Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Schwiiing wrote: »
    what the **** is paddy barnes saying?

Nobody knows unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

DB10 wrote: »
    silly comment

Ok, maybe I was slightly harsh. If I was in their position I would turn down the offer of appearing on the open-top bus parade though.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I already shoot rifle competitively so going to continue following and competing there. :) As to sports I didn't know enough about before this, sailing would be the main one. I was already au fait with the other sports I'm interested in following.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

el diablo wrote: »
    Ok, maybe I was slightly harsh. If I was in their position I would turn down the offer of appearing on the open-top bus parade though.

If you would, you'd be a disgrace for not facing and acknowledging the support you received for the Games, frankly. Nobody who qualified and went out there has anything to be ashamed of or to apologise for, and they should come home, smile, stand tall and get ready for Rio if that's their next goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Maybe they were a big help to the boxers behind the scenes in training sessions, sparring etc! They may even have helped to keep the others relaxed before fights. I'm not saying they were or they weren't but for all we know those guys could have played a part in the success of the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

If you would, you'd be a disgrace for not facing and acknowledging the support you received for the Games, frankly. Nobody who qualified and went out there has anything to be ashamed of or to apologise for, and they should come home, smile, stand tall and get ready for Rio if that's their next goal.

Ok true enough. I'll shut up now. :D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Look at the picture on the RTE website at 13:36. Is the stage in Mullingar seriously being made out of pallets?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Where's Enda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Where's Enda?

Prob over welcoming the German Olympic Team home :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Larianne wrote: »
    Olympic Handball. Played it once or twice in school and I quite liked it.

Whoo! How many do you need for a team?? :D

Is it a young person's sport? Like is it teenagers that play it? Or the, ahem, slightly older lady, say 25-30?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Is it a young person's sport? Like is it teenagers that play it? Or the, ahem, slightly older lady, say 25-30?

Yeah, when's the, ahem, geriatric olympics ???

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

sonia sounds like she's going to croke it..... again :D

Calm down man,your not Michael Collins :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Dead Man Walking

Incontinentia Buttocks

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Come on now minister and announce a doubling of the pitty full 11 million euro sport budget.

Is this fella off The Savage Eye :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Dunno. I'm 29. Wouldn't let that stop me.
    Yeah, when's the, ahem, geriatric olympics ???

Oi!

Did he just say "money spent on sport is better then money being spent on hospitals" :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

SnowY32 wrote: »
    Did he just say money spent on sport is better then being spent on hospitals :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:D I think he got a bit carried away...

I wonder will the likes of Darren O'Neill, Adam Nolan and Ciaran Leonard get out the back door of the plane. I would if I was in their position.

When Darren O'Neill and Adam Nolan were eliminated they supported their teammates every punch of the way. Both fantastic young men who have done us proud and together with o'Lionaird im confident they gave it everything over in London. Plenty in this country should hide but not those 3 fantastic athletes who are getting to these games against all the odds.

• Advertisement

I thought the special announcement at the end there was that they were going to get some kind of reward or honour for representing Ireland, or maybe Aer Lingus free flights. But it was only to tell them where to collect their luggage :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Did he just say "money spent on sport is better then money being spent on hospitals" :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I think he meant if more people played sport there'd be less people in hospitals which is a fair point.

Rugby 7s and Golf are in the next Olympics. Realistically we should be targeting medals in those and it isn't a case of the Olympic committee having to fund them. Both are profitable enough in this country.

I think Enda and Happy Gilmore will be on the phone to him."You fecking eejit thats the last time your left near a microphone"

Rugby 7s and Golf are in the next Olympics. Realistically we should be targeting medals in those and it isn't a case of the Olympic committee having to fund them. Both are profitable enough in this country.

McDowell and McIlroy will probably be playing for Team GB so I wouldn't fancy our chances with the golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

We dont have a good 7s team, the IRFU would have to stop funding Connacht to fund one properly.

I wonder what we will have to do to convince Rory Mcilroy that he is as Irish as Brown Bread?? :)

Whats that bit of music just played there now?

McDowell and McIlroy will probably be playing for Team GB so I wouldn't fancy our chances with the golf.

Its two golfers per nation, and with Poulter, Westwood and Donald around Gmac wouldn't get into the GB team. I reckon he'll represeent us with Harrington.

• Advertisement

Whats that bit of music just played there now?

Midnight City - M83 , great tune ;)

They are losses but we still have a few good golfers who are capable of putting in a few good rounds.

They are losses but we still have a few good golfers who are capable of putting in a few good rounds.

Shane Lowry's game might have improved by then. He's only 25 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

McIlroy might well be tempted to represent Ireland based on the fact that if he wins gold, he will become a national hero in Ireland, whereas it would barely register in Britain.

He might also be asked not to represent GB, as he could be taking up the space of Westwood/Donald/Rose etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Its two golfers per nation, and with Poulter, Westwood and Donald around Gmac wouldn't get into the GB team. I reckon he'll represeent us with Harrington.

Two? That's nuts. What about the likes of USA how the hell will they pick just two! How will it work do ya know?

And wrt sevens we wouldn't have a notion. The Pacific islanders and SH heavies would run riot in this

Didn't McIlroy represent Ireland at under-age level in any case? If so it would be a strange decision to change just for the Olympics.

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    McIlroy might well be tempted to represent Ireland based on the fact that if he wins gold, he will become a national hero in Ireland, whereas it would barely register in Britain.

He might also be asked not to represent GB, as he could be taking up the space of Westwood/Donald/Rose etc.

what if he won gold for Ireland what national anthem would be played i heard he prefers god save the queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cricketfan

Hasn't he already said he would want to represent GB.As for hardly registering in Britain, where have you been for the last 2 weeks? Watching RTE?

He was tweetin like a boss for GB in the olympics didn't say anything about any of the Irish. Mightn't mean much but just sayin...

Either way it's 4 years away. Zero guarantee he'd make GB. In fact if it was this year I'd have fancied Donald and Westwood to perhaps get the nod over him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I wonder if more Nothern Irish will choose to represent Ireland over Britain after the Northern Irish that chose to stay representing Ireland.

Wouldn't it be harder to represent Britain too as they have more people to choose from?

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Two? That's nuts. What about the likes of USA how the hell will they pick just two! How will it work do ya know?

And wrt sevens we wouldn't have a notion. The Pacific islanders and SH heavies would run riot in this

I could be wrong, but I seem to have that in my head. Thats how the world cup of golf works, might be a similar story for the Olympics. Apparently the top 15 in the world will qualify, followed by the next 45, as long as there country doesn't already have 2 representatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

p.oconnor wrote: »
    Didn't McIlroy represent Ireland at under-age level in any case? If so it would be a strange decision to change just for the Olympics.

yeah as padraig harrington said a few weeks ago, if graeme and rory were to represent gb it frees up spaces for say padraig , shane lowry etc. that said four years is a long time, we'll have to wait and see what rory decides to do

We dont have a good 7s team, the IRFU would have to stop funding Connacht to fund one properly.

Is money really that tight with the IRFU?

Pacific islanders as some one said look unreal at the 7s alright and it seems to suit their brand of rugby down to a tee. they love to make long runs with the ball at 15 a side let alone 7.

I could be wrong, but I seem to have that in my head. Thats how the world cup of golf works, might be a similar story for the Olympics. Apparently the top 15 in the world will qualify, followed by the next 45, as long as there country doesn't already have 2 representatives.

Ah alright that makes sense so. Maybe it should be more than top 15 but whatever! Doesn't make sense USA having 2 and someone like India having 2. Would have meant players like Stricker, Choi, Furyk, Bradley, Mickelson, the two Johnson's and Fowler most likely wouldn't have made it had it been this year!

I really don't see it being much of a success in its first year though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

cricketfan wrote: »
    Hasn't he already said he would want to represent GB.As for hardly registering in Britain, where have you been for the last 2 weeks? Watching RTE?

He said that a few years ago, but has since refused to take questions on it, and in the meantime has represented Ireland several times in the golf World Cup. I'm leaning towards him reprsenting GB at the moment, but there a lot of outside factors influencing his decision.

Maybe "hardly registering" is the wrong way to put it, but Katie Taylor recieved far more attentinon in Ireland than, for example, Alastair Brownlee did in Britain.

Golds are obviously far less common Ireland.

yeah as padraig harrington said a few weeks ago, if graeme and rory were to represent gb it frees up spaces for say padraig , shane lowry etc. that said four years is a long time, we'll have to wait and see what rory decides to do

But there's no certainty that Graeme and Rory would be picked for GB, in any case there will be big golf players left at home whatever happens.

Is money really that tight with the IRFU?

Pacific islanders as some one said look unreal at the 7s alright and it seems to suit their brand of rugby down to a tee. they love to make long runs with the ball at 15 a side let alone 7.

Yeahs sevens is all about the running rugby. The islanders are very poor up front and get dominated in scrums etc against the heavier hitters. But when it comes to playing exciting, expansive rugby there's no-one really like them!

In 4 years time McIlroy might have married that tennis one and got Danish citizenship so he could represent them

He said that a few years ago, but has since refused to take questions on it, and in the meantime has represented Ireland several times in the golf World Cup. I'm leaning towards him reprsenting GB at the moment, but there a lot of outside factors influencing his decision.

Maybe "hardly registering" is the wrong way to put it, but Katie Taylor recieved far more attentinon in Ireland than, for example, Alastair Brownlee did in Britain.

Being the first golf tournament in the olympics he'd get a good lot of accolades over there if he got gold. Golf is way too unpredictible though. Hard to have a favourite for gold, when at times anyone can come from nowhere and win a major

Id have thought Golf should be both a 4 player team event as well as an individual event.

Would not take his place for that decision anyway, whatever he does it will offend one side or the other.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement