Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Great support for the Irish

It never ceases to amuse me that Ireland are always in between Israel and Iran / Iraq... They should really have the use of some UN peacekeepers on the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Didnt realise Alex Zanardi was competing.:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Didnt realise Alex Zanardi was competing.:eek:

Me neither. Recognised the name but had forgotten what had happened to him. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

Is Jon Snow for real? Mali come out and he says "another country truly suffering with internal conflict". Has he no idea of the spirit of the games, where all these things become secondary to the celebration of these extraordonary athletes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

There are way too many countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

gwakamoley wrote: »
    Is Jon Snow for real? Mali come out and he says "another country truly suffering with internal conflict". Has he no idea of the spirit of the games, where all these things become secondary to the celebration of these extraordonary athletes?

Between that the the other fella banging on about the inferior equipment of other countries I'm tempted to switch to More4 for the audio description.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

irish-stew wrote: »
    gwakamoley wrote: »

Between that the the other fella banging on about the inferior equipment of other countries I'm tempted to switch to More4 for the audio description.

It seems much better for this part at least. They go a bit overboard describing the outfits and flags at times but at least they mention the actual athletes aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's fantastic. This is one of the good things about humanity.

Hitler would be horrified if he could see this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

phasers wrote: »
    There are way too many countries.

I think that was the John Lennon song they played in the closing ceremony for the Olympics.

• Advertisement

I saw boobs

The flame might actually make it if this runs over much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I don't remember seeing half of these countries in the other olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Scandal on the opening day of the Paralympics as some of the Team GB wheelchair basketball team test positive for WD40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Apologies for sounding a cynical note but does anyone else feel a lot of media commentators are hitching themselves to the paralympics bandwagon in order to feel better about themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Im gonna fix the special olympics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what's the point in having some wan sign what's being sand/said if they're only going to show bits of it?

That looks like a tough job, holding the flag and pushing your chair with one hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Shes hot

Not to lower the tone or anything. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Wee Man flying :eek:

Best Angry Birds character ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Were they actually shouting "baxtards" at the beginning of this song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

later12 wrote: »
    Were they actually shouting "baxtards" at the beginning of this song?

spasticus autisticus???

sounds strange anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

It looks like Stephen Hawking is playing synth in this bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

spasticus autisticus???

sounds strange anyway!

Ian Dury had polio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Well i missed the whole thing as someone called over.

Any good ?
    hod di it compare to the olympic opening ceremony ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Beverly Knight's I am what I am - Epic.

Macca- thats how its done!

I'll be honest, got a bit bored at about 11ish. Anything else really happen after that?

Watching abit of the morning show now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Has anyone got a livefeed link?

I tried the eurovisionsport site we used for the Olympics but they have no coverage of paralympics :mad:

Has anyone got a livefeed link?

I tried the eurovisionsport site we used for the Olympics but they have no coverage of paralympics :mad:

There are live streams on the RTE site courtesy of Channel 4

http://www.rte.ie/sport/paralympics/live/#

Perfect. Thanks.

Time to watch some basketball :)

• Advertisement

Watching basketball with no volume. Two players have fell out of their wheelchairs (at different times) and both have waited till a teammate has helped them back up.

Why can't the refs help them up?

Its not basketball if Timmy Mac is not commentating!!!

C4 are starting to irk me.

Just watching really good wheelchair table tennis match - they play loads of spin shots which is mad crack - anyhow 2 sets to 1 after guy made a comeback from match point and they cut to voice over saying 'and it didn't matter the other guy won'

ARGHGHGH - taking tips from rte channel 4 were you ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Enda Smyth is currently 3rd in the track time trial at the moment. Cant see him staying there though.

Wow. that blonde Turkish weightlifter chick just got her boobs felt up by both her coach and some lady official after!?!?!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Watching some of the cycling, Sarah Storey won a medal in a record breaking race. Then i learned she just missed out on qualifying for the Olympics themselves.

So I asked myself what is she doing there. She was born with a deformed hand, but that is hardly an impediment in cycling.

Paul Mc Carthy Mike Oldfield and all the other performers at the Olympics were paid 1£ a token payment for legal purposes to honour a contract. Fair play to them they did it to honour the spirit of volunteerism which was a theme of these games.

But the cynic in me is thinking they got the stage and probably sold more records because of it.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rollingstone.com%2Fmusic%2Fnews%2Fpaul-mccartney-earned-1-57-for-london-olympics-gig-20120730&ei=9rE_UMu_MYLRhAfdjYCIDg&usg=AFQjCNGqksJw9DhYUNdrL_9nIYk1-NR0zQ&sig2=9xjhYusBjP82-_UgJudvMA

Colmustard wrote: »
    Watching some of the cycling, Sarah Storey won a medal in a record breaking race. Then i learned she just missed out on qualifying for the Olympics themselves.

So I asked myself what is she doing there. She was born with a deformed hand, but that is hardly an impediment in cycling.

Yeah I was wondering that myself - the presenters were even talking about it.
    Paul Mc Carthy Mike Oldfield and all the other performers at the Olympics were paid 1£ a token payment for legal purposes to honour a contract. Fair play to them they did it to honour the spirit of volunteerism which was a theme of these games.

But the cynic in me is thinking they got the stage and probably sold more records because of it.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rollingstone.com%2Fmusic%2Fnews%2Fpaul-mccartney-earned-1-57-for-london-olympics-gig-20120730&ei=9rE_UMu_MYLRhAfdjYCIDg&usg=AFQjCNGqksJw9DhYUNdrL_9nIYk1-NR0zQ&sig2=9xjhYusBjP82-_UgJudvMA

Ah come on he's not liable for other people deciding to buy his music. Honestly I wouldn't be buying any of the music played at that thing....would you ? :pac:

There's nothing in the rules that states that Paralympians can't compete in the Olympics (look at Oscar Pistorius). If they're good enough athletes, they're good enough athletes. It doesn't make it any less fair on the other competitors that Storey almost qualified for the Olympics. She still has a disability which means she is entitled to compete in the Paralympics under her own classification.

There's nothing in the rules that states that Paralympians can't compete in the Olympics (look at Oscar Pistorius). If they're good enough athletes, they're good enough athletes. It doesn't make it any less fair on the other competitors that Storey almost qualified for the Olympics. She still has a disability which means she is entitled to compete in the Paralympics under her own classification.

Good point. They do bar people from competing for not being 'disabled enough', however.

One American swimmer was barred on this basis, before they let her back in:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/19425803

• Advertisement

Seen her on C4 this morning, aparently once shes up to full speed, she can compete against most abled bodied, however with her deformity she doesn't have the techic to reach that speed as quick.

Yeah I was wondering that myself - the presenters were even talking about it.

Ah come on he's not liable for other people deciding to buy his music. Honestly I wouldn't be buying any of the music played at that thing....would you ? :pac:

Ehh No, besides I doubt he cares anyway he has to be one of the most famous people in the world and a sqillionaire.

I thought the collage was good but I wouldn't buy it.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Seen her on C4 this morning, aparently once shes up to full speed, she can compete against most abled bodied, however with her deformity she doesn't have the techic to reach that speed as quick.

Yeah I would imagine 2 hands on the handle bars would be an advantage in acceleration, so I suppose she is entitled to be there.

I think weve found the athlete with the longest name

Ms Amara Indumathi Karunathi Lallwala Palliyagurunnans, of Sri Lanka :D

Colm Lynch 4th in the Individual pursuit. He had a bronze in the bag until the last lap :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I wonder would Steve Austin qualify for the Paralympics?

That's a question for posters of a certain age ;)

LordSutch wrote: »
    I wonder would Steve Austin qualify for the Paralympics?

That's a question for posters of a certain age ;)

I dont think wrestling is in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Woohoo... first Gold for Ireland!

Bethany Firth in swimming

Magnificent swim by Bethany. She was glorious

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement