Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

bwatson wrote: »
    I wouldnt be surprised if the BBC campaign for Irish medalists to be included in the British medal parade in London in September the way they have been supporting Irish boxers! I always thought they were the British national broadcaster - RTE have gone firmly up in my opinions these games for actually showing faith in their own athletes first and foremost. Something the BBC need to learn from.
    And yet there were plenty of posts earlier in the games complaining about the ''jingoistic'' nature of the Beeb's coverage. They can't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Mick Dowling and Bernard Dunne - tension or what?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

blueser wrote: »
    Really? I didn't notice anything particularly anti-Irish about her. She's a p*** poor presenter, certainly.

But she's better looking than John Inverdale and Bill O'Herlihy!

Quite so, I guess the mute button has its uses

Two nights ago on the late night round up after Katie's semi win she said something to the effect

'The Irish Im meeting are telling me its just like a home games for them. It is a home games really. I mean its not like there will ever be a Dublin games. Will there? No?'

She looks towards Denise Lewis and Michael Johnson for a dig out of the hole she just dug and they both give her a stare back that suggested you made your bed on that one, love

Before anyone says it, I know shes probably right but I deny her the right to say it.

leahyl wrote: »
    I know but it's irrelevant - they wouldnt want to be part of that parade anyway because they're not British ;-)

Oh, you have read me wrong. I don't think will take part and neither do I have any desire for them to. I was simply joking. I'm sure there will be more than enough support on their return to Dublin anyway! I'm simply commenting on the clearly confused outlook of the BBC.

I know you were - hence the wink ;-)!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Good job Kenny is between them :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Do Kenny Egan and Dowling get along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I just flick away whenver I see them - wrecking my head.
    BBC doing a peiec eon BMXing now - apparently there are now tonnes of photographers there now after the crashes yesterday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

Do they not like each other?

Do they not like each other?

I have no idea - i just get a sense that they always seem to be trying to get one up on each other with the analysis - well moreso Dowling but I could be way off!

I will not have a bad word said about Bernard though :-D

Drat - still 38th on the table - Barnes's bronze didn't move us up any :(

We are 39th now :( - someone else must have won something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Dowling's the best boxing analyst RTE have without doubt imo.

Larbre34 wrote: »

Two nights ago on the late night round up after Katie's semi win she said something to the effect

'The Irish Im meeting are telling me its just like a home games for them. It is a home games really. I mean its not like there will ever be a Dublin games. Will there? No?'

She looks towards Denise Lewis and Michael Johnson for a dig out of the hole she just dug and they both give her a stare back that suggested you made your bed on that one, love

Before anyone says it, I know shes probably right but I deny her the right to say it.
    I seriously think you're reading too much into her comment. It would be fantastic to see the Olympics being held in Ireland, but let's be honest; I've got more chance of ''getting jiggy with it'' with Charlize Theron than there is of the Olympics coming here. I've seen Bill O'Herlihy coming out with equally (at best) dim remarks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I didn't know Paddy Barnes also won bronze in Beijing. :eek: I thought we only won two medals at that Olympics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I just flick away whenver I see them - wrecking my head.
    BBC doing a peiec eon BMXing now - apparently there are now tonnes of photographers there now after the crashes yesterday :D

I'm not surprised, those crashes were impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Sea Filly wrote: »
    I didn't know Paddy Barnes also won bronze in Beijing. :eek: I thought we only won two medals at that Olympics!

Lost 15-0 to the guy he was fighting today aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't get where people are saying there is tension between the boxing panel, some disagreements here or there but I'd prefer that than bland coverage.

Fair play to John Joe and Barnes was so unlucky, hopefully Conlan can do it, 3 finals would be some performance from them.

Oh and leaves obligatory comment criticising RTE and BBC and jingoism.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Paddy Power have Nevin 4/6 and Campbell 11/10.

Think they have it spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Probably not pc but a double edged sword for Mullingar with the final being on so late tomorrow night, hopefully there won't be any trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

I miss the old thread :(

Darren O' Neill HELLO! :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Pervert! :pac:

This BMX'ing is great, big crash there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Haha. Carnage at the BMX and the BBC commentator responds with 'beautiful' as the GB guy was already through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Larbre34 wrote: »
    blueser wrote: »
    Really? I didn't notice anything particularly anti-Irish about her. She's a p*** poor presenter, certainly.

But she's better looking than John Inverdale and Bill O'Herlihy!

Surely the former Leeds Rose is entitled to slag us a little bit ...

patmac wrote: »
    Probably not pc but a double edged sword for Mullingar with the final being on so late tomorrow night, hopefully there won't be any trouble.

Poor effort. You won't even make Trollympic finals with that

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »

Pervert! :pac:

This BMX'ing is great, big crash there :D

Just switched it on there - it's such fun! :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

1932 was the only time we had 2 individuals winning gold, would be great to match that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Rascasse wrote: »
    Haha. Carnage at the BMX and the BBC commentator responds with 'beautiful' as the GB guy was already through.

Fair play, saying what most people want to in that scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

we're top of the medals table in boxing now. Some achievement

Poor effort. You won't even make Trollympic finals with that
    Not trolling, just google Mullingar riots, there is a serious feud in Mullingar and there is a problem for the town trying to live up to the events in Bray, hopefully it will bring the communities closer to gather rather than bring up old feuds.

• Advertisement

baalthor wrote: »
    Surely the former Leeds Rose is entitled to slag us a little bit ...
    Wasn't that a sister?

Not trolling, just google Mullingar riots, there is a serious feud in Mullingar and there is a problem for the town trying to live up to the events in Bray, hopefully it will bring the communities closer to gather rather than bring up old feuds.

Just talking ****e so

Jesus, the swimming costumes on the synchronised swimmers! :-O

Jesus, the swimming costumes on the synchronised swimmers! :-O
    Oooh, my giddy aunt. I've got that same funny feeling I got when I used to shin up the rope in PE!

Christ those synchronised swimmers are AMAZING!!

Come on Spain

Woah Russia wins costume competition!!

Woah Russia wins costume competition!!

Where is this on can't find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

The way its going there wouldnt be enough room on the British open top bus for the Irish lads and lasses anyway ;) I must say though, as lovely as it is that the BBC want to show support I find it sad they do it at the expense of their own athletes!

So now the argument is that they are Biased towards the Irish :eek:....Jesus they can't win :confused:

I have watched most of the coverage on the BBC and found it excellent. Too many ads on RTE for my liking.

The comment made by Gabby Logan about it being like a home games for the irish was also made by Derval O'Rourke earlier in her BBC interview.

Can we put down the pitch forks against 'the Brits' and enjoy the games, the athletes achievements and the wonderful performances.

Where is this on can't find it

On the red button

• Advertisement

On the red button

F*8k f*%$%* £$*%(£$^ (%@(%; @* @$:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Aaron Cook will be sat at home with a big grin on his face. World number 1 taekwondo fighter not selected due to politics, and the guy they did select gets nothing.

wow big bmx crashes again - one girl trying to get back on the bike when she couldn';t even stand :eek:

Anyone been paying attention to Piers Morgan slating winning athletes not singing the anthem?

What an odious toad of a man

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Just talking ****e so
    Whatever, hard to bring up a difficult subject without personal abuse, I will leave it at that, hope all goes well on the night in and out of the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Orla99

:D

Whatever, hard to bring up a difficult subject without personal abuse, I will leave it at that, hope all goes well on the night in and out of the ring.

You brought it up to start a flame war. Not out of your concern for the people of Mullingar. It was a pathetic jibe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

just seen this linked on the RTE website. From the same kids who sand "Rocky Road to Poland".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Anyone been paying attention to Piers Morgan slating winning athletes not singing the anthem?

Apparently he donated to charity on behalf of Ireland because our anthem in particular was sung so well for Katies fight :confused:.

Seriously don't know what it has got to do with him how any athlete from any country sings. A Bradley Wiggins fan (Colm Quinn) gave him a great response on twitter:

“I was very disappointed @bradwiggins didn’t sing the anthem either. Show some respect to our Monarch please!” Piers Morgan

"@piersmorgan, I was disappointed when you didn’t go to jail for insider trading or phone hacking, but you know, each to his own."

• Advertisement

Apparently he donated to charity on behalf of Ireland because our anthem was sung so well for Katies fight :confused:.

Seriously don't know what it has got to do with him. A Bradley Wiggins fan (Colm Quinn) gave him a great response on twitter:

“I was very disappointed @bradwiggins didn’t sing the anthem either. Show some respect to our Monarch please!” Piers Morgan

"@piersmorgan, I was disappointed when you didn’t go to jail for insider trading or phone hacking, but you know, each to his own."

Haha brilliant! Piers Morgan is so pompous!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement