Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Another gold for Michael McKillop in the 1500m. Took 14 seconds off the Paralympic Record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Another gold for Michael McKillop in the 1500m. Took 14 seconds off the Paralympic Record!

that was class. celebratory lap was almost as fast as the final lap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

the medal table says China has won 112 medals at the Paralympics. Is that true?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Pretty awesome alright.

To put this performance,there are probably 20 people in Ireland currently who can run faster than a guy with cerebral palsy.
    Amazing athlete,truly amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Was watching one of the cycling individual races yesterday I think. For blind athletes I assume because they had a pilot. I assumed at first the guy way just there to steer and as its individual he doesnt get a medal? But then he's pedalling too. Bit harsh that he's there and does half the work but gets nothing (I'm guessing he's able bodied though? )

Then I just thought that the British guy should have got Bradley Wiggins as his pilot :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Was watching one of the cycling individual races yesterday I think. For blind athletes I assume because they had a pilot. I assumed at first the guy way just there to steer and as its individual he doesnt get a medal? But then he's pedalling too. Bit harsh that he's there and does half the work but gets nothing (I'm guessing he's able bodied though? )

Then I just thought that the British guy should have got Bradley Wiggins as his pilot :)

The pilots of the cycling do get a medal, as do the guides for the blind runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Am really gutted not having any way of watching this. Would gladly take biased over analysed RTE coverage at this point.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Two pics with digital camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Jeeesh Oscar wasn't messing around today!!!!

• Advertisement

Anyone know what time the mens 100m t43/44 final is at ?

Blind soccer on right now - holy crap they are amazing. These guys are better blind than I am with vision!

Wheelchair rugby on Channel 4 atm.

It's like Robot Wars but with more violence..

Great win for Marlou van Rijn there - slowing down in the last 10metres and still broke the world record!!

Dave Weir for GB just won gold in the 800m (T54) in 1:37.63

That's faster than the 'able' bodied world record set by David Rudisha at the Olympics (1:40.91)..

A guy in a wheelchair is faster over that distance than the worlds fastest runner over the same distance.. unreal

A guy in a wheelchair is faster over that distance than the worlds fastest runner over the same distance.. unreal

Once your out of the sprints are the wheelchairs not much faster all round? The marathon in a wheelchair is around 1 hr 20 iirc.

Once your out of the sprints are the wheelchairs not much faster all round? The marathon in a wheelchair is around 1 hr 20 iirc.

It's still mad when you think about it. 800m isn't that great a distance to open up such a disparity in times, and it takes a lot more effort to get to full sprint in a chair. It was a great race in any case!

It's still mad when you think about it. 800m isn't that great a distance to open up such a disparity in times, and it takes a lot more effort to get to full sprint in a chair. It was a great race in any case!

It takes longer to build up (hence the sprints are slower) but I'd imagine its easier to maintain, just like a bike.

Hahah Richard Browne is the happiest guy there!

Ireland is currently 16th on the medal table with 7 golds, 3 silvers and 5 bronzes.

Fantastic achievement for a small country!!!

• Advertisement

Jason Smyth's 200m race coming up now. Another gold imminent

New world record too... just for good measure like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Have to say that I have no connection with Paralympians or the disabled generally but I am glued to these games.
    They show what Ireland is really capable of.
    When did you ever think that you would hear "that is Ireland's 8th gold medal"

I watched a girl the other night who ran the 100m in 12.01.
    Don't know how many Irish(or European,possibly) ablebodied athletes that could do this.
    BTW she was completely blind(i.e. total darkness stuff)

As to Jason Smyth,thats 4 world records in 4 Paralympic finals and he is 7th on the alltime Irish list of 200m times, and 5 of the 6 that ran faster went to the Olympics.
    Wonder will there be a homecoming for them next week ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Vizzy wrote: »
    Have to say that I have no connection with Paralympians or the disabled generally but I am glued to these games.
    They show what Ireland is really capable of.
    When did you ever think that you would hear "that is Ireland's 8th gold medal"

I watched a girl the other night who ran the 100m in 12.01.
    Don't know how many Irish(or European,possibly) ablebodied athletes that could do this.
    BTW she was completely blind(i.e. total darkness stuff)

As to Jason Smyth,thats 4 world records in 4 Paralympic finals and he is 7th on the alltime Irish list of 200m times, and 5 of the 6 that ran faster went to the Olympics.
    Wonder will there be a homecoming for them next week ?
    Would be a travesty if they didn't get one. Their achievements far outweigh the Olympic team.

New world record too... just for good measure like!

He didn't even look like he was that pushed. I reckon he needs closer competition to push him on

Also it must be said - the British have done a fantastic job putting on the paralympic games - its possibly better than the olympics was. Channel 4 have done a great job too

Edit: Also - second gold for Zanardi!!!!!Legend!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Fantastic performance by Smyth. Its between him and McKillop for sportsperson of the year for me. With Mark Rohan and Katie Taylor as worthy runners up.

By the way - anyone else think there is tension between Claire Balding and Ade ???? He seems stressed out by her at times

Holy Crap!!!!!!

Did anyone see the women's 34 point relay in the pool ???

Incredilbe finish!!!

• Advertisement

And with that London 2012 is completely done :(

Edit: apart from tomorrow of course. Jumped the gun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Went out to see the marathon this morning....great crowds, and the most Indian of Indian summers. Was absolutely fantastic.

But that's it. London 2012 competition finished :( What a great summer it's been

Looks like Mad Max!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Can't believe it's over. The past few weeks sporting events (Olympics and Paralympics) have just been the greatest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well done London. Great Olympic Games and Great Paralympic Games!!!

Closing ceremony on C4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i've really enjoyed both, watching the closing ceremony now,

have to say the Paralympics really opened up my eyes to how amazing those athletes are! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

Thanks fcuk thats over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian017

RayCon wrote: »
    Thanks fcuk thats over

Why? Did you lose your remote for the past 4 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Massive hangober plus coldplay plus a montage of athletes.....yep im in tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Yay for coldplay concert! Closing ceremony!

Wow. Some fireworks.....all the way across London! What a finish....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

some show! hats off to london!

And like the announcer just said....."goodnight and goodbye"!

See you all on the Rio thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Brilliant, Well Done London.

Forgot the weather for a few weeks, enjoyed an absolutely amazing Olympic and Paralympic games. Best ever imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Magnificent ending to London 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Thank Christ that's over. It's been excruciating having to avoid all the crap surrounding the whole Olympic experience. Let's face it, if we hadn't sent boxers. We'd have one medal. As for the Paralympics, it's hard to criticise the competitors but you have have to wonder at the overall standard of competitor when the Ireland is 19th in the medal table.

The British have being going on about how this will change the way Britain sees itself. Sadly it's just the euphoria of the moment. We've all being there. A holiday, an event. We all get carried away with good times. But it never lasts.

Back home it's business as usual.

bluecode wrote: »
    Thank Christ that's over. It's been excruciating having to avoid all the crap surrounding the whole Olympic experience. Let's face it, if we hadn't sent boxers. We'd have one medal. As for the Paralympics, it's hard to criticise the competitors but you have have to wonder at the overall standard of competitor when the Ireland is 19th in the medal table.

You state you didn't watch it - and then criticise the standard.

Boy did you miss out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bluecode wrote: »

So let me get this straight. If we don't get lots of medals we're shít and if we do get lots of medals we're still shít but everyone else was just shíter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/funclub/london2012/

For those that are having withdrawal symptoms - the official minigame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Just watched the closing ceremony of the paralympics and it was a great show, realy fitting end to the games.
    The games were a spectacular success and realy inspiring to see people overcome unbelievable obstacles to compete at the highest levels. It was realy refreshing to see when it is very easy to be cynical about sport with all the greed, corruption and cheating affecting other sporting events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Catching up now (recorded) the lighting still amazes me, Coldplay were excellent.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement