Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 MegaThread [Part 2]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

"I'll get into trouble for saying this but I don't believe I'm competing on level playing field' Lisa Dobriskey

Say she get into trouble for that. Her best time is 11 seconds better then winner.

I mean does she think she the other 10 are all doping or what!

Her best time is 3:59.50, the winner's is 3:56.62.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Aidric wrote: »
    Oh dear, a shocking decision by the judges to screw the Ukranian boxer in that one.

?

Was it the Evans fight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

cgpg5 wrote: »
    ?

Was it the Evans fight?

No. Ukranian boxer lost it on countback against his Khazak opponent. The commentators and Ukranian corner couldn't believe it. Even the Khazak looked embarrassed.

No. Ukranian boxer lost it on countback against his Khazak opponent. The commentators and Ukranian corner couldn't believe it. Even the Khazak looked embarrassed.

Oh alright sorry didn't see that! Shame seeing things like that happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

steve9859 wrote: »
    Watching those closing credits on BBC1 reminded me of the end of Beijing. IMO there is no-one better at putting sport (or anything) to music. So if you haven't seen it you must check this out. It was only shown once....at the end of the last BBC broadcast in Beijing. It is fantastic (warning: at the end there are a lot of pictures of happy Brits)

I can't wait for the 2012 version on Sunday night

I was thinking the exact same about tonight. Not gonna lie, i welled up a little for the Beijing video even thought it was so long ago. This one will be exceptional. Nobody does a montage like the BBC. The end of season F1 montage is one of my highlights of the year. Sky F1 even went for the song as their theme music.

Whoevers music they choose will be fairly original and unknown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Timmy on RTE 2 now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did Tessa Sanderson get her gold for talking non-stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

whos the commentator on basketball final on RTE? bit enthusiastic anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

What is up with Tessa Sanderson's accent? Is she pissed? Gone suddenly posh? Bizarre.

"Out to Melo in down town, Melo, MELOOOO!!! YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!"

"He was so far out he could've been having coffee" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

robinph wrote: »
    Did Tessa Sanderson get her gold for talking non-stop?
    Still, as long as it stops Amir Khan from waffling and spouting tired cliches.

Your man is so calm in the commentary beside him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Im starting to worry that i understand everything Timmy Mac says :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

blackwave wrote: »
    whos the commentator on basketball final on RTE? bit enthusiastic anyway

Nobody really knows. I think it's his first night on the job and he is trying to make an impression. Must have got the gig on job-bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

"Chicago is my town. London is now your new town. BOOM SHAKA LAKA!"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Your man is so calm in the commentary beside him!

reminds me of the Tango ads.

Hahah..Go on Timmy, nice call on that dunk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The final better be live on RTE sunday!

• Advertisement

He's in his element when calling the USA games. His enthusiasm is infectious.

Lads and Ladies this video is bloody hilarious. The man is a hero! Listen to the co-commentator rinsing himself throughout!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsk4yf_output-merge_animals?start=183

Great entertainment. SO much crackers from Timmy in this

Edit- ABove link may be messed up. Use this ;)http://www.balls.ie/2012/08/01/timmy-mccarthys-amazing-basketball-commentary-for-usa-vs-tunisia/

Gas gas stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Great fight from Joshua. That guy was a monster....looked like a klitschko!

Joshua through to the gold medal bout. A few medals for gb in the boxing this year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The final better be live on RTE sunday!

They'll probably show it on Monday evening.

I conpletely forgot baseball was in Beijing till I saw the BBC montage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Shame Joshua got through. He got a robbery of a decision against Savon in the first fight

• Advertisement

The finals of the BMX should be done over 3 races imo. 1 race is too quick and with the amount of crashes it can be completely taken out of your hands through no fault of your own.

titan18 wrote: »
    Shame Joshua got through. He got a robbery of a decision against Savon in the first fight

If he cheated somehow then you might have a point, but he didnt.

If he cheated somehow then you might have a point, but he didnt.

Well,he should have lost if it wasn't for the judging being crap, like a bunch of other fights.

The finals of the BMX should be done over 3 races imo. 1 race is too quick and with the amount of crashes it can be completely taken out of your hands through no fault of your own.

I thought the exact same thing. It is so much of a lottery. You're less likely to be lucky or unlucky 3 times in a row. It must be the sport at the Olympics with the highest element of chance in the win.

Gabby Logan is too much of an airhead for BBC.

• Advertisement

Well,he should have lost if it wasn't for the judging being crap, like a bunch of other fights.

Its not his fault though. He faught a good fight tonight and deservedly won.

I don't think they can in case someone (or their countryman/team mate) trys to sabotage a race and throw the overall result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I thought the exact same thing. It is so much of a lottery. You're less likely to be lucky or unlucky 3 times in a row. It must be the sport at the Olympics with the highest element of chance in the win.
    Yeah, reminds me of that time in the winter Olympics where the Australian speed skater coasted to gold after the other three competitors (way out ahead) crashed on the final lap

Its not his fault though. He faught a good fight tonight and deservedly won.

Never said it was his fault, he lost his first fight, well should have lost it, the fight wasn't even that close tbh, Savon should have won, and Joshua should not even be at this stage

You can't blame him for that. Nor a home country bias (cause there have been other brits on the wrong side of dodgy decisions). And he deserved to win tonight

Edit. Just saw your post from a minute ago

The other guy in the final is # 1 and the olympic champion, but apparently Joshua has a winning record against him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Gabby Logan is too much of an airhead for BBC.
    Yeah, but she has other merits!

:rolleyes:

You can't blame him for that. Nor a home country bias (cause there have been other brits on the wrong side of dodgy decisions). And he deserved to win tonight

Outside of Savannah Marshall, I dont think any Brits were robbed. Stalker lost fair, Campbell almost was but got through, and the others all lost fairly.

Also,posted about same time in that I dont blame him, I'd just like the best fighter to win, Joshua is not the best fighter as Savon beat him in nearly everyone's opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Another great day of sport. The last 10 days just flew in. as the saying goes time flies when you are having fun,

Only 2 days left:(:(

Colmustard wrote: »
    Another great day of sport. The last 10 days just flew in. as the saying goes time flies when you are having fun,

Only 2 days left:(:(

Then the worst Monday morning blues in history. The empty tubes will fill up, and the free flowing traffic will grind to a halt again!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

There has been some bizzare judging and scoring, but no hometown bias

Sometimes certain decisions do make you wonder

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    There has been some bizzare judging and scoring, but no hometown bias

Sometimes certain decisions do make you wonder

But that is sport, they will never get that perfect. How many times in any sport have we seen poor judgement or refereeing. Taekwando seem to have gotten it right. A weird ritual followed by a tele replay.

I have become a fan of the Judo and Taekwando they are great to watch. A mate of mine who does Karate for years told me it will be an Olympic sport from Rio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I didn't know John Joe will be fighting the GB boxer tomorrow. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing I hope it won't get to a countback . John Joe has to win the gold :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A mate of mine who does Karate for years told me it will be an Olympic sport from Rio.

Fairly sure it got rejected for 2016, its not on the Rio websites list of sports anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Fairly sure it got rejected for 2016, its not on the Rio websites list of sports anyway.

There was room for 2 sports and rugby got one of the places. Golf, karate and softball were the 3 the last was to be chosen from. I think they ruled out softball and then choose golf. I'm expecting it to be added next time they are bringing in a sport

I think he may have said the one after Rio, sorry, he also said it has 100 million practitioners worldwide, so maybe he is bullsh1tting, 100 million is to many. But it is huge and does belong in the Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I think he may have said the one after Rio, sorry, he also said it has 100 million practitioners worldwide, so maybe he is bullsh1tting, 100 million is to many. But it is huge and does belong in the Olympics.

Baseball must have over 100 million but got dropped. IOC must see more sponsorship and TV money in golf and sevens rugby. Interesting to see Kite Surfing will replace wind surfing, much better sport for TV viewing. That 10km swim needs to be got rid of, even the TV commentators can't work out who is who half the time.

What way is golf set up? Will McIlroy and McDowell be playing for Ireland or GB &NI?

Baseball must have over 100 million but got dropped. IOC must see more sponsorship and TV money in golf and sevens rugby. Interesting to see Kite Surfing will replace wind surfing, much better sport for TV viewing. That 10km swim needs to be got rid of, even the TV commentators can't work out who is who half the time.

What way is golf set up? Will McIlroy and McDowell be playing for Ireland or GB &NI?

Would it be Baseball has less international appeal, I mean Cricket would be played in more nations and with its popularity in India probably has more members

ehhh Cricket no thanks.

I would not be for introducing Golf as an Olympic sport unless it was strictly amateur. Karate has an international appeal.

I wonder could they add a week to the games. But you do have to draw the line somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Would it be Baseball has less international appeal, I mean Cricket would be played in more nations and with its popularity in India probably has more members

ehhh Cricket no thanks.

Baseball might have a broader base, its cause isn't helped by Cuba dominating it in the Olympics.

I would not be for introducing Golf as an Olympic sport unless it was strictly amateur. Karate has an international appeal.

Very few of the Olympic sports can be classed now as amateur, most if not all medal winners are fully paid professional sportsmen and women. Basketball, Tennis, cycling are all open to the pro's. The problem with Karate is that its a martial art like Judo and Taekwando, too many similar sports just don't grab the audience attention. If it does get in one of the other too might have to get dropped.
    I wonder could they add a week to the games. But you do have to draw the line somewhere.

The two week window suits, too long and even the most dedicated sports fan gets bored.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Id love to see John Joe Nevin get gold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Thomas Chamney spoke very well on Radio 1 this evening, big props to the man, finally somebody in a credible position said what needed to be said. After the investment made in those relay girls the mind boggles at their silly elation at finishing 6th in a heat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement