Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Breaking news on the Beeb - she has tested positive for drugs and medal has been stripped.

No article to link yet just the red banner thingy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19242736

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Breaking news on the Beeb - she has tested positive for drugs and medal has been stripped.

No article to link yet just the red banner thingy

Large levels of Testosterone in her by any chance? :P
    NO WAY :eek::eek:

They found a mickey between her legs :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

methenolone whatever that is

Edit: It does have testosterone like effects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metenolone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

patmac wrote: »
    The world's best athletes were pissed and all went back to the same village. Olympic winners of 20 years' time were made last night.

If that did happen then they were conceived in the UK and I'm claiming them for Team GB. :D
    Were Blur meant to be there? It seemed strange that Parklife wasn’t performed “live”, when the acts either side of that number were being performed live by their artists.

Blur were playing at the concert being put on simultaneously in Hyde Park.

methenolone whatever that is

Edit: It does have testosterone like effects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metenolone[/QUOTE]

Drugs or no drugs you'd defo have the wages ready for her when you get home every Friday :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

kfallon wrote: »
    [
    Drugs or no drugs you'd defo have the wages ready for her when you get home every Friday :pac:

HULK SMASH!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looking forward to the Paralympics,was kinda strange getting up this morning and there was feck all on TV to watch,ah well back to watching SSN and catch up all the football gossip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Someone made a very good point in another thread in that it should be spread out to 3 weeks.

Would be able to watch more Sports at one time and we would still have another week now of gripping Sport.

The events I really got into was the Weightlifting, Canoeing/Kayaking sprints & Long distance, and BMX

My favourite was Boxing, but always been the way. I hope to get to see more of my new favourite events in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I never knew sailing could be such a nail biting sport. I am a new fan

Only 16 days till opening of paralympics and I cannot wait!

Paddy Barnes I saw got more air time last night then he did for his 4 fights. I presume RTE had same pictures as bbc which is where I watched the closing ceremony.

Did anyone see the clip which was only couple seconds long of Paddy Barnes stuck into between group of girls looking like lost child? (it was near the end of the ceremony)

he is a legend, he really is.

• Advertisement

Will Channel 4 have the red button option for the Paralympics?

They will have the red button but they've never done it before whereas the BBC have been using it for ten years so I'd guess it won't be quite as polished a service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

I have a horrible feeling channel 4 are going to butcher the Paralympics by turning it into a big sad human interest story rather then covering the sport. I really hope I'm wrong.

Channel 4 have been covering paralympic sports/sportspersons for the last couple of years. The features seemed ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Wow Shane Byrne, eh I mean, that shot putter from Belarus was doping.

#notsurprisedthestateofhimehImeanher

Channel 4 have been covering paralympic sports/sportspersons for the last couple of years. The features seemed ok.

As long as it doesn't interfere with their Saturday Racing Broadcast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Does a separate flame travel from Greece for the Paralympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cricketfan

Someone made a very good point in another thread in that it should be spread out to 3 weeks.

Would be able to watch more Sports at one time and we would still have another week now of gripping Sport.

The events I really got into was the Weightlifting, Canoeing/Kayaking sprints & Long distance, and BMX

My favourite was Boxing, but always been the way. I hope to get to see more of my new favourite events in the future.

Yes, the only criticism I could find was that at some points there was too much going on at any one time. Even spreading it out by 3/4 more days would have accommodated that and really boosted the more minority sports even more. Apart from all the obvious ones, it was the handball this time I got to enjoy. Going to try and follow it more on Eurosport.

Wonder will many more medals be stripped in the coming weeks?

Already have 1 today. I feel really sorry for Valerie Adams and the person in 4th in Shot Putt.

They will never feel the real experience of being handed the medal they should have won and get the recognition they deserved for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Already have 1 today. I feel really sorry for Valerie Adams and the person in 4th in Shot Putt.

They will never feel the real experience of being handed the medal they should have won and get the recognition they deserved for it.

Hope not. may even hear of some in the coming years though :(

+1 for adding an extra week to the games, and spreading out the events. I felt I missed a lot with so much going on at the same time.

Rather the Belarussian's medal was stripped than her to be honest :o

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this homecomong doesn't add up, with athletes saying they want to go straight home to rest... but they can do that after the homecoming event, i mean they have the rest of the week off to do whatever they want once its all over, doesn't make sense to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Wasn't there rumours that positive tests from the previous Olympics would be announced after these games?

fryup wrote: »
    this homecomong doesn't add up, with athletes saying they want to go straight home to rest... but they can do that after the homecoming event, i mean they have the rest of the week off to do whatever they want once its all over, doesn't make sense to me

I would imagine a lot of the athletes who didn't do as well as expected don't want any kind of homecoming and so are doing their best to get out of it tbh. I don't blame them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

kfallon wrote: »
    I would imagine a lot of the athletes who didn't do as well as expected don't want any kind of homecoming and so are doing their best to get out of it tbh. I don't blame them!

fair enough if someone doesn't want to be involved in it well then let them feel free to do what they like, but that shouldn't stop it from taking place

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Wasn't there rumours that positive tests from the previous Olympics would be announced after these games?

Did not hear of that. If true it would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

cricketfan wrote: »
    Yes, the only criticism I could find was that at some points there was too much going on at any one time. Even spreading it out by 3/4 more days would have accommodated that and really boosted the more minority sports even more. Apart from all the obvious ones, it was the handball this time I got to enjoy. Going to try and follow it more on Eurosport.
    Logistically it would be a nightmare and to add another week would be way too expensive security wise. The best solution would be to have 2 countries hosting 2 weeks at a time, one for Aquatics, swimming, diving etc and maybe team sports like soccer basketball etc and then add the athletics and the rest in the second fortnight and spread it over a month. Would we get sick of it/ I doubt it.
    I will definitely have a lot more interest in all the various World and European Championships in boxing,swimming etc that will be on from now on, It would be great if Ireland got one of these.

Jimoslimos wrote: »

I think I read somewhere that there is a 7 year limit on bringing a doping action against an Olympic athlete. So any potential cheats from Beijing could still be revealed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Watched the closing at the shambolic mess that was Victoria Park last night. Closing ceremony itself was lost in that pretty dour expose of all things 'great' in BritPop. The fashion segment was totally embarassing too....Why and what relevance had it? I made the trek across London for the kids and they fell asleep from boredom. I don't think Rio or anywhere else will be bigging up the 'how great we are' aspect. The 'needing to be loved' theme of the games was all a bit cringeworthy to be honest.
    Volunteers where mostly excellent throughout the games though and most events where well organised. The womens walk being a bit of a disaster.

• Advertisement

What sport(s) if any do ye see yerselves trying to follow in the coming months/years? Thought it'd be interesting to see. Think I'll keep a closer eye on athletics myself

Also what did ye feel ye got from the games as such (for want of a better expression!!)? Like for example it has inspired me to want to take up swimming again, as I had a huge interest in it when I was younger. Be interesting of course to see if it lasts ;)

Perhaps some of ye want to take up boxing, have become volleyball fans, want to do marathons or just want to get fitter in general!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Did not hear of that. If true it would be interesting.
    Think it has something to do with new human growth hormone tests and the 'biological passport' recently introduced. Of course all the samples from Beijing would need to be re-tested.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    What sport(s) if any do ye see yerselves trying to follow in the coming months/years? Thought it'd be interesting to see. Think I'll keep a closer eye on athletics myself

Also what did ye feel ye got from the games as such (for want of a better expression!!)? Like for example it has inspired me to want to take up swimming again, as I had a huge interest in it when I was younger. Be interesting of course to see if it lasts ;)

Perhaps some of ye want to take up boxing, have become volleyball fans, want to do marathons or just want to get fitter in general!

I definitely want to get fitter and would like to take up a bit of swimming. Nothing crazy but a couple of trips a week would be nice.

I'm going to look into if there's anywhere to take up some handball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Archery....might have to start a club though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Best of luck to them trying to take back that medal from the Belorussian.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Archery....might have to start a club though. :(

You can always take a trip down to Killary harbour in Galway/Mayo I think, they have archery there anyway ;)

And kayaking. A great day out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm going to look into if there's anywhere to take up some handball.

Have a look here Beefy:

http://www.olympichandball.org/

There's a club locator on the website. I think someone involved in the organistation posted the link a few days ago.

Wouldn't mind having a go myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

What sport would be the easiest to qualify for the next olympics in?

Assuming you're a 24 yr old, 5'10, 16.5 stone weight with no sporting talent or ability, a penchant for mightymacs and can get out of breath by watching athletes only warming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Homecoming on RTE now

Schwiiing wrote: »

Assuming you're a 24 yr old, 5'10, 16.5 stone weight with no sporting talent or ability, a penchant for mightymacs and can get out of breath by watching athletes only warming up.

Darts! You sound like you have the perfect attributes for it! Just need to get it in the games now.....oh and become half decent at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Shooting, archery, stuff like that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

100 metre sprint would be the obvious choice then gradually progressing to the 200 metres.

You could also give the 5k a whack, go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

fryup wrote: »

They'll be hanging from the closing ceremony! :pac:
    What sport(s) if any do ye see yerselves trying to follow in the coming months/years?

Olympic Handball. Played it once or twice in school and I quite liked it.

Or Mountain Biking.
    Have a look here Beefy:

http://www.olympichandball.org/

There's a club locator on the website. I think someone involved in the organistation posted the link a few days ago.

Wouldn't mind having a go myself.

Whoo! How many do you need for a team?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Shooting, archery, stuff like that :D

No way. I know a couple of people who shoot competitively. They are no where near being at Olympic standard, but it still took years for them to develop the hand eye coordination and mental discipline required for them to excel at their sport. It's not just about how fast/well you can run/swim/box/throw.

Barnes and Conlan are a great combo,two cheeky heads on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

what the **** is paddy barnes saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

el diablo wrote: »
    I wonder will the likes of Darren O'Neill, Adam Nolan and Ciaran Leonard get out the back door of the plane. I would if I was in their position.

What position would that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Marty Morrison. This chap get far too much airtime. :rolleyes::mad:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

el diablo wrote: »
    I wonder will the likes of Darren O'Neill, Adam Nolan and Ciaran Leonard get out the back door of the plane. I would if I was in their position.
    silly comment

• Advertisement

BMXing or the canoe slalom would be pretty cool

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement