and experimental bands ever

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement