Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

RTE Basketball commentators are brilliant fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Pops..hops..lols, Timmy is on fire here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Its like the night before you go back to work after great 2 week holiday
    And for me, it is the night before a two week holiday ends. A holiday in which I got to see Katie win her gold in the flesh :D

Now, back to catching up on two weeks of work e mails tomorrow morning :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

And for me, it is the night before a two week holiday ends. A holiday in which I got to see Katie win her gold in the flesh :D

Now, back to catching up on two weeks of work e mails tomorrow morning :(

Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    Delete

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

steve9859 wrote: »
    OH FCUK.....RED BUTTON IS GONE. No live sport.....no Olympics. How the **** am I going to get through until 7.30!!!

MUWUHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAH

Victory is mine!!!!

By not having a red button I am immune from this pain :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

From now on, every time I'll hear Lebron's name, in my head it will sound like the way Timmy says it :)

MUWUHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAH

Victory is mine!!!!

By not having a red button I am immune from this pain :D

Oh go and play with your live rewind for the next half hour.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

BOOMSHAKALAKA

"Kobe you're 33 ARE YOU BLOODY JOKING ME?"

:D

I'll miss Timmy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Its like the night before you go back to work after great 2 week holiday

And I saw an ad for the Rose of Tralee earlier which only compounded that end-of-summer, back to reality feeling. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I really don't want the olympics to end yet. It's finished too fast, 4 years is ages away.
    And it'll be on in American/Brazilian time in the next one..

• Advertisement

And the Olympics are back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

It's ok...we're back on. Phew!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

It'd be amazing if RTE started showing the NBA with Timmy commentating. I'd watch that all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I really don't want the olympics to end yet. It's finished too fast, 4 years is ages away.

There's some form of athletics on every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They need to increase the size of the Olympics and have it a month long.

Then have it in London every 4 years. Failing that, ask them can they for every 2nd or 3rd one and keep three others no further away than Berlin.

Just not on RTE.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There's regular athletics meets on. The diamond league was in new York the week before the gamed

They need to increase the size of the Olympics and have it a month long.

Then have it in London every 4 years. Failing that, ask them can they for every 2nd or 3rd one and keep three others no further away than Berlin.

When you were a kid, everything seemed bigger and longer. Looking back some of them seemed to go on for 3 or 4 weeks.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Just not on RTE.

:pac:

Thanks be to Jaysus

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Namlub wrote: »
    It'd be amazing if RTE started showing the NBA with Timmy commentating. I'd watch that all day.

I think Timmy commentating on any sport would make it watchable. Him and the guy from Hardy Bucks doing the sailing were the two best commentators of the Olympics imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Alright lads. just back from three weeks on the rigs. really looking forward to the games. what time does the opening ceremony kick off.
    nice to see all these images from bejing.
    hang on...jessica ennis didnt win gold in 08.........oh no.....

I never see the athletics when it's on I didn't even know they were. Are there swimming meets I enjoyed watching those ?
    What channel usually shows it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Nooooo it can't be over what now am i going to fill my mundane existance with:rolleyes:. Hate it when big events finish it's like going through the grieving process, first comes denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Eddie butlers look back just started on bbc 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Nooooo it can't be over what now am i going to fill my mundane existance with:rolleyes:. Hate it when big events finish it's like going through the grieving process, first comes denial.

And there aren't any big sporting events next year are there? Roll on the World Cup and Winter Olympics in 2014 then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

And there aren't any big sporting events next year are there? Roll on the World Cup and Winter Olympics in 2014 then

World athletics championships are on in 2013 as far as I know. Not the same but its something.

African Cup of nations, the World Athletic Championships, plus the annual tournaments such as the 6 Nations, Tour De France, and the Golf and Tennis Majors to name a few.

Well, well, well what can I say. It's all over. What a two weeks. Didn't think they'd be these good. London what a games it was and we'll never get anything like it again. Was never as glued to an event I'd say. Bloody hell I found myself intrigued by a fencing game and got briefly addicted to archery! Here are some of my highlights.

Usain Bolt Where better to start? 3 golds and proved any doubters there was wrong. The guy is entertainment personified.

Michael Phelps Most decorated olympian ever. He may not have hit the heights of four years ago but he is still something special. He retires as a legend.

David Rudisha In my view the greatest athlete at the games. May not get the plaudits of the above two but deserves more arguably!

Tennis As a tennis fan I was pleasantly surprised by the competitiveness of this tournament. The icing on the cake was Murray banishing the demons of a month ago in the exact same venue. There is no doubt about these professional athletes love for representing their countries.

Basketball- "Durantula"! They may not be as good as the dream team of 92 but this US team is a joy to behold. Special mention to Kevin Durant who got the highest points total in the history of the games.

Equality The gender balance couldn't have been far off 50/50. Great to see.

Tom Daley After a troubled year off the board if you will he bounced back from a nightmare preliminary round to secure a medal in a very competitive final in front of an electric atmosphere. He dedicated it all to his father.

The crowd At every event they made themselves heard and were amazing. The atmosphere was incredible at all times. Best crowd you'll see at a games

And my personal 5 best

5) Saudi Arabia's first female to partake in the games Sarah Attar. The sight of the crowd applauding her over the line was something special. Great day for women's rights in the country and a massive step forward.

4) THAT Saturday night- Saturday 4th August will most likely go down as the greatest night in British sporting history. 3 golds in no time at all. The atmosphere in the olympic stadium put the hairs up on the back of the neck!

3) Team GB. I maybe not British but they deserve every plaudit. 29 gold medals is phenomenal. Many against the odds. 16 years ago they got 1 gold. The likes of Wiggins, Ennis, Ainsley, Murray, Brownlee, Skelton, Hoy, Trott/Kenny!, Peddleton, and of course Farah will go down forever as olympic legends

2) Mo Farah. Two golds and an olympic hero. The moment he got over the line in the 5000 will stick forever. Britain's athlete of the games.

1) And finally what else but our Katie. Was in hospital for 2 of her fights but everything came to a stand still when she was on. The country expected and she delivered. To hear Amhrann na Bhfiann played at the games is special indeed. An Irish sporting legend and something I will remember forever.

So they're my own personal highlights from the games. Perhaps I forgot some :P Because they're my own ya can't argue :D but feel free to agree :D!

Of course not everything was positive

The bad

The empty seats from early on. South Korea's Shin A Lam being robbed in the fencing. Seeing a girl bawling her eyes out like that is not nice.

The ugly

The conduct of the Spanish football team on their elimination.

But overall I will never forget these games. Roll on 4 years. It may not be the same but it'll be something.

Now onto a closing ceremony where the torch will be extinguished...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The good news is that Rio is only 4 hours behind so at worst it'll be a 2 am finish and no early mornings :)

• Advertisement

Basketball- "Durantula"! They may not be as good as the dream team of 92 but this US team is a joy to behold. Special mention to Kevin Durant who got the highest points total in the history of the games.

Timmy Mac was calling him the Downtown Assasin earlier today :D

Anyone feeling inspired to take up a sport now ? Or reembrace an old sport

I'm going to get back running

Just seen that the paralympics are going to be shown live on C4 thats something at least and with a lot of irish participents as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

mike65 wrote: »
    The good news is that Rio is only 4 hours behind so at worst it'll be a 2 am finish and no early mornings :)

Think the next games should be on in Waterford, swimming in the Glass centre, Athletics and football in the RSC and we have the River Suir for all the rowing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'd love to try boxing tbh, though I'd probably be killed.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    David Rudisha In my view the greatest athlete at the games. May not get the plaudits of the above two but deserves more arguably!

+1

Also he has an Irish connection.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19206279

Just seen that the paralympics are going to be shown live on C4 thats something at least and with a lot of irish participents as well.

400 live hours across C4, More4, and additional channels on Satalite, and Cable.

• Advertisement

I'm going to join the gym again after about a years absence. I just want to be fit again.

Chris Hoy is lovely. He seems a real gentleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'll prob get back into the dressage....as long as they cann still get the saddle on me :pac:

I might try and get into swimming. I already enjoy it I've never competed.

Chris Hoy is lovely. He seems a real gentleman.

He nearly welled up there. Emotional for him. Remember he won SPOTY in 08 lovely bloke

• Advertisement

I might try and get into swimming. I already enjoy it I've never competed.

Did swimming competitively when I was 10 quit then for GAA and soccer and stuff, a serious regret of mine since actually. Do it the odd time now but poor technique gonna spend this coming year getting back into it

Watching the build up to the Closing Cermony on the beeb. Real party atmosphere going on. With the competition now finished the Athletes are going to be at it like bunnies tonight. Durex might have to get in some fresh stocks.

:D

Second montage from Eddie Butler.

:)

Actually, I might even tip down and collect the takeway before the opening ceremony, rather than getting it delivered :pac:

Might buy myself a bike, will definitely start back at the gym tomorrow

Actually, I might even tip down and collect the takeway before the opening ceremony, rather than getting it delivered :pac:

This is how champions are made!!

Opening Ceremony of the Paralympics? Must be a long walk.

;)

This show on BBC is epic. Reminds me how much I'll miss the games.

And what I'd give for Eddie Butler's voice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Anyone have a list of the Irish Paralympians?

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Did swimming competitively when I was 10 quit then for GAA and soccer and stuff, a serious regret of mine since actually. Do it the odd time now but poor technique gonna spend this coming year getting back into it

I think I have okay technique or so people say. I need to work on the breast stroke and butterfly I rarely ever do them but I would be able to with a bit of practice. I doing the butterfly in the swimming pool when you're on your own though. I don't think it's too late to get into it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement