Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Being the first golf tournament in the olympics he'd get a good lot of accolades over there if he got gold. Golf is way too unpredictible though. Hard to have a favourite for gold, when at times anyone can come from nowhere and win a major

Tom Watson in the 2009 British Open certainly proved anyone can come good in a tournament when he came within 1 shot of winning it. Tom has rich history in that competition but its fair to say he had falling off the golfing radar for a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

For golf would love just a tournament with however many players have the cut and all that craic over 4 days. Then also have a team event too as Tipp Gunner suggests. Include fourball like in the Ryder Cup. Only a certain number of countries qualify for this

Haven't really thought it all through though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Ah alright that makes sense so. Maybe it should be more than top 15 but whatever! Doesn't make sense USA having 2 and someone like India having 2. Would have meant players like Stricker, Choi, Furyk, Bradley, Mickelson, the two Johnson's and Fowler most likely wouldn't have made it had it been this year!

I really don't see it being much of a success in its first year though :(

Here is an interesting link, its the field had golf been in this Olympics.

http://golf.about.com/od/tourmajorevents/a/sampleolympicfields_2.htm

Tom Watson in the 2009 British Open certainly proved anyone can come good in a tournament when he came within 1 shot of winning it. Tom has rich history in that competition but its fair to say he had falling off the golfing radar for a good while.

Yeah definitely.

In golf the reality is majors can be incredibly unpredictible. Especially comparing to other sports. If you asked me who will win the Augusta Masters next year I'd say Woods, but he could just as easily not make the cut. Similarly a Webb Simpson or a Keegan Bradley could go out and win completely against the odds. There are many variables at play way more than other individual sports like tennis, snooker, darts the likes where predicting the winner (top 4) in majors is far easier

p.oconnor wrote: »
    Would not take his place for that decision anyway, whatever he does it will offend one side or the other.

I honestly don't think Britain would be upset. But Ireland would be offended indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Would not take his place for that decision anyway, whatever he does it will offend one side or the other.

I honestly don't think Britain would be upset. But Ireland would be offended indeed.

Yes, when it comes to things lik this , we are a very sensitive nation. Look at the furor over the Katie Taylor being British according to a newspaper over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

yeah as padraig harrington said a few weeks ago, if graeme and rory were to represent gb it frees up spaces for say padraig , shane lowry etc. that said four years is a long time, we'll have to wait and see what rory decides to do
    I get the feeling with Rory that depriving Lee Westwood of a place in the Olympics would mean more to him than actually representing GB.

Anyway I do think that golf is being introduced 4 years too late. i don't agree with its inclusion at all but it would have been a great occasion in England really with super support. Do Brazil even have a top golfer? None I can think of. Not that that should mean much but I'd just wonder about the popularity of golf there. Saying that there are a few handy players from south america like Cabrera, Romero and Villegas

It really will be interesting to see players attitudes towards it. In a Ryder cup year too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Tox56 wrote: »
    Maybe "hardly registering" is the wrong way to put it, but Katie Taylor recieved far more attentinon in Ireland than, for example, Alastair Brownlee did in Britain.

Golds are obviously far less common Ireland.

Would be a close call for if Katie Taylor received more attention in Britain than Brownlee did. She was certainly featured a lot more in segments chatting about the boxing than coverage Brownlee got either side of his event. His event did last for a couple of hours though.

The Brownlees are good medalists, but there is so much competition for column inches regarding medal winners that other than the fact there is two of them dominating their podium the coverage tends to go towards the cyclists and Ennis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

I'm sure people in England wouldn't be upset, but up the north would be different Im sure there would be upset on either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I'm sure people in England wouldn't be upset, but up the north would be different Im sure there would be upset on either side.

Britian is used to foreigners declaring for them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Britian is used to foreigners declaring for them. ;)
    So are we , our Olympic Team had people born in Latvia, Poland, and South Africa to name but some.
    Better still take a look at some of our soccer greats!

SocSocPol wrote: »
    So are we , our Olympic Team had people born in Latvia, Poland, and South Africa to name but some.
    Better still take a look at some of our soccer greats!

Correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Reading all the posts here, there’s a lot of enthusiasm among us about exploring new sports or taking up old ones.

I’ll be very annoyed if the Government or Sports Council don’t strike while the iron is hot here to try and encourage young people to take up sports, which might bring us rewards in the next few Olympics. Go out there and target talented youngsters or talk/send packs to schools and try to get them to expand their sports in PE classes or after-school clubs. We need to offer more than just football and basketball. Pay some of the current Olympians to go around the schools and talk/meet with the kids.

I remember the day Michael Carruth and Wayne McCullough won their medals in ’92, I went and tied a tyre around me and went running up and down the lawn :o I just wanted to play some kind of sport and was so inspired and so full of energy. But growing up in the country there was absolutely nothing for young girls. I was a potential medal winner (well not really!), but how many real potential winners have we missed out on over the years?

Look at Britain and how they've come on since Atlanta 1996, when they only won one 1 gold. Medals just don't happen by accident, you need to be pro-active. No point in Enda et al slapping the Olympians on the back and telling them they're great lads and waxing lyrical about how it's our best performance since 1956. Let's capitalise on this and make each Olympics more successful than the one before.

We want medals!!! Medals are good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Unstickied!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Thread no longer stickied. The Olympics is well and truly over now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

We still have the paralympics to go, ya know!

We'll just have to take turns 'bumping' this thread :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

I thought I was gone but however, I would prefer to have a full healthy population participating in a range of sport then a fat obese obnoxis nation waiting every 4 years for a set of medals from a few elite sports stars.

Reading all the posts here, there’s a lot of enthusiasm among us about exploring new sports or taking up old ones. [/FONT]

Speaking of enthusiasm, I have to say the Modern Pentathlon has really caught my fancy, a brilliant mix of running, shooting, swimming, fencing and horse riding.

A wonderful Olympic event in which I will keep an eye on in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Reading all the posts here, there’s a lot of enthusiasm among us about exploring new sports or taking up old ones.

I’ll be very annoyed if the Government or Sports Council don’t strike while the iron is hot here to try and encourage young people to take up sports, which might bring us rewards in the next few Olympics. Go out there and target talented youngsters or talk/send packs to schools and try to get them to expand their sports in PE classes or after-school clubs. We need to offer more than just football and basketball. Pay some of the current Olympians to go around the schools and talk/meet with the kids.

I remember the day Michael Carruth and Wayne McCullough won their medals in ’92, I went and tied a tyre around me and went running up and down the lawn :o I just wanted to play some kind of sport and was so inspired and so full of energy. But growing up in the country there was absolutely nothing for young girls. I was a potential medal winner (well not really!), but how many real potential winners have we missed out on over the years?

Look at Britain and how they've come on since Atlanta 1996, when they only won one 1 gold. Medals just don't happen by accident, you need to be pro-active. No point in Enda et al slapping the Olympians on the back and telling them they're great lads and waxing lyrical about how it's our best performance since 1956. Let's capitalise on this and make each Olympics more successful than the one before.

We want medals!!! Medals are good :)

What was the dream there? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Thought the Who were great last night, Daltry looked younger than he did at Live8 in 2005, the spice girls did OK, Take That went very well, and the Kaiser Chiefs played a blinder, but I also think its time that Brian May got hair cut, that grey perm makes him look older than he really is.

rgmmg wrote: »
    What was the dream there? :pac:

No idea. Must've watched Rocky the night before or something :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

LordSutch wrote: »
    Thought the Who were great last night, Daltry looked younger than he did at Live8 in 2005, the spice girls did OK, Take That went very well, and the Kaiser Chiefs played a blinder, but I also think its time that Brian May got hair cut, that grey perm makes him look older than he really is.

I thought Brian May was doing a pitch to be cast as the new Doctor Who. Very Jon Pertwee.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

My horoscope for today :(

http://i.imgur.com/WpfXZ.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anyway I do think that golf is being introduced 4 years too late. i don't agree with its inclusion at all but it would have been a great occasion in England really with super support. Do Brazil even have a top golfer? None I can think of. Not that that should mean much but I'd just wonder about the popularity of golf there. Saying that there are a few handy players from south america like Cabrera, Romero and Villegas

It really will be interesting to see players attitudes towards it. In a Ryder cup year too

I don't think golf should be in as it's not the ultimate for the sport, same as Tennis and football.

That said still think there will be good entusiastic crowds at it.

Britain is hardly a hotbed of Greco wrestling, fencing, Volleyball or Taekwondo but there were still great crowds there.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't think golf should be in as it's not the ultimate for the sport, same as Tennis and football.

Britain is hardly a hotbed of Greco wrestling, fencing, Volleyball or Taekwondo but there were still great crowds there.

That's Britain. People will be fascinated by stuff like that. Brazil has a completely different culture. May have no bearing but who knows

There would have been a brilliant atmosphere in England anyway, similar to ryder cups. Won't get any in Brazil unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

That's Britain. People will be fascinated by stuff like that. Brazil has a completely different culture. May have no bearing but who knows

There would have been a brilliant atmosphere in England anyway, similar to ryder cups. Won't get any in Brazil unfortunately
    Not into golfing but I'd imagine there are enough enthusiasts in Brazil that would flock to see the top 20 golfers in the world compete.

LordSutch wrote: »
    I also think its time that Brian May got hair cut, that grey perm makes him look older than he really is.

Those old rockers never know when to let go. Francis Rossi is probably still sorting that bloody ponytail.

Speaking of the Quo, they would've been great singing "Rocking All Over the Wold" last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

murpho999 wrote: »

I'm glad that I am not the only one who thinks this, but looking back at the history of the Olympics, they had football and rugby included way before most people were a twinkle in our grandparent's eye, but saying that, they should never have the professionals in the side, its just silly that the pros get all the attention whilst young and upcoming players don't get nowt

• Advertisement

At least golf is played at a competitive level in a lot of countries. For the Olympics, there are only 4 countries in Europe and maybe 5-6 in the Southern Hemisphere that play it at the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

The final result in the AH boards 2012 Olympics Medal table is as follows

In joint 3rd place, representing the software and web development forum forum, the bronze medal is awarded to - mynameisURL

In joint 3rd place, representing the mysteries of the unexplained forum, the bronze medal is awarded to - Jesus Shaves

In 2nd place, representing the sunshine and lollipops forum, the silver medal is awarded to - nice very

And the winner of the 2012 boards.ie Medals Table, representing the Atheism and Agnosticism forum, the gold medal is awarded to - GOD

Thank you to everyone that participated. You are all winners :) Yes, even you deftlefthand & kfallon :D

god 465
    nicevery 435
    jesus shaves 432
    mynameisurl 432
    diegomaradona 430
    tadghSk 420
    irish stew 375
    sparks 344
    pherekydes 335
    barney92 335
    samich 311
    mars bar 306
    westendgirlie 249
    deftlefthand 236
    kfallon 232

Only just seen the result now, I got silver yuhuuuuuuuuuuu :D Great idea and well done WEG!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Jesus thats one serious looking security man Katie has with her up on the bus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I can't believe Zor and Billy Walsh are so poorly paid. Surely they're in line for pay increase after this!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Nice touch to include the paralympics athlete in Katie's homecoming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Those old rockers never know when to let go. Francis Rossi is probably still sorting that bloody ponytail.

Speaking of the Quo, they would've been great singing "Rocking All Over the Wold" last night.

Nah he chopped it off.

Status Quo are great live. They should have been there alright!

Alessandra wrote: »
    I can't believe Zor and Billy Walsh are so poorly paid. Surely they're in line for pay increase after this!?

Apparently if the sports council don't cop themselves on, other countries are queuing up to take them away from Irish boxing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Big piss up in Bray tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Big piss up in Bray tonight.

no better way to celebrate with a teetotaller!

• Advertisement

No mention of a homecoming for poor Cian O'Connor :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Aye, where did he disappear ta ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Isit only the boxers who are getting homecomings?
    Even Annalise did well even though she didn't get a medal and Kian O'Connor getting the bronze.

statesaver wrote: »
    Aye, where did he disappear ta ?

He came home a few days back to get ready for the Dublin Horse Show.

Yeah was wondering about that but isn't the RDS Horseshow starting this week so maybe he doesn't want the distraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Elton John's voice is past it as is Paul McCartney I agree Coldplay were missed.

It's actually not.

Damn right - Elton still sounds good!

Guys I miss the Olympics :-(

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Damn right - Elton still sounds good!

Guys I miss the Olympics :-(

Do you need a hug? It's happy hour in the Fallon Olympic Hug Club....2 for the price of 1 :p

London talking about having a bid for 2024.......oh yes! :D

He came home a few days back to get ready for the Dublin Horse Show.

He was on the plane was he not?

Ah, John Joe really seems such a lovely fella :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

kfallon wrote: »

London talking about having a bid for 2024.......oh yes! :D

Has 2020 games been decided yet I wonder?

If not then 2024 for London would be great. Actually give London every games from now on.

Never going to happen of course.

What about..... Dublin 2024 :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement