Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Daley having a mare! Just about in qualification places with one dive left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tom Daly 16th after his 5 dives. is that him out?

EDIT. he has one more dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

kfallon wrote: »
    The 3 boys did us proud today, all down to John Joe tomorrow night.

Yes they have. Could have easily had 2 fighters in the final.

Michael deserved his bronze medal. I think what he is most disappointed about is that he did not do himself justice tonight. Got caught for few silly points. The Cuban deserved to win and he looks the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Tom Daly 16th after his 5 dives. is that him out?

He has to be in the top 18 so as long as he doesn't drop another 2 places he's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

After all that kerfuffle with Aaron Cook not bing selected for the GB taekwando team Muhammed just won the bronze medal fight. That must have been some pressure!!

4-1 after the first.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Evans 4-1 up after the first round.

steve9859 wrote: »
    After all that kerfuffle with Aaron Cook not bing selected for the GB taekwando team Muhammed just won the bronze medal fight. That must have been some pressure!!

Someone on here earlier said he got knocked out. I never bothered checking. FFS.

Evans still looking good. He's got a long reach

• Advertisement

He has to be in the top 18 so as long as he doesn't drop another 2 places he's fine.

Ah, I thought I heard it was top 15 or 16. A solid last dive will do him so.

Someone on here earlier said he got knocked out. I never bothered checking. FFS.

I'm not sure it's a straight knockout system in the taekwando. There is some lucky loser or back door system

Evans holds on to his 3 point lead. Shelestyuk is going to have to go balls out in the final round.

Aidric wrote: »
    Evans holds on to his 3 point lead. Shelestyuk is going to have to go balls out in the final round.

Ugh....can't watch. The other guys getting stronger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm not sure it's a straight knockout system in the taekwando. There is some lucky loser or back door system

Aye,if you get knocked out by a guy who goes to the final, you're allowed back in for bronze through a repechage system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

i think I'm actually gonna miss Gerry Kiernan next week, love the way he always mentions the betting and that he's had a little flutter :D

• Advertisement

Think he's done it

Great performance by Evans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

"I'll get into trouble for saying this but I don't believe I'm competing on level playing field' Lisa Dobriskey

Say she get into trouble for that. Her best time is 11 seconds better then winner.

I mean does she think she the other 10 are all doping or what!

Gerry telling us about his betting portfolio again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

That was me. Didn't realise that the qtr final and semi final losers played off for 2 bronze medals. Seems a bit daft to me.

Also doesn't change the fact that Cook should've been selected.

• Advertisement

i think I'm actually gonna miss Gerry Kiernan next week, love the way he always mentions the betting and that he's had a little flutter :D

He should use the money to get a decent haircut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Watching the olympic handball here - I could be a goalie for either team, I don't think either goalie has made a save yet from what I've seen, they may as well not have goalies tbh - fun sport to watch though, used to be grast craic back in school too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Always after timing from what I've seen - I want to get some tips before events so I can make some money :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Rascasse wrote: »
    That was me. Didn't realise that the qtr final and semi final losers played off for 2 bronze medals. Seems a bit daft to me.

The two losing quarter finalists in the top half of the draw fight off with the winner contesting a bronze medal match with the beaten semi finalist from the bottom half. And vica versa.

Its a neat system which means if you are second best in the competition but unlucky enough to come up against the best contestant in the quarter finals then you still have a shot at a medal.

Rascasse wrote: »

Also doesn't change the fact that Cook should've been selected.

I half agree. But if you thumb your nose at the selectors and train outside the system I'm not sure you can complain too much. You take your chance. If they agree to pick him they are effectively giving carte blanche for everyone to do whatever they like and do their own training

Not saying they shouldn't have, just that it isnt so black and white as people make out. I've been a club coach myself, and it damages your credibility a bit each time you pick someone who trains a lot on their own, even if they're the best

Does anyone else think that Sebastian Villa diver guy looks a bit like Tom Daley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Fizman wrote: »
    Anyone else think O'Herlihy was bang out of order there??

He's after rightly pissing me off, the ignorant old boll0x. Saying how 'disappointing' it was etc etc. The lad did the country proud, fought his heart out, but just came up against a world-class young lad who was stronger than him.

Bill is too think and ignorant to acknowledge that though.
    Never rated O'Herlihy. Most of the time he knows sweet fcuk all about the sports he's commenting on. Witness any international football match. Brady, Dunphy and Giles must think '' what the **** is this bloke doing, presenting a football programme?''. Embarrassing watching him really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

O'Herlihy isnt suppose to know much about the sport he's presenting, he's stirring the debate between the analysts and he is very good at that

Daley qualifies. Needs to put tonight behind him

blueser wrote: »
    Never rated O'Herlihy. Most of the time he knows sweet fcuk all about the sports he's commenting on. Witness any international football match. Brady, Dunphy and Giles must think '' what the **** is this bloke doing, presenting a football programme?''. Embarrassing watching him really.

Bill knows a damn lot more than he lets on.

• Advertisement

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Always after timing from what I've seen - I want to get some tips before events so I can make some money :pac:

Well he said he's waiting on USA in 4 x 100m final tomorrow night for a double

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I am not ashamed to admit that I have a man-crush on Andy Lee. Imagine being wrapped up in his arms....it must be the safest place of the face of this earth.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

just watching the analysis of Nevins fight (with the bearded guy with the funny accent) and they showed a slow-mo clip where Nevin beckoned the guy as if to say "come on then"

once again I am reminded of a Rocky moment: Rocky vs Mr T - "hit me, come on hit me, you aint so bad"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

keith16 wrote: »
    I am not ashamed to admit that I have a man-crush on Andy Lee. Imagine being wrapped up in his arms....it must be the safest place of the face of this earth.............

Andy lee is the coolest man in Ireland. Respect :cool:

nice_very wrote: »
    just watching the analysis of Nevins fight (with the bearded guy with the funny accent) and they showed a slow-mo clip where Nevin beckoned the guy as if to say "come on then"

once again I am reminded of a Rocky moment: Rocky vs Mr T - "hit me, come on hit me, you aint so bad"

Get. The. Fcuk. Out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I just realised Andy Lee talks like Christopher Walken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

keith16 wrote: »
    Get. The. Fcuk. Out.

I.Am. Hopeless. With. Names. :D

nice_very wrote: »
    I.Am. Hopeless. With. Names. :D

Me too. Within seconds of being introduced to new people I have forgotten their names. I really don't care. Unless they are Andy Lee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So RTE advertised they were showing the basketball at 10.

No sign of it yet at the start of the 4th Q.

Well done again lads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

pithater1 wrote: »
    So RTE advertised they were showing the basketball at 10.

No sign of it yet at the start of the 4th Q.

Well done again lads...

It's on BBC3 right now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Dempsey wrote: »
    O'Herlihy isnt suppose to know much about the sport he's presenting, he's stirring the debate between the analysts and he is very good at that

He's far better at his job than Michael Leicester. I was cringing watching him earlier after JJ Nevin won the silver medal. Think he needs to stick to the GAA.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Carmelo Anthony is taking the p1ss with these 3 pointers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

The two losing quarter finalists in the top half of the draw fight off with the winner contesting a bronze medal match with the beaten semi finalist from the bottom half. And vica versa.

Its a neat system which means if you are seond best in the competition but unlucky enough to come up against the best contestant in the quarter finals then you still have a shot at a medal.

But why are there seedings then? Seems to be unnecessary complication.
    I half agree. But if you thumb your nose at the selectors and train outside the system I'm not sure you can complain too much. You take your chance. If they agree to pick him they are effectively giving carte blanche for everyone to do whatever they like and do their own training

Not saying they shouldn't have, just that it isnt so black and white as people make out. I've been a club coach myself, and it damages your credibility a bit each time you pick someone who trains a lot on their own, even if they're the best

The thing with Cook is he is by far and away the best in his weight. If he finds he trains better at home with his own coach, so be it. I watched a thing about him a few months ago and its not like he turned his back on a set up like GB cycling or athletics have. Its very much an amateur system.

The reason they say they didn't select him was due to a change in scoring methods, then held a load of secret meetings to rubber stamp the decision and select a guy 50+ places lower in the rankings. Spiteful behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Carmelo Anthony is taking the p1ss with these 3 pointers!!!

It beautiful to watch though :D

• Advertisement

Watching those closing credits on BBC1 reminded me of the end of Beijing. IMO there is no-one better at putting sport (or anything) to music. So if you haven't seen it you must check this out. It was only shown once....at the end of the last BBC broadcast in Beijing. It is fantastic (warning: at the end there are a lot of pictures of happy Brits)

I can't wait for the 2012 version on Sunday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

el diablo wrote: »
    He's far better at his job than Michael Leicester. I was cringing watching him earlier after JJ Nevin won the silver medal. Think he needs to stick to the GAA.

Is that Michael of the English Lysters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Is that Michael of the English Lysters?

No.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Holy shit, is that Dutch hockey team a wet dream or what?

Oh dear, a shocking decision by the judges to screw the Ukranian boxer in that one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement