Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

kfallon wrote: »
    This thread is not as much fun as it used to be :(

Roll on the paralympics!!!!!

racso1975 wrote: »

Lol
    Cometh the man, cometh the hour!!!!!

Just caught the second half of a movie called the best of men:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9461615/The-Best-of-Men-BBC-Two-Preview.html

Inspiring stuff. Gettin psyched for this now.
    Anyone have any profiles on the paralympic athletes or anything to get more into this ??

The only one I've even heard of is Oscar Pistorous. Oh and the BBC presenter guy - Ade or whatever his name is, but I think he is retired from competing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

http://www.paralympics.ie/ does profile of all irish athletes. The competitions on are ran dependent upon the category that the severity of disability is related too

http://www.london2012.com/paralympics/sports/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

oh i see they do basketball. Seding email to rte for downtown to be brought back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just seen that RTE2 are going to be covering the Paralympics as well. Wonder if it will just be an evening showing or all day coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

BBC1/ BBC1 HD showed the full opening ceremony again this afternoon, ah it was great to relive it all over again (and to record it) before the DVD box set goes on sale at €24.99 or something similar :)) It really was just as good the 2nd time around, maybe even better, and this time I could understand more of what was going on with Kenneth Branagh + the rest of the bearded gentry and the scenes of industrial revolution.

PS The soundtrack is awsome.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Just seen that RTE2 are going to be covering the Paralympics as well. Wonder if it will just be an evening showing or all day coverage.

I think it will probably just be Mick Dowling, Bernard Dunne, and Kenny Egan wearing zany jackets and talking shlte about boxing for 12 hours -in between reruns of yesterdays events....interrrupted of course for re-reruns of this mornings boxing ;)

Program on right now on channel 4 - Jon Snow's Paralympic Show profiling the upcoming games - I think I will be on everyday this week.

Irish paralympic presenter Daraine Mulvihill amongst the guests today
    http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/brave-amputee-daraine-is-going-for-gold-as-she-lands-tv-paralympics-job-3030815.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

150,000 condoms are going to be used in the Paralympic village during the games?! How will they have the time? :pac:

• Advertisement

150,000 condoms are going to be used in the Paralympic village during the games?! How will they have the time? :pac:

I think what Ade said was that was during the able bodied Olympics. He then added that was a number that dropped since he was competing :pac:

FYI if anyone else was wondering what the awesome tune in the awesome channel 4 paralympic trailer is it's Harder than you think by public enemy. Good article about the trailer here:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/scottharris/100065124/channel-4s-paralympics-trailer-is-a-superhuman-effort/

....and for good measure whilst I am at it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuAPPeRg3Nw&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

That's definitely one of the best ads I've seen in a long time.

Members of the Jordanian paralympic delegation arrested in Norn Iron:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19331779

:eek:
    :confused:

Ok here is one to watch:
    BBC wrote:
    South African swimmer Achmat Hassiem, who lost a leg in a shark attack, has told the BBC he hopes to win a medal at the Paralympic Games in London.

Full story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19336498

Apparently he saved his brother from a shark by attracting it's attention and lost his leg in the process :eek:

Hero

FYI if anyone else was wondering what the awesome tune in the awesome channel 4 paralympic trailer is it's Harder than you think by public enemy. Good article about the trailer here:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/scottharris/100065124/channel-4s-paralympics-trailer-is-a-superhuman-effort/

....and for good measure whilst I am at it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuAPPeRg3Nw&feature=player_embedded

Never knew that song before I seen the ad. Great track, it also looks like C4 are going all out with their coverage.

As for RTE2 coverage, wonder how many boxers we have, and how many times could they show them.

:D
    Ok here is one to watch:

Full story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19336498

Apparently he saved his brother from a shark by attracting it's attention and lost his leg in the process :eek:

Hero

Lets hope he can swim faster in london.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is there another version of the ad with a different song or am I imagining things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

i wonder will everyone be PC & pretend to be interested in this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

srm23 wrote: »

I'll have no huge interest in it myself, but won't feel the need to have a sly pop at those who do.

I'm actually quite looking forward to it.

Is there another version of the ad with a different song or am I imagining things?

There is a creepy 'Thanks for the warm' up version where it shosw the main olympics celebration and pans down to a bunch of sinister looking paralympians waiting in the basement for no apparent reason with no music. I haven't seen it in a while though - must be too creepy.

And the Para-trolympics are started with an early entry from srm23. Could be a medal contender. We will just have to wait and see....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

And the Para-trolympics are started with an early entry from srm23. Could be a medal contender. We will just have to wait and see....

Trolls need bites....I suggest we don't give it to him.

Disappointed to have not picked up any of the 100,000 tickets that were released in the last couple of days, but have tickets for the final of the wheelchair basketball.

Great that the thread is back by the way...I've missed it. Even watched a few minutes of the EB motage last night, just to get me back in the mood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Morning fellow boardlympians :)

5 days and counting till the opening ceremony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Oh we're back in business now? :)

Calling leahyl, come in leahyl, do you read me...... :p

• Advertisement

steve9859 wrote: »
    Trolls need bites....I suggest we don't give it to him.

Disappointed to have not picked up any of the 100,000 tickets that were released in the last couple of days, but have tickets for the final of the wheelchair basketball.

Great that the thread is back by the way...I've missed it. Even watched a few minutes of the EB motage last night, just to get me back in the mood!

Weren't you hear for the olympics ? I ran a Trollympics competition throughout that thread.....it ended up with me and a couple of others pawning of the prizes and going on the lock :pac:

Morning fellow boardlympians :)

5 days and counting till the opening ceremony

4 now.

Looks like fun.

Not that I'm suggesting people falling out of wheelchairs is funny.

This man does though, trying to find his advert for his Channel4 nightly paralympics show.

Did find this though....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Not that I'm suggesting people falling out of wheelchairs is funny.

They can be at times though.

I saw it happen to someone I know recently and PMSL :D.

No damage done. The only thing he wounded was his pride.

Again !

• Advertisement

This man does though, trying to find his advert for his Channel4 nightly paralympics show.

Saw it - funny alright.

Check this guy out:
    http://www.newarkadvocate.com/videonetwork8/1782455552001/Paralympic-archer-shoots-with-teeth

Man that looks like it would hurt

Just having a nosey on wiki.

Aside from Channel 4, Setanta will also be showing coverage. Wiki page states that RTE will only show highlights.

This is link to setanta wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setanta_Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Just having a nosey on wiki.

Aside from Channel 4, Setanta will also be showing coverage. Wiki page states that RTE will only show highlights.

This is link to setanta wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setanta_Ireland

cant wait to watch them run :D

Wiki page states that RTE will only show highlights.

....and boxers discussing Katie Taylor in the middle of events :pac:

....and boxers discussing Katie Taylor in the middle of events :pac:

...... right after this short break :D

saiint wrote: »
    cant wait to watch them run :D

I have no doubt that all of the athletes can run faster than me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Roll on Wednesday, can't wait

Anyone watching the Jon Snow Paralympic show ?

for some reaosn Katie Price is a guest. She's start going on about how great a paralympian looked on Katie's horse :rolleyes:

Then after a video - the paralympian gold medal winner says to her - so you've done alot of riding havne't you ???? Jordan says yeah.......cue laughter all around :pac:

Oh wow. They just ended the show instead of showing the Stoke Mandeville flame ceremony as it was running late.

Unimpressed channel 4, unimpressed.

Flippin heck RTE2. So much for for claims for your paralympic coverage, just looking at the online listing. Tonights coverage starts after 10pm, Ceremony actually starts at 8.30. No coverage tommorrow, half an hour on friday evening, gave up after that.

:mad:

Looks like I'll have to make the most of Channel4 this evening, and give my download limit a bit of a throttling after that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Anyone watching the Jon Snow Paralympic show ?

for some reaosn Katie Price is a guest. She's start going on about how great a paralympian looked on Katie's horse :rolleyes:

Then after a video - the paralympian gold medal winner says to her - so you've done alot of riding havne't you ???? Jordan says yeah.......cue laughter all around :pac:

She does have a blind(?) son so might have a bit of an interest in disability issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I'm a real lover of sport, but am I the only person who has zero interest in the Paralympics? It's really hard to avoid in London too, is it covered much in Ireland? Can't wait till all this is over.

robinph wrote: »
    She does have a blind(?) son so might have a bit of an interest in disability issues.

Oh I know that. But still why would you invite that muppet on ?:D

Well the Paralympic Flame is running 2 hours behind schulde, but they do have a spare/splinter one.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Lets get the beers in and get legless:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I actually think the paralympics will be incredible, really looking forward to it. inspirational in every way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ad breaks. :mad: I miss BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ad break on Channel 4 after 8 minutes. Bring back the BBC :mad:

• Advertisement

Are C4 launching their Red Button tonight?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement