Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Apparently he donated to charity on behalf of Ireland because our anthem was sung so well for Katies fight :confused:.

Seriously don't know what it has got to do with him. "

He supports Ireland too as he is Irish. His real surname is O'Meara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Rascasse wrote: »
    He supports Ireland too as he is Irish. His real surname is O'Meara.

I am not referring to him supporting Ireland or not, I meant what has it got to do with him whether an athlete sings their anthem to his liking or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I am not referring to him supporting Ireland or not, I meant what has it got to do with him whether an athlete sings their anthem to his liking or not?

He must have spent too much time judging talent shows......he can't turn it off now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Apparently he donated to charity on behalf of Ireland because our anthem was sung so well for Katies fight :confused:.

Seriously don't know what it has got to do with him. A Bradley Wiggins fan (Colm Quinn) gave him a great response on twitter:

“I was very disappointed @bradwiggins didn’t sing the anthem either. Show some respect to our Monarch please!” Piers Morgan

"@piersmorgan, I was disappointed when you didn’t go to jail for insider trading or phone hacking, but you know, each to his own."

He's a condescending prick that's why

He's genuinely one of the most detestable "celebrities" on the planet, and a cheap excuse for a journalist

He says that he'll donate money for every athlete who sings the anthem when winning. Completely unfair situation to put anyone under who may not want to sing the anthem for a number of reasons

And before anyone chims in with "but he's giving money to charity". Well he's giving 1k per anthem sung, which is a fraction of his vast wealth. Plenty of people give much more and do use doing so as a PR exersize

He makes me sick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Why are RTÉ showing yesterday's BMX crap when there are 5 live events going on at the moment ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Enough about Piers Morgan, lets get back to the games!!! :D

Lapin wrote: »
    Why are RTÉ showing yesterday's BMX crap when there are 5 live events going on at the moment ?

I reckon they must have to pay less to show repeats than to show live events

Lapin wrote: »

Its on toady too. I like it too. Much more entertaining than dressage anyway

He likes doing these twitter bet things. Doesn't bother me really as I'm sure the athletes don't care and his donation to GOSH is over £25k now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I am developing a little crush on Mariana Pajon in the BMX'ing :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Rascasse wrote: »
    He likes doing these twitter bet things. Doesn't bother me really as I'm sure the athletes don't care and his donation to GOSH is over £25k now.
    He's a big Arsenal fan (poor deluded sap!) and when Samir Nasri came to City, he wasn't best pleased and bet £10,000 with Samir as to which team would be the first to collect silverware after the transfer.

Piers lost!

:D

One lap final in the BMX. Anyone could win this if there a crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Many congrats to the BBCs coverage of the olympics, I must say it really has been a joy to watch the games on BBC1, BBC3, + the BBC red button/stream channels. The presenters have been second to none, their studio guests well picked, I cant praise the coverage highly enough, oh yeah and finally; They have been very accommodating towards all the Irish athletes too, almost as if they are part of the home team! < this has gone down very well among the Irish in Britain, as well as back here in Ireland. Ten out of ten for the BBC coverage of the London olympics.

It will be very quiet on the TV next week when its all over :(

Link to some of the photos Usain Bolt took last night with the camera he 'nabbed' from the journalist!

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/09/usain-bolt-nabs-photographers-dslr-snaps-awesome-pov-shots/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

kfallon wrote: »

the blonde presenting it is nice too :o

Link to some of the photos Usain Bolt took last night with the camera he 'nabbed' from the journalist!

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/09/usain-bolt-nabs-photographers-dslr-snaps-awesome-pov-shots/

Lol...I'm surprised they weren't simply all snaps of hot women in the crowd :D

LordSutch wrote: »
    Many congrats to the BBCs coverage of the olympics, I must say it really has been a joy to watch the games on BBC1, BBC3, + the BBC red button/stream channels. The presenters have been second to none, their studio guests well picked, I cant praise the coverage highly enough, oh yeah and finally; They have been very accommodating towards all the Irish athletes too, almost as if they are part of the home team! < this has gone down very well among the Irish in Britain, as well as back here in Ireland. Ten out of ten for the BBC coverage of the London olympics.

Coverage has been good but the interviews have been for the most part, awful.

The guy at the edge of the track is poor and Gary Lineaker is woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Mountain biking on tomorrow,should be interesting

The BMX's have been one of the highlights of the games for me,mental craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

bwatson wrote: »
    I wouldnt be surprised if the BBC campaign for Irish medalists to be included in the British medal parade in London in September the way they have been supporting Irish boxers! I always thought they were the British national broadcaster - RTE have gone firmly up in my opinions these games for actually showing faith in their own athletes first and foremost. Something the BBC need to learn from.
    Ireland have many boxers and indeed other athletes from Northern Ireland representing them. BBC are the national broadcaster for the citizens of GB and NI, not simply 'Team GB'

Pretty obvious there's going to be an overlap, small-mindedness on your part to criticise them for supporting athletes who
    1) In many cases come from the UK
    2) Are supported by a sizeable number of people in NI. The same people who pay their license fee to the BBC and not to rté

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Its on toady too. I like it too. Much more entertaining than dressage anyway

Wonder why its listed as last week on the 2012 Website :confused:.

In fairness anything is more entertaining than the dressage. At least BMX has an element of sport about it. Its just not my cup of tea. I was a bit harsh in calling it crap.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Decent article and some great photos about bolts 200m race here:

I like this quote:
    Maybe he just knows. He knows he is the best; he knows there is nobody in the field who can touch him. He’s that big kid on the cover of the Fatboy Slim album. ‘I’m #1 so why try harder,’ it says on his T-shirt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Ireland have many boxers and indeed other athletes from Northern Ireland representing them. BBC are the national broadcaster for the citizens of GB and NI, not simply 'Team GB'

Pretty obvious there's going to be an overlap, small-mindedness on your part to criticise them for supporting athletes who
    1) In many cases come from the UK
    2) Are supported by a sizeable number of people in NI. The same people who pay their license fee to the BBC and not to rté

You can't win with some people.

Jimoslimos wrote: »

Honestly I'd quite happy pay my licence fee to the BBC in exchange for a red button over the bull**** RTE coverage :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

LordSutch wrote: »

It wont sure wont the paralympics be starting then?

Wow

BBC interviewing/profile Sean White for those into snowboarding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

WumBuster wrote: »
    It wont sure wont the paralympics be starting then?

First week in September - its never on straight afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Decent article and some great photos about bolts 200m race here:

I like this quote:
    Maybe he just knows. He knows he is the best; he knows there is nobody in the field who can touch him. He’s that big kid on the cover of the Fatboy Slim album. ‘I’m #1 so why try harder,’ it says on his T-shirt.

Lol love the pic of Bolt and the mascot :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

kfallon wrote: »

Furthermore with some poetic licence her surname could be translated to 'epic ****.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Just watching the volleyball, does anyone know why one player on each team wears a different coloured jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Just watching the volleyball, does anyone know why one player on each team where's a different coloured jersey?

the captain, maybe?:confused:In 1998 the libero player was introduced internationally.[13] The libero is a player specialized in defensive skills: the libero must wear a contrasting jersey color from his or her teammates and cannot block or attack the ball when it is entirely above net height. When the ball is not in play, the libero can replace any back-row player, without prior notice to the officials. This replacement does not count against the substitution limit each team is allowed per set, although the libero may be replaced only by the player whom he or she replaced.
    The libero may function as a setter only under certain restrictions. If she/he makes an overhand set, she/he must be standing behind (and not stepping on) the 3-meter line; otherwise, the ball cannot be attacked above the net in front of the 3-meter line. An underhand pass is allowed from any part of the court.
    The libero is, generally, the most skilled defensive player on the team. There is also a libero tracking sheet, where the referees or officiating team must keep track of whom the libero subs in and out for. There may only be one libero per set (game), although there may be a different libero in the beginning of any new set (game).
    Furthermore, a libero is not allowed to serve, according to international rules, with the exception of the NCAA women's volleyball games, where a 2004 rule change allows the libero to serve, but only in a specific rotation. That is, the libero can only serve for one person, not for all of the people for whom he or she goes in. That rule change was also applied to high school and junior high play soon after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Did i completely miss the mountain biking or has it been on yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

garv123 wrote: »

It's been on. Disastrous for the Brits!

steve9859 wrote: »
    It's been on. Disastrous for the Brits!

Feck, wanted to see some of that

• Advertisement

Just watching the volleyball, does anyone know why one player on each team wears a different coloured jersey?

He's the Libero. Doesn't have to get substituted like the others. Is a purely defensive player....doesn't serve or make attacking shots. Normally the smallest and is the most skilful. Might act as a de-facto captain sometimes, but he isn't the captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Its on tomorrow and sunday

Mountain biking ?!?!?

Feck, wanted to see some of that

My bad....was thinking bmx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I presume something bad happened to Liam Philips in the Mens BMX final? Finsished a minute and a half behind the leader.

• Advertisement

When is/was the marathon ?

Mountain biking ?!?!?

Yup,

People are giving out about how easy the course is.
    Some of the comments are funny
    1996: Cross Country Mountain biking makes its debut in the summer Olympic games in Atlanta as one of the most successful new competition ever.
    2008: Beijing: Olympic mountain biking rises to new heights with the most technical course ever to apear in the Olympics to date.
    2012: London: Mountain biking is silently removed from the Olympics and is replaced with a newer, more intense and momre competitive sport guaranteed to challange and amaze!
    "Family Recreational Path riding"

I presume something bad happened to Liam Philips in the Mens BMX final? Finsished a minute and a half behind the leader.

Fell off, Dutch guys foot slipped out of the pedal clip and was struggling cos it it, and two more lads fell off on the last turn.

Yup,

People are giving out about how easy the course is.
    Some of the comments are funny
    "Family Recreational Path riding"

Wow that does look easy, I've only mountain biked twice, both times in Ballyhoura and Ballyhoura looks a lot harder than that.

I imagine that is not much of a challenge to skilled mountain bikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Tomorrow isn't it?? AT least I'm 90% sure

Wow that does look easy, I've only mountain biked twice, both times in Ballyhoura and Ballyhoura looks a lot harder than that.

I imagine that is not much of a challenge to skilled mountain bikers.

Looks like a joke alright.. Id imagine lads with road bikes could nearly complete that course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Sunday morning

Anyone watching the Basketball,good game,wont give the score just in case a few are waiting for "DOWNTOWN" later on RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Anyone watching the Basketball,good game,wont give the score just in case a few are waiting for "DOWNTOWN" later on RTE

Delighted they're winning good old comeback. Will give US a better game anyway imo.

Commentators are a joke though. One even suggested one basket is easier score in than the other. Have to listen to this crap why can't RTE show this live!

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Delighted they're winning good old comeback. Will give US a better game anyway imo.

Commentators are a joke though. One even suggested one basket is easier score in than the other. Have to listen to this crap why can't RTE show this live!

Ya the commentators are very poor on the beeb when it comes to Basketball
    Timmy is the man

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement