Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

p.oconnor wrote: »
    What about..... Dublin 2024 :)

*sides split*

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Happyman42 wrote: »
    He was on the plane was he not?

He went out to the airport today and got on the plane alright but that was just for the photo. He was in the Indo yesterday saying that he had to get home to prepare for the RDS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Did you know Kenny Egan was at the Beijing games and won a silver medal??

You learn something new everyday :p

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

lol Ireland could never host something like the Olympics. We are probably the most inept nation in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

I think I read somewhere that there is a 7 year limit on bringing a doping action against an Olympic athlete. So any potential cheats from Beijing could still be revealed.

8 years, Tyler Hamilton was stripped of his gold from Athens last week

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/8254751/ioc-strips-cyclist-tyler-hamilton-gold-2004-athens-olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Higher wrote: »
    lol Ireland could never host something like the Olympics. We are probably the most inept nation in Europe.

Nothing is impossible :)..... sounds good though doesn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Athletics at Morton Stadium
    Beach volleyball at Dollymount

Any other places we could use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Has 2020 games been decided yet I wonder?

If not then 2024 for London would be great. Actually give London every games from now on.

Never going to happen of course.

2020 vote is next year, most likely Tokyo

Dublin Docklands for the Olympic village, Dublin Bay for the sailing ..... im telling you were onto a winner :)

Has 2020 games been decided yet I wonder?

If not then 2024 for London would be great. Actually give London every games from now on.

Never going to happen of course.

2020 is between Tokyo, Istanbul and Madrid with Tokyo the early favourites, will be decided next year.

Paris is likely to bid for 2024 and should be in with a great shout seeing as they just got pipped by London for 2012 and had a higher evaluation score.

Pity the next 2 are likely to be quite far away. London was fantastic, better than Beijing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Athletics at Morton Stadium
    Beach volleyball at Dollymount

Any other places we could use?

Boxing at the National Stadium
    Rowing on the Liffey at Island Bridge
    Basketball at the National Basketball Arena

It's already there folks!

Forbes estimate that the games will cost British taxpayers about 14 billion euro, can you imagine what kind of games we could afford if we didn't give it all to the Germans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Todd Gack wrote: »
    2020 is between Tokyo, Istanbul and Madrid with Tokyo the early favourites, will be decided next year.

Paris is likely to bid for 2024 and should be in with a great shout seeing as they just got pipped by London for 2012 and had a higher evaluation score.

Pity the next 2 are likely to be quite far away. London was fantastic, better than Beijing.
    I hope Tokyo gets 2020 but I reckon Istanbul might.

A lot has been made this year of efforts to include women from all participating countries, most notably Saudi Arabia. One sweetener for this might have been the promise of an Olympics to a predominately Muslim country. Turkey, whilst not the wealthiest would fit the bill as a relatively stable and liberal country (compared to some of the oil rich gulf states).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Higher wrote: »

Special Olympics 2003 went fairly well. No ?

Jimoslimos wrote: »

A lot has been made this year of efforts to include women from all participating countries, most notably Saudi Arabia. One sweetener for this might have been the promise of an Olympics to a predominately Muslim country. Turkey, whilst not the wealthiest would fit the bill as a relatively stable and liberal country (compared to some of the oil rich gulf states).

Turkey is also bidding for the European Championships in 2020 and neither the IOC or UEFA are happy about them going for both in the same year so that could hinder their chances.

Thinking about it now where the hell are we going to play the tennis??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Phoenix Park. Plenty of Grass there.

We'll get chalk and use the M50.....worked in my day ;)

kfallon wrote: »
    We'll get chalk and use the M50.....worked in my day ;)

Sorted so :)... Il get onto the IOC for the application form .... when you think about it there is actually no proper facilities in the country for hosting any international event.

• Advertisement

Guys, there were some London 2012 volunteers on The One Show there. One young fella said he was assigned to Bolt's starting block during one of his races and he was chatting to him while he was getting ready. The last bit of clothing he took of was his hat and the young fella told him he liked his hat and Bolt told him he could have it.

Another lady said she had to accompany him from the warm-up track to the holding area before one of his heats, and again they were chatting. When his semi final came around later, she wasn't assigned him. When he saw that he goes to her "what happened, have you abandoned me?!".

Love the guy :D

Guys, there were some London 2012 volunteers on The One Show there. One young fella said he was assigned to Bolt's starting block during one of his races and he was chatting to him while he was getting ready. The last bit of clothing he took of was his hat and the young fella told him he liked his hat and Bolt told him he could have it.

Another lady said she had to accompany him from the warm-up track to the holding area before one of his heats, and again they were chatting. When his semi final came around later, she wasn't assigned him. When he saw that he goes to her "what happened, have you abandoned me?!".

Love the guy :D

Did you post the gif of him fist-bumping the guy at the blocks? That made my day, was brilliant!

Bolt is the coolest person in the world......EVER! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Jimoslimos wrote: »

Has there ever been an African games? Thinking of 2024 really. Not sure how well equipped any city on the continent is/will be to host.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

No mention of a homecoming for poor Cian O'Connor :o
    statesaver wrote: »
    Aye, where did he disappear ta ?

Gone home to cry himself to sleep on a bed of money :P

Has there ever been an African games? Thinking of 2024 really. Not sure how well equipped any city on the continent is/will be to host.

No, Cape Town was 3rd in 2004. Nairobi is bidding in 2024 and possibly a South African bid with Durban or Cape Town again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No. South Africa is probably the only country there that would come close to the infrastructure/facilities required to host it.

• Advertisement

Did you post the gif of him fist-bumping the guy at the blocks? That made my day, was brilliant!

Yeah, that was me. It just makes me smile every time I look at it!

He oozes charisma, but doesn't seem cocky in interviews, unlike say, Muhammed Ali.

I just love seeing him interact with people and you just know they'll never forget that moment. Not like some footballers who barely look at the little mascots before they lead them on to the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Mosney lads, Mosney. It can host the whole lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Speaking of enthusiasm, I have to say the Modern Pentathlon has really caught my fancy, a brilliant mix of running, shooting, swimming, fencing and horse riding.

A wonderful Olympic event in which I will keep an eye on in future.

Its really a sport for a modern day Harry Flashman, I can only believe degree level public school cads can win at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

No reason Ireland couldnt hold an international event, unfortunately we just wont have the money for 20/30 years because of recent events. In some ways building most of the venues from scratch is good as irish ppl will have venues to use for 50/100 years afterwards! But nowadays we undersell ourselves.Also would need a leader with vision that would sell it to the people and get it done but we havn't had one of those for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No reason Ireland couldnt hold an international event, unfortunately we just wont have the money for 20/30 years because of recent events. In some ways building most of the venues from scratch is good as irish ppl will have venues to use for 50/100 years afterwards! But nowadays we undersell ourselves.Also would need a leader with vision that would sell it to the people and get it done but we havn't had one of those for a long time

Seanie Fitz's losses could have paid for the Olympics twice over....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

If Athens could hold an Olympics then Dublin can. :p Although Athens 2004 is one of the main reasons why Greece is in such a mess right now.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

el diablo wrote: »
    If Athens could hold an Olympics then Dublin can. :p Although Athens 2004 is one of the main reasons why Greece is in such a mess right now.

Dublin can hardly organise a homecoming for a handful of Olympic athletes without ****ing up never mind host an Olympics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Would dearly love to see Madrid get it in 2020, great city.

Would dearly love to see Madrid get it in 2020, great city.

Great city alright and would be a worthy host but surely Spain is in no fit state to afford the Olympics.

I dont think New York city has ever hosted an Olympics. That surprises me when you consider that much smaller, less well known North American cities have held it. 2020 Madrid would be good and easy enough to get to. Hope it wins out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

WumBuster wrote: »
    I dont think New York city has ever hosted an Olympics. That surprises me when you consider that much smaller, less well known North American cities have held it. 2020 Madrid would be good and easy enough to get to. Hope it wins out.

One of the main criteria is how can you organise it without delays? An awful lot of people had Olympic leave in London just so there was no rush hours/traffic jams/delays etc. In a city like London which is a sprawl that is achievable. In a city like New York that is impossible. They simply don't have the space anywhere near the city to build an Olympic Park. Saying that it is one of my favourite cities in the world.

Also NY is not a very Olympic city, the Big 4 sports dominate and only basketball is an Olympic event for the Summer Games.

WumBuster wrote: »

There'll almost certainly be a US bid as they didn't bid for 2020. New York bid against London for 2012 coming 4th and Chicago lost out to Rio for 2016. One of those 2 are likely bidders.

One of the main criteria is how can you organise it without delays? An awful lot of people had Olympic leave in London just so there was no rush hours/traffic jams/delays etc. In a city like London which is a sprawl that is achievable. In a city like New York that is impossible. They simply don't have the space anywhere near the city to build an Olympic Park. Saying that it is one of my favourite cities in the world.

Also NY is not a very Olympic city, the Big 4 sports dominate and only basketball is an Olympic event for the Summer Games.

This is their 2012 bid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_bid_for_the_2012_Summer_Olympics

Never been to New York so i dont know, but I actually thought the same about London. Anytime Ive been there it comes across as such a crazy metropolis with people everywhere(the tubes are like sardine cans) I was wondering how the heck they would cope with an extra few million people hanging around the city for a few weeks. But obviously they pulled it off quite well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Surely you're confusing New York with Manhattan? There must be room somewhere in the five boroughs for an Olympic Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

mike65 wrote: »
    Its really a sport for a modern day Harry Flashman, I can only believe degree level public school cads can win at that!

Someone on twitter referred to the Modern Pentatholon as a Stag do for posh people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

What cites are Olympic cites? People in London hardly cared more about olympic sports than people in NYC. They are all niche sports. Everybody in London will be back watching Soccer and Rugby in a couple of weeks, i dont think they'll care more about athletics now than they did before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The Giants and Jets built a new football stadium since then in the Meadowlands, so they would have no use for an olympic stadium now. Doesnt look like NYC will be bidding again for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Surely you're confusing New York with Manhattan? There must be room somewhere in the five boroughs for an Olympic Park.

Definitely. It really is amazing that it hasn't hosted the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I promised myself I wouldn't do it, clean break I said. After the Who finished that would be me, London 2012 but a great memory. Two weeks I'd never forget. But here I am watching those Eddie Bultler monatges again on BBC1 missing the games even more than last night.

Like a relationship you never really get over I can see myself out on a night out, locked, ringing Seb Coe saying just bring the games back to Stratford, we had it so good why not try it again. Please? :(

Hope this hasnt been posted already

http://www.joe.ie/london-2012/olympics-news/did-you-hear-usain-bolt-on-highland-radio-yesterday-0027573-1

Dublin Docklands Priory Hall for the Olympic village, Dublin Bay for the sailing ..... im telling you were onto a winner :)

FYP

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Was getting the withdrawl symptoms at work today. Thinking what the hell as I going to watch when I get home, what the hell am I going to do with my couple of mid week days off this week?

Even if its watching random sports you would never watch, following athlettes you have never heard of before or might never see again. Having those tingles down the spine seeing Mo Farah get his first and second gold, falling in love with Jessy and Viccy, feeling the pain of that Chinise fencer, finally seeing Murray winning a Mens Tennis Final at Wimbledon, and learning the finer points of Lazer Radial sailing. It was a magical two weeks, and I'm gonna bloody miss it.

Roll on the Paralympics in two weeks, and an Opening Ceremony full of Samba Girls in four years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

London 2024 all the way I say anyway

• Advertisement

cgpg5 wrote: »
    London 2024 all the way I say anyway

Ah sure we might get it in Two mile Borris on the site of the casino that never came to be ;) Lowry can be our Seb Coe :D

Larry Corbett can come up the suir in a speed boat with the olympic torch ala Beckham and he can pass it on to jimmy doyle :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement