Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've bought Lotto tickets in the UK a good few times. I'm going to believe it was my money that funded Jessica Ennis. She owes me. I accept favours of a sexual nature.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Colmustard wrote: »
    Just listening to David Cameron on the BeeB Britain spend 167 million a year on sport and the results of that investment has being staggering, 28 gold medals and third in the medal table.

But I ask myself could that continue, I don't think sport would be a priority in this economic climate. imagine here sport investment will also face cutbacks.

I don't think you should just think that the payback of that investment is just medals. Remember obesity and obesity related health problems are a huge epidemic. When you consider reutrn on that investment you must consider the reduction in future health problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Bronze basketball game is turning into an intriguing game. Hopefully Leo Gutierrez, Delfino and co can overturn the 2 point half time deficit v Russia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Just love seeing so many Irish flags on the streets of London we really have come along together as two Nations and you really have to give it to the UK they have put on an amazing games.

Early break in the marathon.
    Gonna be a fast time I think - can't see a record going but you never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I don't think you should just think that the payback of that investment is just medals. Remember obesity and obesity related health problems are a huge epidemic. When you consider reutrn on that investment you must consider the reduction in future health problems

That is a good post and point and you are right also I sport can reduce social problems. I agree there is a great return on sport investment and not only in international prestige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Does anyone know where I could view the men's 400m relay final from last night? Been trying to find highlights online but most are just camera phone videos. From what I could see through all the blurriness was that the Jamaicans totally bossed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Can't find anywhere the MTB is being shown today. Will have to keep checking RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Marathon looking good, awaiting the Mens mountain biking, maybe catch a bit of the Womans Modern Pentatalon.

But its the Closing Ceremony. Do I hit the road early, and watch it on RTE on a little analoge TV, get to sleep around midnight and refreshed for work. Or stay at home for the night, watch it in glorious colour on BBC with the Red Button, get to bed at the same time, but get up at 6.30am with over an hour drive to work?

Decisions decisions.

• Advertisement

^ The Beeb, no question :D 6.30am isn't that early to get up once in a while?!

Malari wrote: »
    Can't find anywhere the MTB is being shown today. Will have to keep checking RB.

Will probably be on the BBC somewhere, other wise on the EBU. Is on at 1.30.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Marathon looking good, awaiting the Mens mountain biking, maybe catch a bit of the Womans Modern Pentatalon.

But its the Closing Ceremony. Do I hit the road early, and watch it on RTE on a little analoge TV, get to sleep around midnight and refreshed for work. Or stay at home for the night, watch it in glorious colour on BBC with the Red Button, get to bed at the same time, but get up at 6.30am with over an hour drive to work?

Decisions decisions.

Lol....and you are asking us ???
    In After Hours ???
    I think you know what you have to do :D

^ The Beeb, no question :D 6.30am isn't that early to get up once in a while?!

Its 6.30 at the latest. Ealier if I want to squeeze in breakfast. Then a 12 hour shift once I get there.

:D

I know alot of people do this everyday, but so used to being so close to my place of work and not getting out of bed till after 7 and a 15 minute drive.

:o

Lol....and you are asking us ???
    In After Hours ???
    I think you know what you have to do :D

Well it might get a more serious answer compared to people coming on asking about their cheating boy/girl friends.

:pac:

Edit. I forgot, you dont have the red button.

:p

Its 6.30 at the latest. Ealier if I want to squeeze in breakfast. Then a 12 hour shift once I get there.

I know alot of people do this everyday, but so used to being so close to my place of work and not getting out of bed till after 7 and a 15 minute drive.

Dude you need to buy a new TV. Tiny analogue !?!?!?!
    Comeno on I might not have a red button but I do have a nice Samsung 40" HD to watch my crapovision stations on :D

• Advertisement

Would Mo Farah complain about getting up at 6.30? Did Sir Chris get where he is today by complaining about long hours? Do you think Katie Taylor never sacrificed a breakfast once in a while? :pac:

Comeno on I might not have a red button but I do have a nice Samsung 40" HD to watch my crapovision stations on :D

Joys of living/renting in a shared house.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I've bought Lotto tickets in the UK a good few times. I'm going to believe it was my money that funded Jessica Ennis. She owes me. I accept favours of a sexual nature.:)
    Please queue in this direction gents;
    ---->

And behind me, obviously!

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Yeah, 55" Bravia here. They can keep their red buttons.

I'd say he's actually even more busy touring one of the most innovative and experimental bands ever
    Who are?

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote: »
    Yeah, 55" Bravia here. They can keep their red buttons.

Bravia with the Red Button at home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Bravia with the Red Button at home.

Yeah, but I live a 4 minute drive from work. Win for me!

*does lap of sitting room*

Joys of living/renting in a shared house.

:(

I hear ya. If I'm honest - my TV ain't so special either - the sound is f**ked up and fading over time:confused:

Anyhow - what should you do ? AH answer: Red button, coke, hookers, all night bender, boarding a plane to anywhere in the morning dressed in one of the blazers the boxing bloke on rte wore and Timmy Mallet wacky glasses, telling everyone you are going DOWNTOWN BOOM SHAKA LAKA, touring the world on a sex drugs and rock and roll whirlwind, dissappearing into Asia for four years, only to be rumoured of again when the next olympic torch procession is lit in Brazil, rumours growing coming closer to the games of a partying Irishman/(woman ?), returning to the world stage at the opening ceremony in an explosion of olympic partying.

Calling in late to work after 4 years and explaining the red button made you do it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

The bbc has it on yesterday they'll probably have it on again and take a break from the marathon or move that to bbc 3.
    Isit just the marathon and basketball on now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I hear ya. If I'm honest - my TV ain't so special either - the sound is f**ked up and fading over time:confused:

Anyhow - what should you do ? AH answer: Red button, coke, hookers, all night bender, boarding a plane to anywhere in the morning dressed in one of the blazers the boxing bloke on rte wore and Timmy Mallet wacky glasses, telling everyone you are going DOWNTOWN BOOM SHAKA LAKA, touring the world on a sex drugs and rock and roll whirlwind, dissappearing into Asia for four years, only to be rumoured of again when the next olympic torch procession is lit in Brazil, rumours growing coming closer to the games of a partying Irishman/(woman ?), returning to the world stage at the opening ceremony in an explosion of olympic partying.

Calling in late to work after 4 years and explaining the red button made you do it:D

This wont work, you will get fired, not to mention sanctioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Red button at 1.30

blueser wrote: »
    And Colin with a stray hand moment there.

Lucky bleeder!

7 second in; steady there Colin!

The bbc has it on yesterday they'll probably have it on again and take a break from the marathon or move that to bbc 3.

The marathon will be over by the time the mountain biking starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

maybe catch a bit of the Womans Modern Pentatalon.

There's an Irish girl competing in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Well done to Kirilenko on achieveing a bronze medal in the basketball against Argentina :P

• Advertisement

Currently in progress theres the Marathon, Basket Ball, Handball, Modern Pentatalon, and Water Polo. Boxing, Mountain Bike, Gymnastics - Rhythmic, Volleyball, and Wrestling coming up.

where are the black presenters in all of this, the BBC studio presenters dont even get excited, unlike the x athletes,

WTF just happened in the marathon ?

The view was obscured for a moment and the guy in third was suddenly in first ?

Even the commentators were like....wtf !?!?!?

where are the black presenters in all of this, the BBC studio presenters dont even get excited, unlike the x athletes,

Did you not see the link posted only 10 minutes before your post.

:confused:

WTF just happened in the marathon ?

The view was obscured for a moment and the guy in third was suddenly in first ?

Even the commentators were like....wtf !?!?!?

Just heard them comment about that.

Should spend more time watching it and less on here.

Just heard them comment about that.

Should spend more time watching it and less on here.

Yeah I just saw that now - I rewinded a bit to rewatch it so I'm behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I know Darts are not in the Olympics (yet!) but the news of Sid Waddell's death today has me very sad!

R.I.P. to the voice of darts, his commentaries were always highly entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

blueser wrote: »

7 second in; steady there Colin!

:D Colin the sly dog

Yeah I just saw that now - I rewinded a bit to rewatch it so I'm behind

Oh feck off with your live rewind feature.

• Advertisement

Did you not see the link posted only 10 minutes before your post.

:confused:

yes 1 white presenter with 3 guests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Anyone wrote: »
    Our best Olympics in donkeys years and still people complain.

One Gold, one silver & three bronze! but I wonder how we compare to other countries/regions our size, take Denmark for example, or New Zealand, Croatia, or Yorkshire.

yes 1 white presenter with 3 guests.

No. 3 Black former Athletes who cover Athletic events for the BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LordSutch wrote: »
    One Gold, one silver & three bronze! but I wonder how we compare to other countries/regions our size, take Denmark for example, or New Zealand, Croatia, or Yorkshire.

New Zealand 5 3 5 13

Jamaica 4 4 4 12

Denmark 2 4 3 9

Croatia 2 1 2 5

Norway 2 1 1 4

on the other hand

Belgium 0 1 2 3
    Finland 0 1 2 3
    Austria 0 0 0 0

mike65 wrote: »
    New Zealand 5 3 5 13

Jamaica 4 4 4 1

Denmark 2 4 3 9

Croatia 2 1 2 5

on the other hand

Belgium 0 1 2 3
    Finland 0 1 2 3
    Austria 0 0 0 0

More importantly, any update on our Boards League?

No. 3 Black former Athletes who cover Athletic events for the BBC.

so which of them ever opened a show, introducing the former athletes to give their analysis of which ever event, none that I am aware of,

they are introduced as information givers (well kind of) but not the big seat asking the questions.

• Advertisement

New Zealand 5 3 5 13

Jamaica 4 4 4 12

Denmark 2 4 3 9

Croatia 2 1 2 5

Norway 2 1 1 4

on the other hand

Belgium 0 1 2 3
    Finland 0 1 2 3
    Austria 0 0 0 0

You forgot Yorkshire

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

You forgot Yorkshire

And Coleraine :)

so which of them ever opened a show, introducing the former athletes to give their analysis of which ever event, none that I am aware of,

they are introduced as information givers (well kind of) but not the big seat asking the questions.

Are you for real ?

They are there as esteemed guests and experts - the guy in the 'big seat' if merely a facilitator.

So anyhow - your late entry for Trollympics is only mediocre. You made the semi-finals but didnt' qualify for the finals. No medal for you. THank you for taking part. Better luck next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can't count that high! Scotland as an independent country would also be very well placed per capita with 13 medals in total, 7 golds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

New Zealand 5 3 5 13

Jamaica 4 4 4 12

Denmark 2 4 3 9

Croatia 2 1 2 5

Norway 2 1 1 4

on the other hand

Belgium 0 1 2 3
    Finland 0 1 2 3
    Austria 0 0 0 0

Probably need to add these countries Winter Olympic 2010 totals into it to get a fair comparision, as at least half their resources/money/competitors will be aimed in that direction in the 4 year cycle.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement