Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

You forgot Yorkshire

Yorkshire, population 4 million appprox.

Gold 5 Silver 1 Bronze 2 Total 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

irish-stew wrote: »
    More importantly, any update on our Boards League?

Think you got the wrong person there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

The Ugandians are brilliant at running same with the Jamaicans they totally own the running :).
    Who's the fastest at running the Kenyans , Ugandian or Ethiopian or Jamaicans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

so which of them ever opened a show, introducing the former athletes to give their analysis of which ever event, none that I am aware of,

Well in fairness, You mustn't have been watching to often, so you cant really comment on where they all are as they are on it nearly all the time as far as Athletics is concerned.
    they are introduced as information givers (well kind of) but not the big seat asking the questions.

Because they are professionals in their feild, all three off them feature heavly in all international athletic events for the BBC all infront of various anchor presenters such as John Inverdale in the above clip. The anchor is just there to ask the questions, and could be covering athletics today, and another sport the next. Its the analysts who if anything are more important.

Think you got the wrong person there

Oh I know, but I thought mike was one of the participants hence the question.

Oh I know, but I thought mike was one of the participants hence the question.

I have 417 medals as of last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Wow

Natalie Coyle just won her heat in the swimming of the Pentathlon

The Ugandians are brilliant at running same with the Jamaicans they totally own the running :).

Bolt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Keneally home in 2.21.13. 57th place. Not too shabby a time given the heat. A lot of people struggling....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Are you for real ?

They are there as esteemed guests and experts - the guy in the 'big seat' if merely a facilitator.

So anyhow - your late entry for Trollympics is only mediocre. You made the semi-finals but didnt' qualify for the finals. No medal for you. THank you for taking part. Better luck next time.

they are not presenters, what are you waffling about, just because someone does not post does not mean they were not reading and enjoying the peoples coverage,

I have been reading most post since the start of the 1st thread, when did you get promoted to say what is accepted as good enough for this thread,

my question was on topic (i think) as it was about Olympic coverage, and the people you keep trying to say are presenters are not,

there has to be a chairman on every committee (presenter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The Jamaican women,not only are they fast but there easy on the eye as well

BBC2 showing the mountain biking the bbc 1 has boxing.

BBC2 showing the mountain biking the bbc 1 has boxing.

BBC3 has mens indoor volleyball

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

its been a great games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

that cuban lad that beat conlan is an animal

Moving away from the trolls, the opening lap of the Mens Mountain Biking is looking preety good.

Any ideas if there is any diferences in the Mens lap compared to the Womans, or is it just an extra one(s)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Men's lap is slightly longer I believe.

Its grueling looking in any case - I'm tired just looking at them

Malari wrote: »
    Men's lap is slightly longer I believe.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I really want to ride that course. lets hope after years of road cycling I havn't lost some of the fear that I use to have on MTBs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

i just heard that the homecoming party tomorrow night in dublin has been cancelled due to dublin city council and the IOC failing to reach an agreement on which one has to pay for it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Wonder can you get access to that tower thingy overlooking the olympic stadium (after the olympics are over)? it would be great to have a wonder round the park and have a gander.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I really want to ride that course. lets hope after years of road cycling I havn't lost some of the fear that I use to have on MTBs.

There are granny runs for the faint of heart :-D Cross-country wouldn't be as technical as downhill either.

I have no problem hurtling down a mountain as fast as I can on a pair of skis, but I've always found something intimidating about cycling down a mountain. Can't say I care for it at all!

The mountain biking looks incredible. I'd love to do that course I usually hate cycling on the road but i don't mind in parks and stuff. I haven't cycled in a while I'm not that confident cycling on roads/pavements .
    That course looks really fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

LordSutch wrote: »
    Wonder can you get access to that tower thingy overlooking the olympic stadium (after the olympics are over)? it would be great to have a wonder round the park and have a gander.

I think so. Thats going to be a permanent structure in the park and looking at the BBC this morning, there was a reporter on top of it in what looked like a viewing platform.

• Advertisement

Yes you can.

;)
    There are granny runs for the faint of heart :-D Cross-country wouldn't be as technical as downhill either.

Is that the alternative routes for some of the down hill sections. Slightly longer but less technical.
    I have no problem hurtling down a mountain as fast as I can on a pair of skis, but I've always found something intimidating about cycling down a mountain. Can't say I care for it at all!

I never done the crazy rocky decents bar the odd short one, but loved doing a bits of single track, some loose gravelly decents, and tree lined, dodging branches and bunny hoping tree roots.

Edit. GB rider is out.

The mountain biking looks incredible. I'd love to do that course I usually hate cycling on the road but i don't mind in parks and stuff. I haven't cycled in a while I'm not that confident cycling on roads/pavements .
    That course looks really fun.

I use to do only MTB then got a road bike, have heard that those who started MTB made better road riders due to their techical skills. Never noticed it in my self though.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

ffs they've had this exact conversation about all the high performance stuff on RTE last night, wish they'd show something other than boxing for the next four hours.

Edit. GB rider is out.

Suspected broken ankle:(

Unconfirmed broken ankle for British rider Liam Killeen.

• Advertisement

Is that the alternative routes for some of the down hill sections. Slightly longer but less technical.
    Yup. Bit longer but also less technically difficult.

Favourite gone! French guy Absalon.

Namlub wrote: »
    ffs they've had this exact conversation about all the high performance stuff on RTE last night, wish they'd show something other than boxing for the next four hours.

Knowing RTE it won't be much else. I know its out most sucessful olympic event, but dont RTE realise there is so much other stuff going on in London.

Knowing RTE it won't be much else. I know its out most sucessful olympic event, but dont RTE realise there is so much other stuff going on in London.

Seriously, they've got the panelists discussing every aspect of it in minute detail less than 24 hours after having the exact same discussion, is anyone that interested?

Seriously. I know it's been our most successful event but they've got the panelists discussing every aspect of it in minute detail less than 24 hours after having the exact same discussion, is anyone that interested?

I suspect its cheaper to have these guys shlte-talking than to actually show events

Yup. Bit longer but also less technically difficult.

Favourite gone! French guy Absalon.

Noticed them, very few taking them though. The one that looks most hair raising is the two wooden rasied platforms side by side. One on right has a small bunnyhop ramp in the middle, would hate to misstime that one and hit the rocks in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Seriously, they've got the panelists discussing every aspect of it in minute detail less than 24 hours after having the exact same discussion, is anyone that interested?

Yes!

efb wrote: »
    Yes!

Did you not watch it last night or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Do people pretend to bite the bronze? :confused:

Just noticed alot of the riders using clipless pedals. I know they allow for more transfer of power, and make bunny hoping easier, but I'd want to be able to lift my feet out of the pedals for balance on some of them technical sections.

:eek:

Good race at the top - lots of chopping and changing

• Advertisement

Big piece on the park in the Sunday times today. £300m has been allocated to turn it into public use for after the games, involving 8,000 jobs. It will be shut while this is done. The first section, around the Copperbox (which will be a 6,000 seat music and sport arena) will open July 2013. The area around the velopark, which will include road cycling and mountain bike trails will open late 2013. And the south section around the stadium, including the opening of the aquatic centre to the public, will be Easter 2014. In the meantime, a bunch of 'south bank' style art galleries and theatre companies will be offered the chance to locate there. And the media centre will be refitted as an IT start up hub.

All in all, it promises to be a re-invention of that part of London

The tower will be staying (at least it is there on the artists impressions of what the park will look like....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fred evans is going to have to settle for silver. The Kazak guy has this.

As for the Olympic village , whats staying permenantly once the games are over? Is it being left as is? I know the plan was to change the stadium to lower capacity for football or somethign else to take over.

See the Italian just has a left fork! Cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Evans outclassed here. Well done on silver though!

Volleyball is epic! Russia save 2 match points to bring it to a third set

See the Italian just has a left fork! Cool.

and then he fell. not so cool. :)

Is this just a straight race or timed? Doesnt look like a huge amount of places to pass.

As for the Olympic village , whats staying permenantly once the games are over? Is it being left as is? I know the plan was to change the stadium to lower capacity for football or somethign else to take over.

Why are they wasting money to lower the capacity:confused:

Yeah I heard it was going to become a football stadium and that they're selling it to try and get some money back.
    I know the aquatic centre will become up to the public in 2014 (I think) and the mountain bike place is staying.

Olympic village is staying (2,700 homes). Stadium plans are till up in the air. Is to be reduced to 60,000 seats. West Ham and Leyton Orient have submitted bids, as has a consortium that wants to turn part of the park ino a motor racing track.

Another 8,000 apartments, 3 schools and nine nurseries to be built around the edges of the park, with £1.3bn to be invested by a property group

And athletics world champs in 2017 of course

(and I detailed the plans for Olympic park in my earlier post)

• Advertisement

Why are they wasting money to lower the capacity:confused:

It was built to be able to be disassembled.

West Ham for instance, dont need an 80,000 seater stadium or the costs associated with running one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement