Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Paddy Barnes for Taoiseach!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Why don't the BBC et al show some more obscure sports throughout non-Olympic years? All the talk about 'inspiring a generation', and from next week onwards; all you'll hear about is the usual shite about Ballotelli and his most recent publicity stunts.

Easy come, easy go

That's a great shout, to be honest. They should bring back Grandstand every Saturday afternoon. Fill it with cycling, handball, volleyball and whatever else.

I'd genuinely love to be able to watch Handball regularly. It was the highlight of the games, for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Paddy Barnes for Taoiseach!!!!!!!

Do you not have to be Irish for that position? ;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

el diablo wrote: »
    Do you not have to be Irish for that position? ;)

dont start....just dont start:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They should do a David Attenborough documentary about the life and death of sperm. Have the ****er narrate while climbing a fallopian tube with those things swimming past him at high speed

You're at least a hundred million billion trillion times less likely to exist than you are to win an Olympic medal.. so we're all winners really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

It's like that feeling now where you're hungover and cleaning up after the party, all that went before is but a distant memory. Work is going to be **** tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

They should do a David Attenborough documentary about the life and death of sperm. Have the ****er narrate while climbing a fallopian tube with those things swimming past him at high speed

You're at least a hundred million billion trillion times less likely to exist than you are to win an Olympic medal.. so we're all winners really!

David Attenborough ?????

Are you kidding ? Timmy Mac more like:
    "BOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM SHAKA LAKA.........and that one came from WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, WWWWWWAAAAAYYYYYYYY DOWNNNNNTOWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Who needs a gold medal when you're the fastest sperm out of millions

By the way, how drunk are you coming out with that sentamental tripe ???? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

My sig is now an Olympic commemoration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

the IOC are really pissing me off already. BBC news are only showing stills of everything now. footage from inside the park is copyright and even though they did incredible work with the presentation, they can't show any action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Jessie J sings 'It's not about the money' while in a Rolls Royce with no hint of irony then destroys a Queen song and she's amazing, but Muse are drivel??

LOL.

I think the whole closing ceremony was crap, apart from Madness and The Who

Just did some pushups. Starting early for Rio :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I just went to the fridge and did some weightlifting with my can on the way back :D

I vote to include drinking in the next games, then we would have a clean sweep in drinking also same athletes in boxing/taekwando/judo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

just how many is 'some'?

is it less than 5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

nice_very wrote: »
    I just went to the fridge and did some weightlifting with my can on the way back :D

I vote to include drinking in the next games, then we would have a clean sweep in drinking also same athletes in boxing/taekwando/judo

we would also lift the gold silver and bronze for stereotyping :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Just had a look at how much London prices were.
    The one I actually would've wanted to see is one of the most expensive. The opening and closing is pretty pricey too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/18185254

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

leahyl wrote: »
    Yes what's your point? IMO Muse are absolute drivel - but hey each to their own

Why didn't Muse play Glorious, it would've been so much more fitting for the occasion.

Must admit I didn't hate Jessie J, but maybe it was to do with her skimpy outfit. Prize for worst song of the night for me went to George Michael's second number. The Who were the best as usual & Eric Idle & Russel Brand were alright too. Elbow also.

Bye bye Olympics you were great! Hasta el proximo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Just realised Annie Lennox must only do these big events to boost her CD sales in the following weeks, she did Live 8 too but you never hear of her otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the Olympics and the Brits did a fantastic job hosting.

And well done to our athletes especially our medal winners.

Thanks to all who've made this an epic thread. Its been a lot of fun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the Games and I'm a bit sad they're over. There were many highlights over the course of the two weeks and I'm happy to say I was lucky enough to sample part of the action and atmosphere over there.

The good:

The opening ceremony: I thought this was an excellent, well thought out spectacle. Although it lacked the shock and awe of the Beijing ceremony, it more than made up for it in its humour and surreality. I did think wheeling out Paul McCartney was a mistake though as his voice is completely shot at this stage.

The Athletes performances: There are probably too many to mention, but Mo Farah, David Rushida, Usain Bolt and the Jamaican sprint team, Michael Phelps and of course the Irish boxing team all stood out as exceptional among the worlds best.

The volunteers: Having lived in London for a few years, the volunteers truly made the games. Their enthusiasm was infectious and it was unusual to see so many people in London with smiles on their faces. They did their often really monotonous jobs well away from the action with huge pride. LOCOG should be extremely grateful to them.

The atmosphere: London can be extremely proud of the party they put on for the world. Lots of colour all across the city, people were even talking to one another on the tube!

The Mediocre

The closing ceremony: a tad of a let down after an amazing two weeks. The sound/miming was pretty awful and it made me realise that the UK is now well past its best in producing quality music. All the pensioners seemed to be wheeled out for this.

The security: Nothing really wrong with it, just the paid security just didn't seem to have the same enthusiasm as the volunteers - both G4S and the military. It was otherwise relatively quick it only took 15-20 mins to clear the airport like security.

The food in the venues: Overpriced but I guess that is par for the course at events but OK quality. Selection was limited enough, and the up-selling by vendors was annoying.

The bad:

Ticketing: Although it was flagged up in the report following the Beijing games as a potential issue for future games LOCOG really took the eye off the ball with this one. It was proclaimed that these would be the games for everyone, a spectator first approach, but it really didn't live up to that promise. Despite venues being claimed being stuffed to the gunwales, the reality was that for plenty of events it appeared that at least 10% of seats were empty. I attended one of the boxing semi finals and behind me there was a completely empty row of seats. There were plenty of other instances in the arena with bunches of empty seats, not to mention an entire section of about 100 vacant seats. The other events I was at and saw on TV were all the same (apart from certain athletics finals) In the mens basketball finals there were a couple of rows at the front with tarpaulin covering them to hide them and soldiers sitting in the remaining. Given the amount of money the UK taxpayer had given to stage the games a better effort to ensure those that wanted to attend should have been given every opportunity to attend. It was a shame they got the ticketing wrong as its the only real blot on the copybook for LOCOG.

I have to say I cannot wait for Rio and if at all possible I'm going to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

The closing was pretty tame/rubbish but London and Britain put on a great show. Regardless of historical wrongs, modern multi-cultural Britain should be among the great nations of the world. This Olympics proved they can do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

The closing ceremony: a tad of a let down after an amazing two weeks. The sound/miming was pretty awful and it made me realise that the UK is now well past its best in producing quality music. All the pensioners seemed to be wheeled out for this.
    If you think it's past its prime producing new music and you are ageist regarding the music and musicians of the past, then the only thing that would have pleased you would have been what? 3 hours of poetry perhaps or maybe a ballet extravaganza? I do agree with you about last night not being the best but for the opposite reason, not enough of some of the actual legends of British music, the likes of Take That and the Spicy Girlies are mediocre kiddie music, not worthy of such an occasion.

For a country that has produced many of the world's finest musicians, singers, songwriters, bands and actual music for over half a century, whoever decided on last night's line up should be locked up in a room and forced to listen to the Spicy Girlies at full volume for a week till their ears bleed and their hair falls out.

Still well done overall London for what actually matters, The Sport, all in all quite an enjoyable few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

What in the name olympus am i going to do for next week?????

God i already miss them finely tuned athletic machines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

Colmo52 wrote: »
    Martin Freeman on drums.

Zak Starkey - son of Beatles drummer Ringo Starr ...

So Monday Morning Blues now...Feel a bit like im hungover now from a two week bender!

Thank you London for a great last couple of weeks.., you did yourselves proud. From opening ceremony, the coverage of the sports (red button:)) to the closing ceremony, I enjoyed every single minute!

Thanks as well to everyone here - kept me up to date when working, and enjoyed all your banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I can't believe Coldplay or Elton John didn't make an appearance actually - great british acts imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Monday morning, it's raining out and no more Olympics.....it doesn't get much worse than this! :(

Think I need a hug :p

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Elton John's voice is past it as is Paul McCartney I agree Coldplay were missed.

It was a great show in General, though Jessie J, Tinie Tempah, and Taio Cruz together were the best in my opinion.

Cian O'Connor must be some miserable git, heading off home early to prepare for the Dublin horse show (happens every year he will be at that in his fifties) and missing the best party of the 2 weeks! Its really hard to like that guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I have to admit, the London Olympics has completely changed my perception of Britain.

Prior to the Olympics, I thought they were crap at sport but good at music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Thank God it's over. And screw the homecoming BS, can't we park it and move on?

Fantastic achievement by Katie, Annalise, Rob H and the other boxers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Closing Ceremony:

Why Emile Sande again? She already performed at the opening ceremony.
    Parklife by Blur during the street-party segment. Were Blur meant to be there? It seemed strange that Parklife wasn’t performed “live”, when the acts either side of that number were being performed live by their artists.
    One Direction and Spellbound – did Cowell pull in a few favours? I actually remember the year they were on Britain's Got Talent, him saying something like “I can see you at the opening ceremony of the London Olympics" .
    George Michael – “great”, I thought, “he’ll get the crowd going” And he did, until that second song which no-one knew. Stick to the classics ffs! How did the organisers allow that?
    Why did the Kaiser Chiefs sing a The Who song when The Who were there themselves?
    Brian May showboating on a guitar for about 5 mins. Self-indulgent.
    The Pink Floyd song performed by Ed Sheeran. It was neither a song to get people in the party mood, nor was it a poignant song to get the emotions flowing.

The opening ceremony had charm, humour, quirkiness, soul, but this left me a feeling bit cold. It felt disjointed. It’s meant to be a party and I feel they just didn’t get it right. I felt sorry for the athletes having to stand through some of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭fluke

Closing Ceremony:

Why Emile Sande again? She already performed at the opening ceremony.
    Parklife by Blur during the street-party segment. Were Blur meant to be there? It seemed strange that Parklife wasn’t performed “live”, when the acts either side of that number were being performed live by their artists.
    One Direction and Spellbound – did Cowell pull in a few favours? I actually remember saying something like “I can see you at the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.
    George Michael – “great”, I thought, “he’ll get the crowd going” And he did, until that second song which no-one knew. Stick to the classics ffs! How did the organisers allow that?
    Why did the Kaiser Chiefs sing a The Who song when The Who were there themselves?
    Brian May showboating on a guitar for about 5 mins. Self-indulgent.
    The Pink Floyd song performed by Ed Sheeran. It was neither a song to get people in the party mood, nor was it a poignant song to get the emotions flowing.

The opening ceremony had charm, humour, quirkiness, soul, but this left me a feeling bit cold. It felt disjointed. It’s meant to be a party and I feel they just didn’t get it right. I felt sorry to the athletes having to stand through some of it.

Well done to London for doing a great Olympics and and great opening ceremony. The closing was cack though.

Olympics hangover is starting to kick in, think I'll go for a jog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Yep... post Olympic depression has kicked in today. The rain didn't help.

There's a show on tonight on the BBC where they go through the highkights of the games, granted it'll all be team GB but still it might be worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

The final result in the AH boards 2012 Olympics Medal table is as follows

In joint 3rd place, representing the software and web development forum forum, the bronze medal is awarded to - mynameisURL

In joint 3rd place, representing the mysteries of the unexplained forum, the bronze medal is awarded to - Jesus Shaves

In 2nd place, representing the sunshine and lollipops forum, the silver medal is awarded to - nice very

And the winner of the 2012 boards.ie Medals Table, representing the Atheism and Agnosticism forum, the gold medal is awarded to - GOD

Thank you to everyone that participated. You are all winners :) Yes, even you deftlefthand & kfallon :D

god 465
    nicevery 435
    jesus shaves 432
    mynameisurl 432
    diegomaradona 430
    tadghSk 420
    irish stew 375
    sparks 344
    pherekydes 335
    barney92 335
    samich 311
    mars bar 306
    westendgirlie 249
    deftlefthand 236
    kfallon 232

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Elton John's voice is past it as is Paul McCartney I agree Coldplay were missed.

It's actually not.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

I thought he was poor at the jubilee concert. A lot of the old timers voices have lost a few levels and cannot hit the high notes anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The final result in the AH boards 2012 Olympics Medal table is as follows...

Well done westendgirlie for keeping on top of that! At least I broke the 300 mark! :D

In joint 3rd place, representing the software and web development forum forum, the bronze medal is awarded to - mynameisURL

In joint 3rd place, representing the mysteries of the unexplained forum, the bronze medal is awarded to - Jesus Shaves

In 2nd place, representing the sunshine and lollipops forum, the silver medal is awarded to - nice very

And the winner of the 2012 boards.ie Medals Table, representing the Atheism and Agnosticism forum, the gold medal is awarded to - GOD

Thank you to everyone that participated. You are all winners :) Yes, even you deftlefthand & kfallon :D

god 465
    nicevery 435
    jesus shaves 432
    mynameisurl 432
    diegomaradona 430
    tadghSk 420
    irish stew 375
    sparks 344
    pherekydes 335
    barney92 335
    samich 311
    mars bar 306
    westendgirlie 249
    deftlefthand 236
    kfallon 232

There's a party in gods honour next Sunday morning in your local church.

• Advertisement

just how many is 'some'?

is it less than 5?

god 465
    nicevery 435
    jesus shaves 432
    mynameisurl 432
    diegomaradona 430
    tadghSk 420
    irish stew 375
    sparks 344
    pherekydes 335
    barney92 335
    samich 311
    mars bar 306
    westendgirlie 249
    deftlefthand 236
    kfallon 232

I cry fix. God had prior knowledge through his omnipotence :mad:

Usain Bolt's fist-bump with one of the volunteers.

Look at his face at the end. So cute :)

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii492/ringerminger/boltfistbump.gif

god 465
    nicevery 435
    jesus shaves 432
    mynameisurl 432
    diegomaradona 430
    tadghSk 420
    irish stew 375
    sparks 344
    pherekydes 335
    barney92 335
    samich 311
    mars bar 306
    westendgirlie 249
    deftlefthand 236
    kfallon 232

I'm gonna need more funding for Rio :pac:
    Usain Bolt's fist-bump with one of the volunteers.

Look at his face at the end. So cute :)

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii492/ringerminger/boltfistbump.gif[/QUOTE]

That is brilliant, has cheered me up on this shite day. You have to love Bolt, he just has that touch of class about him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

The world's best athletes were pissed and all went back to the same village. Olympic winners of 20 years' time were made last night. I wonder where Paddy Barnes ended up, probably buried into one of them shot putters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

patmac wrote: »
    The world's best athletes were pissed and all went back to the same village. Olympic winners of 20 years' time were made last night. I wonder where Paddy Barnes ended up, probably buried into one of them shot putters.
    Dutch old dolls Hockey team no doubt.

kfallon wrote: »
    I'm gonna need more funding for Rio :pac:

You haven't made the standard to receive Sports Council funding. You're fucked :D

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »

I hope for his sake it wasn't next to this

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Photo/06/68/01/66801_FULL-PRT.jpg

:eek:

You haven't made the standard to receive Sports Council funding. You're fucked :D

I'll fund meself so, I'll be back in 4 years time to show ye all! Only through adversity can you really triumph, I will conquer ye all in Rio!!!

*orders a shitload of steroids online*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Thanks very much everybody. I'll see you in less then four years time.

kfallon wrote: »
    I hope for his sake it wasn't next to this

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Photo/06/68/01/66801_FULL-PRT.jpg

:eek:

Breaking news on the Beeb - she has tested positive for drugs and medal has been stripped.

No article to link yet just the red banner thingy

Breaking news on the Beeb - she has tested positive for drugs and medal has been stripped.

No article to link yet just the red banner thingy

NO WAY :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement