Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Interview 77 with the boxing team :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

So here it is on BBC 1 - the last event of London 2012. Ladies modern pentathlon shoot & run.

GB real chance of a medal. Ireland an outside chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Clare Balding: "And here we have the last live action of London 2012".

They were words that came around all too quickly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

RTEs coverage is an absolute shambles. Disgraceful.

The final event in the pentathlon is on right now and RTE are showing the basketball and now back in the studio explaining what the pentathlon is and how it works for the 15th time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

keith16 wrote: »

The final event in the pentathlon is on right now and RTE are showing the basketball and now back in the studio explaining what the pentathlon is and how it works for the 15th time.
    And you're surprised?

Looks like the Irish girl came 9th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

blueser wrote: »
    And you're surprised?

Not surprised it was bad. Quite surprised at quite how bad they managed to make it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

They actually weren't too bad at the start but the coverage has been a load of **** for the last few days.

Only showed five minutes of the second quarter in the basketball too, for no apparent reason...

And that's it. Jeez, that went fast. Nice way to finish for Team GB.

Must set Skyplus for the Eddie Butler Olympic summary. The Beijing one was very good

Not surprised it was bad. Quite surprised at quite how bad they managed to make it

I mean - you really have to try to make it that bad.

Like seriously. Repeatedly not showing live events with Irish athletes competing in order to show lads talkin bollocks in the studio.
    No you have to try to be bad to be THAT bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Well done Natalya. 9th place. Good way to finish the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Final event finished :(

That pentathlon is very interesting, a real mash-up of various other sports.
    Very enjoyable to watch, particularly when you get a random horse for the show jumping!

Water polo on bbc3

Edit: I like how the have integrated lasers. More sports need lasers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Like seriously. Repeatedly not showing live events with Irish athletes competing in order to show lads talkin bollocks in the studio.

Absolutely, most events the last few days have been shown delayed, in this age where everyone has plenty channels and options and internet access showing live coverage and results they decide to show the boxing from yesterday. There were basketball, handball and volleyball finals that could have been shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

steve9859 wrote: »

Must set Skyplus for the Eddie Butler Olympic summary. The Beijing one was very good
    One of the best commentators on the Beeb, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

When is that?

I think that they think they covering the 1972 Olympics or to the technophobic community. Its a touch of a button to find out results and to find out results inadvertently now a days. You only have to log on here, facebook or twitter to find out that the US Basketball team won. RTE are still trying to show parts of the match. They were showing Boxing from last night an hour or so ago between the chinese and thai lads . It was on other news channels last night about there being protests. It was all over twitter as well. Are we suppose to avoid all media outlets in the hope that RTE might show it? :confused:

They are devoid into thinking that there is a world outside RTE. Its 1972 over at RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

keith16 wrote: »

So so glad I was home these last couple of days to see it on the Beeb. Gonna stay at home this evening as well to watch the Closing Ceremony as well.

Hopefully the Channel 4 coverage of the Paralympics will be as good.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    When is that?

It will be at some stage in the slot on BBC between 7.30 and 9.00....before the closing ceremony.

(thats only my assumption now, but I have heard them say that he was going to do one, and that would be only time)

• Advertisement

Ughhhh this pentathlon guy is so dull

Namlub wrote: »
    Ughhhh this pentathlon guy is so dull

Knowledgeable pundit i feel though.

Did anyone else BBC3 just go wacky ?

The BBC are promising a super duper montage before 7 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

so thats it, just the closing ceremony left I have really enjoyed these games both for the Irish success and that they were the hottest olympics ever (the XXX Olympiad)

thanks to everyone on this thread for the debates, craic and general feelgood factor, also to westendgirlie for organising the league (Im hoping to medal)

Knowledgeable pundit i feel though.

Yeah he knows his stuff, just felt like he was repeating everything he said yesterday.

Basketball on again now, they'll probably switch to the shipping forecast or something halfway through mind :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

What is planned for the closing?

What is planned for the closing?

Beckhams wife and her dance crew chums are having a comeback gig :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Baby hook

Timmy Mac on rte2

Edit: and I spoke too soon they've cut to a Katie Taylor montage :rolleyes:

They will probably do some kind of montage, but I'd say they'll keep their powder dry for later. Probably a load of people finishing it up as we speak....

• Advertisement

They physically couldn't drag out the basketball any more.

Kevin Durant though :eek:

They actually weren't too bad at the start but the coverage has been a load of **** for the last few days.

Only showed five minutes of the second quarter in the basketball too, for no apparent reason...

It was generally good for the Swimming, most of the Athletics, the Live Boxing that invloved Irish Athletes and the final round of the sailing involving Annalise Murphy. Everything else was ****!

I would have expected them to show the Jonas V Underwood fight live, considering Katie would have been facing one of them, they didn't, I would have expected them to show the other Qtr Finals live, also considering Katie would have been facing them, the same applies to the Mens events, then analyse them after the related fights had finished. Also considering the progression of Annalise Murphy I thought they would have shown more of her rounds in the sailing.

The swimming and athletics coverage was quite good, but was disapointed that for nearly anytime an Irish Athlete finished they would go straight back to the studio to discuss them. These are the Blue Ribbon events of the whole thing, its what most people watch the Oympics for, rather than showing the same fight for the umtepmt time in the same day, show the all the events of the Swimming, and Athletics, then discuss the Irish participants in them.

As for today, the last day of the whole thing, show something live rather than discussing the same thing over and over and over. Why not have used these couple of hours between the final event and the closing ceremony to look over things, and highlight some of the other events of the day and the last couple of weeks.

This was a so called home games for Ireland considering how close it was to us, I expected alot more from RTE and was very disapointed with what I got. Some people think the Olympics are just Athletics, swimming and boxing. Its so so much more, RTE failed to show that, and for the people who knew what there was so much more of, RTE failed to deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

On one?

They physically couldn't drag out the basketball any more.

Kevin Durant though :eek:

F88k sake they just skipped half of the last quarter:rolleyes:

Farce. Basketball is reasonably popular in Ireland isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

irish-stew wrote: »
    This was a so called home games for Ireland considering how close it was to us, I expected alot more from RTE and was very disapointed with what I got. Some people think the Olympics are just Athletics, swimming and boxing. Its so so much more, RTE failed to show that, and for the people who knew what there was so much more of, RTE failed to deliver.

It was a great opportunity to showcase the less popular sports and expose people to them and hopefully generate more interest and participants in them. Something RTE sadly failed to grasp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is a close ceremony thread on the telly forum.

Now will there be a Para Olympics thread? eh eh?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    When is that?
    It will be at some stage in the slot on BBC between 7.30 and 9.00....before the closing ceremony.

(thats only my assumption now, but I have heard them say that he was going to do one, and that would be only time)

I just saw on the Sky banner that the Eddie Butler review is 7.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Great Olympics, well done to team gb for their record medal haul and to team Ireland

mike65 wrote: »

Why not just continue this one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Well its all the sport is over now, what do we do??

• Advertisement

OH FCUK.....RED BUTTON IS GONE. No live sport.....no Olympics. How the **** am I going to get through until 7.30!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its like the night before you go back to work after great 2 week holiday

Think BBC just showed that Montage, was welling up during it, then there was a clip of Katie Taylor just after she won in the middle of it. Nearly was fighting back the tears.

A Fabulous games, and fabulous BBC coverage, absolutly fabulous. Looking forward to their recap of the last two weeks coming up at 7.30, and then the closing ceremony.

Roll on the Paralympics in two weeks, and hopefully continued talk here.

So Team GB end up with the same number of golds as France, Germany and Australia combined. Nice bragging rights for the next 4 years.

Thanks. I just broke my bloody iPad!!!

Hopefully it will be contained here, in the London 2012 thread, I'm very proud of what has become of my creation and want it to continue into a part 3.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Best Games without question!!

Well done London!

OH FCUK.....RED BUTTON IS GONE. No live sport.....no Olympics. How the **** am I going to get through until 7.30!!!

I think most of the BBC news is going to be dedicated to it.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

RTE really don't cater for the more sophistacted viewer, I guess they presume those type of viewers will switch to the BBC. They're happy to cater for viewers who's interests only extends to the Irish competitors and superstars such as Bolt and Phelps, and don't care for much else

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement