Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter 25 Tournament Series Paris - Irish Qualifier- 6th Oct- The Exchange

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Wha he said ^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I have to agree with futureguy, having the event in NUI Maynooth is all well and good but it will make it a nightmare for people outside of Dublin to get to unless you could try and possibly get a deal with a nearby hotel or something to make it easier on such people.

As for me, I'm interested in coming up regardless, I can probably work something out. Worth noting if I do go, this will be my last Dublin event I go to before I go to Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

For all you guys from outside Dublin who may or may not be familiar with Dublin Public Transport, one thing to make sure is clear is just because maynooth is in kildare it is by no means a huge extension of your journey to get there. Anyone arriving into Dublin from outside the city will be doing so either into Busaras, Connolly or Heuston Station. For heuston i accept you have an irritating 15/20 min ride on the luas extra, but once you're at Connolly (or Busaras which is literally 100m away) you spend €3.50 and either spend 30min on the commuter or less than 15 min on the sligo express getting out to Maynooth. The latter is particularly convenient. It may as well be noted it takes a good 20 min to walk from any of those three hubs to the exchange anyway. A little care and planning in your travel schedule will reduce or eliminate a lot of the 'hassle' you think you will have. Anyone more in the know on this feel free to correct me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

It takes another ten minutes walking from the train station in Maynooth to the north campus as well. It'd add at least half an hour travel each way, maybe up to around 50 minutes if you end up having to wait for a train at Connolly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

For all you guys from outside Dublin who may or may not be familiar with Dublin Public Transport, one thing to make sure is clear is just because maynooth is in kildare it is by no means a huge extension of your journey to get there. Anyone arriving into Dublin from outside the city will be doing so either into Busaras, Connolly or Heuston Station. For heuston i accept you have an irritating 15/20 min ride on the luas extra, but once you're at Connolly (or Busaras which is literally 100m away) you spend €3.50 and either spend 30min on the commuter or less than 15 min on the sligo express getting out to Maynooth. The latter is particularly convenient. It may as well be noted it takes a good 20 min to walk from any of those three hubs to the exchange anyway. A little care and planning in your travel schedule will reduce or eliminate a lot of the 'hassle' you think you will have. Anyone more in the know on this feel free to correct me!

I've been taking the Sligo train regularly for years now and unfortunately it ain't less than 15min to Maynooth :/ It's a 25-30min journey depending on which train you're on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

Regarding travel to and from maynooth, it takes 35-40 minutes form the center of town to get to maynooth, its essentially in Dublin, i don't know anything about the venue or the logistics there in but if you can get to a train station Maynooth is extremely handy.

It's also 17 minutes away from my house so i'm all in favour, great idea AJ.

Hi everyone.

Wanted to start a separate thread to get things rolling for the Irish Qualifier. We have been given 4 seeded spots from this tourney for the event. How it will work is like an SBO type scenario where we host the event to fund sending the guys over. The rules for the actual event are available here - http://elyum-studio.com/wgcfr/?page_id=2075 . We can pretty much run it how we like as we are sending the people over.

First and foremost - is there anything on the 6th of October that might clash with this? I am useless for knowing so if someone knows of something, please speak up early whilst we can still move the event.

There has been some resistance to hosting it in Maynooth. This I can understand (sort of - but not really) but I am not getting into the in's and out's of it cause we literally don't have the time. We need to do this quickly, better than before and look like we know what we are doing. I am trying to get a venue in Dublin that won't cost an arm a and a leg and where we can stream the event from. Failing this, the exchange will be there as a fall back.

I'll be starting an equipment thread in a short while to make arrangements for that part of it and also fo help on the day etc but what I would really ask is that we all make an effort and show up to it. We have been asked to do this for an official Capcom event and I think we have a good opportunity here to put some of our players on the international scene a bit more. We definitely have 4 seeded places. 2 for SF and 2 for SFxT. I spoke with them today and there is a possibility for a seeded 3s place as well. When I know more I will update y'all.

This event is a fundraiser to send people for the above games. That being said, we will be running other tournaments as well. I am working on the details of cost etc but any tournament that isn't sf/sfxt/3s will have a certain % going to costs and fundraising efforts and the rest given back as prizes. We are also looking for sponsorships where we can get them (all ideas welcome). Looking to run Marvel, MK9, Tekken 6, HDR, Skullgirlls (just cause), and other side tournies depending on setups etc. Lets make it a big one!

That's it for now. I'll update more when I have it
    Aj

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Nice AJ, good on you.

Gutted but I can't attend this weekend, I hope it's a blast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Run MK.

Those lads always turn up for tournaments and the footage always gets a big audience as it goes on the front page of testyourmight.com

I'll be there and I'll provide as much equipment as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Why T6? TTT2 will be out by then.

Anyway, I'll head down for some 3S, HDR and Skullgirls (and TTT2). Might be up for some AE pot monstering as well, we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

FYI, if you're trying to get a 3S spot make to sure to mention Hypespotting and the lads winning it there. I'm sure there's a video of Ramza and Ryan Hart knocking around that could be used to help show that we have the talent for it.

Yreval wrote: »
    Why T6? TTT2 will be out by then.

Anyway, I'll head down for some 3S, HDR and Skullgirls (and TTT2). Might be up for some AE pot monstering as well, we'll see.

latest iteration is probably what it will be. I am up to speed with releases of all games. I would be looking for someone from that scene to contribute their expertise and probably run that tournament on the day.
    Orim wrote: »
    FYI, if you're trying to get a 3S spot make to sure to mention Hypespotting and the lads winning it there. I'm sure there's a video of Ramza and Ryan Hart knocking around that could be used to help show that we have the talent for it.

already done :). He said he'd get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

update in other thread. Sorry, posted it here by mistake and can only edit, not delete.

Dumbass!

update:

Ok, I have sent a few emails to possible sponsors to see if we can get any help from them for prizes or otherwise. We'll see how we get on with that one.

Prizes Structure:
    The top two for AE and SFxT will get flights & accommodation to Paris for the tournament - AND a seeded place in the draw for each (forgot about that bit). The way I want to work it for the rest of the tournies is that we have a sliding scale, based on number of entrants, of the money collected from entry into that game going to the fundraising part and the rest going to the prize fund for that tournament. Lets take Marvel as an example. If we get under 25 people (for example), then 50% of the pot is taken for the fundraiser & costs and 50% goes to the prize pot. If 30 people enter, then 40%. 40 people then 30%.... These are just example numbers, I'll have to work out the exact percentages but in essence it means the more people in that tournament, the more the prize pot - it doesn't all go to the fundraising. This is a bit of an experiment but it is designed (loosely) to ensure we get enough to send the 4 people (possibly 5 if I can get a 3S seeded place) to paris and also give tournament winners a prize for their honourable combat. If we get help from sponsors - this will make it easier but I am not repeating what happened last time by pre-spending money on prizes for tournies. We all like cash. I can really only know when I get an idea of numbers - how many we think we can get to come to this?

Website
    Anyone handy with doing the UI for the website? I just want to take registrations and get an idea of numbers. The usual but Farz is away and can't AFAIK. We have the db and backend sorted (thanks PPC). I also have a load of high quality images from Kurama Tengu & Capcom so PM me if you can.

Tournaments - as it stands
    AE & SFxT - double elim
    Marvel - double elim
    3S - double elim
    Latest Iteration of Tekken - double elim
    KOFXIII -double elim
    MK9 - double elim
    Skullgirls - single elim
    Other side tournies - single elim but welcome if setups available.

As you can see, I want to try an give everyone their monies worth and have most tournaments double elimination. This is all really dependant on setups so post up in that thread to bring some and it will increase the likelihood of everything happening. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056733697

I'll also try to have a casuals setup.

Staff
    Ok, 7 tournaments, plus possible other side tournaments, we are gonna need volunteers to run brackets, help on the day etc. I will not be getting T-shirts this time I'm afraid . There will also be a requirement for all those gifted with the Gab to be on commentary for the stream. Doom will make these arrangements but let him know if you are available. With any luck I'll get 60 pm's with everyone looking to help and we'll have to pick the best. Alternatively please let me know if you can cause it will be needed.

Venue is not yet 100% confirmed.

That's all for now folks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

cough cough kof cough

don't what you're talking bout :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

ayjayirl wrote: »
    update:

Prizes Structure:
    The top two for AE and SFxT will get flights & accommodation to Paris for the tournament.

Sick prizes AJ! Get hype!

Like I said in the other topic, I'm making no promises here but I would like to make this event. I'll decide closer to the date. Should I make it, I'll be more than happy to supply my Xbox for this event.

Also, just thought of this as another possible side tournament; Super Turbo!

Like I said in the other topic, I'm making no promises here but I would like to make this event. I'll decide closer to the date. Should I make it, I'll be more than happy to supply my Xbox for this event.

Also, just thought of this as another possible side tournament; Super Turbo!

ST will probably be run anyway, as it's one of the SF25 events. We just won't get a spot in the Paris tournament for it though.

• Advertisement

what he said ^

ST will be played.

Anyway, KOF XIII, though a fantastic game, takes forever to run and we only have a handful of people who play it seriosuly.

Make it single elim.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Persona 4 should be out by then, right?
    I jinxed it, sorry guys.

Also KoF should be single-elim, FT2 games IMHO (just because sets are so long).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

ayjayirl wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    We are also looking for sponsorships where we can get them (all ideas welcome). Looking to run Marvel, MK9, Tekken 6, HDR, Skullgirlls (just cause), and other side tournies depending on setups etc. Lets make it a big one!

That's it for now. I'll update more when I have it
    Aj

How about contacting NRS for MK9

They're pretty tight with the community itself and love sponsering MK events

Also when the equipment thread pops up I'll be bringing an Xbox, just mentioning it twice:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I should be able to come so will help Doomy out with streaming/recording/etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Just a suggestion, VF5:FS side tourney? Its had no real tournament in Ireland so far and I for one would be willing to supply a console for it.

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    Just a suggestion, VF5:FS side tourney? Its had no real tournament in Ireland so far and I for one would be willing to supply a console for it.

It's also on my PS3.

Another suggestion for a side tournament; Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. The ' HD ' version came out today on XBL and PSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    It's also on my PS3.

I have it on my Xbox too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

Sadly, already booked to play a wedding on Oct 6th so won't make it this time round. Could somebody set up an RSS feed or Facebook group specifically for tournaments, just to keep those of us on the fringes of the community in the know?

Advertisement