Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If this doesnt tug at your heartstrings, check your pulse

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Even though it is fictional the saddest dog story I ever saw was the one where Frys dog dies in Futurama. I was traumatised the first time I saw it. I love Futurama but will never watch THAT episode again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Confab wrote: »
    That guy's man card must be revoked. Lulling his dog to sleep in a lake means the house will always be full of wet-dog smell. I thought the title was about a guy euthanising his dog by drowning it in the lake.

I'm allergic to dogs, but I'd still much prefer to hang out with one than someone who thinks like that.

Also, I'm best mates with my OH's dog (when I've taken my meds). He often jokes that we've picked up each other's traits (like staring at him when we want something). I'd be grief stricken if something happened him.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

pookiesboo wrote: »
    This is so sad :(

I know...the ponytail right??, sooo sad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I'm not an emotional guy in any sense of the word, but anything to do with the relationship between a Dog and it's owner always manages to set me off.

Here's a short film I seen recently that pushed me to tears. It really displays the unbreakable bond that exists between a Man and his Dog, a bond that lasts long after the two have parted.

Thanx so much for posting that, but I am now in floods :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

I'm not an emotional guy in any sense of the word, but anything to do with the relationship between a Dog and it's owner always manages to set me off.

Here's a short film I seen recently that pushed me to tears. It really displays the unbreakable bond that exists between a Man and his Dog, a bond that lasts long after the two have parted.

Man that video was absolutely heartbreaking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

gazzer wrote: »
    Even though it is fictional the saddest dog story I ever saw was the one where Frys dog dies in Futurama. I was traumatised the first time I saw it. I love Futurama but will never watch THAT episode again.

There's a statue outside Shibuya station in Tokyo dedicated to a dog who would wait for his owner to come home from work every day. When the owner died, the dog still turned up every day for years afterwards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Nice story, but i'm decidedly meh on this.

Takes a lot more than this to get tears out of me bucko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Q_Ball wrote: »
    There's a statue outside Shibuya station in Tokyo dedicated to a dog who would wait for his owner to come home from work every day. When the owner died, the dog still turned up every day for years afterwards.

I'll dig up a link for it.

Also Greyfriars Bobby in Edinburgh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyfriars_Bobby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Confab wrote: »
    That guy's man card must be revoked. Lulling his dog to sleep in a lake means the house will always be full of wet-dog smell. I thought the title was about a guy euthanising his dog by drowning it in the lake.

Don't be that guy man. It's always the smallest men who talk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Nice story, but i'm decidedly meh on this.

Takes a lot more than this to get tears out of me bucko.

Pretty much the same. Loved my dog though and started to think over all the crazy sh1t it would get itself into :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I'm just going out to check my dog, I'm certain mrs Mattjack planted stuff that needs to be dug up or clothes that should'nt be hangin' on the clothes line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

This is a very uplifting story about a man who is caring for his best friend with the kindness someone so faithful deserves.:):)

“A Special Prayer
    From A Dog To His Master”
    Written by Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart
    in all the world is more grateful for kindness than
    the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I
    should lick your hand between the blows, your patience
    and understanding will more quickly teach me the things
    you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest... and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ShirleyBassey

bluewolf wrote: »
    how is that sad? they go out every evening to the lake so the doggy feels better
    it's absolutely lovely
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/man-dog-lake-superior-photo-_n_1755609.html

excuse me, i have something in my eye *cough*

Is that Matthew McConaughey.....didn't he just get marrried.....is that her??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

OMG, this is all so sad :(. I don't understand people who don't like animals - actually I feel sorry for them.

There is nothing as rewarding as the unconditional love of a pet, and it's devastating when they die.

Reading this thread has me in tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭p to the e

Seen as it's in the Daily Mail I'm surprised it's not about how the man claims the lake cures his blindness and the dog gives him sexual powers so he can go on a coke fuelled sex binge with Jordan whilst pointing and laughing at Harvey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Well fúck this thread anyway!

Going home now to hug my dog. He'll chew my face when I do it but by Jesus I'm gonna hug the little bastard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, or any food really, I'm not at all fussy, I found a 3 week old rotting bird out the back and washed it down with some toilet water, ye should really flush that toilet or I'll get it's contents all over the house again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

More detail of the article: http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/239104/
    It didn’t take long for the image to go viral.

“About six hours later I was in complete awe that it had been shared, I think it was, 200 times,” Hudson said.

But that was barely the beginning. By Sunday evening, the photo had been shared 86,000 times, “liked” 150,000 times and viewed in excess of 1.8 million times. The more-than-17,000 Facebook comments on the photo include words such as “touching,” “tender,” “loving,” “breathtaking” and “precious.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Ah God. That's so sad. I didn't even read the article - closed it straight down after realising what it was about. I know it was a nice thing to do, but losing your best doggie friend really hits a sore spot with me.

It did remind me of this nice story though - Nice story :) Still have the link 'cause I emailed it to loads of people when I first saw it - loved it so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

xoxyx wrote: »
    Ah God. That's so sad. I didn't even read the article - closed it straight down after realising what it was about. I know it was a nice thing to do, but losing your best doggie friend really hits a sore spot with me.
    He didn't lose his doggie, it's just about how he takes it to the river for comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

ScumLord wrote: »
    He didn't lose his doggie, it's just about how he takes it to the river for comfort.

I know he's not gone yet, but he's not coming to the end of his life. My auntie had a 12 year old dalmatian who got arthritis and, even though she knew he should be put down as he was in pain, she hung on to him for as long as possible - which meant seeing him fall out the door into the back garden and she would have to lift his legs to get him back in. I don't agree with what she did, because it would have been kinder to put him down earlier, but she kept him for as long as she could. She was heartbroken the whole time, and I hope I'm never in as difficult a position. Really feel for that guy, 'cause it may be the hardest thing he ever has to do when he decides to say goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Dean09 wrote: »

Going home now to hug my dog. He'll chew my face when I do it but by Jesus I'm gonna hug the little bastard!

My work here is done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm not liking seeing mine get old, although it has helped calm her down a bit :p

I've had my dog for 11 years, got her when she was only a few weeks old. Haven't seen her in 5 months, and I've another left before I get home. I miss her :(

I am looking forward to seeing her go mental upon my return though :D
    Best feeling ever!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I normally wouldnt be affected by things like that video up there ^^^^^ but I got my first ever dog a few weeks ago and it definitely had me welling up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nice story but I'm f*cked if I'm letting a dog in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Dean09 wrote: »

LOL....:D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The bond between people and their pets is extraordinary at times. I cried for pretty much this entire documentary - people who have lost everything, and all they care about and want back are their dogs. If you love animals or have a pet that you really love, you won't be able to keep it together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

This thread reminded me that I haven't seen my cat in a while. Went away for two weeks on holidays and I haven't seen him since.

That was in June.

Did anyone ever see Jimmy Stewart (the film actor, see the clip on you tube) about his dog Boo?...

Not sure how to post but if someone could I'd be obliged.......

Tissues...........:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't agree with what she did, because it would have been kinder to put him down earlier, but she kept him for as long as she could.
    I think this can sometimes go both ways. Some people keep a pet for longer than they should, but equally some may choose to put them to sleep because of how they think they might feel in the dog or cats position. They project that onto their pet. Dogs and cats may well feel differently if they're in no pain.

My last dog had an element of that. He got arthritis when he was 15. The vet I felt was a little quick to suggest putting him to sleep. I thought on it, but when I brought him home he limped out to the garden and rolled in the grass like a pup. I thought feck that and asked her for help regarding pain management. TBH that particular vet was as much use as tits on a bull, so I sought better counsel*.

9 months on when those big snows of two years ago came and again he was like a pup again. Loved it. Actually dragged me to the shops when it was at it's height. The Chinese lad behind the counter who lives above the shop told me to ignore the "no dogs" sign and bring him on in. Turns out the lad was a fellow dog owner so he gave him a pack of sausages free gratis. After that the old hairy bastard didn't want to leave :D

Nearly a year ago now in his bed, not that far off 18, after a day pottering about following me around happy out, he went to sleep in my arms and didn't wake up. No strangers, just his family. Truly broke my heart, but I feel so lucky that this was his end.

*IMHO and it's just my HO, while there is some serious dedication in the profession(vet nurses in particular) there can be a surprising level of unscientific near quackery too. That's been my experience anyway

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

The bond between people and their pets is extraordinary at times. I cried for pretty much this entire documentary - people who have lost everything, and all they care about and want back are their dogs. If you love animals or have a pet that you really love, you won't be able to keep it together.

After watching oden being put to sleep & now this, I'm crying my eyes out.
    Proper tears too, nosed is bunged up with snot waiting to fall.
    I asked my guy earlier did he love me as much as I love him. He gave me a lick on the cheek. I nearly died.
    I had to wait to get home to finish reading this thread. Work thought I was having a breakdown :)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Wibbs wrote: »
    I don't agree with what she did, because it would have been kinder to put him down earlier, but she kept him for as long as she could.
    I think this can sometimes go both ways. Some people keep a pet for longer than they should, but equally some may choose to put them to sleep because of how they think they might feel in the dog or cats position. They project that onto their pet. Dogs and cats may well feel differently if they're in no pain.

My last dog had an element of that. He got arthritis when he was 15. The vet I felt was a little quick to suggest putting him to sleep. I thought on it, but when I brought him home he limped out to the garden and rolled in the grass like a pup. I thought feck that and asked her for help regarding pain management. TBH that particular vet was as much use as tits on a bull, so I sought better counsel*.

9 months on when those big snows of two years ago came and again he was like a pup again. Loved it. Actually dragged me to the shops when it was at it's height. The Chinese lad behind the counter who lives above the shop told me to ignore the "no dogs" sign and bring him on in. Turns out the lad was a fellow dog owner so he gave him a pack of sausages free gratis. After that the old hairy bastard didn't want to leave :D

Nearly a year ago now in his bed, not that far off 18, after a day pottering about following me around happy out, he went to sleep in my arms and didn't wake up. No strangers, just his family. Truly broke my heart, but I feel so lucky that this was his end.

[SIZE="1"]*IMHO and it's just my HO, while there is some serious dedication in the profession(vet nurses in particular) there can be a surprising level of unscientific near quackery too. That's been my experience anyway[/SIZE]
    And I start crying again!

*IMHO and it's just my HO, while there is some serious dedication in the profession(vet nurses in particular) there can be a surprising level of unscientific near quackery too. That's been my experience anyway

That was a seriously nice post...........:)....RIP your pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Awh noes... It's Marley & me all over again :(

I still don't want to see this movie. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

After watching oden being put to sleep & now this, I'm crying my eyes out.
    Proper tears too, nosed is bunged up with snot waiting to fall.
    I asked my guy earlier did he love me as much as I love him. He gave me a lick on the cheek. I nearly died.
    I had to wait to get home to finish reading this thread. Work thought I was having a breakdown :)
    :) Not that surprising G. The bond between humans and their pets can be very deep. We've had dogs for at least 20+ thousand years(I'd put real money down it's closer to 50 kya) and we've had cats since the dawn of agriculture 12,000 years ago. Some have argued that this bond and co-operation is what made us successful as a species. None of our previous cousins like Neandertals had pets(that we know of). Domestication brings big changes and those changes may go both ways.

If you think about it, some mad bastard many thousands of years ago thought "you know Ted, I reckon us and them huge hairy bastards with teeth might be a good partnership". That convo goes unrecorded, but I suspect his or her mates thought "jaysus they've lost it". This was one apex predator, thinking of bonding with another apex predator and either could kill the other(wolves and humans are one of the very few predators that regularly take down prey bigger than themselves). Yet we both made the deal and that deal turned out to be a damn good one. Other humans died out, the wolf became a lot rarer and went extinct in a lot of places, yet here we are and the dog who may be dozing at your feet in between eating your shoes and crapping all over the garden is 99% wolf in DNA. We've grown together for a very very long time.

Cats not too different either. The wild version of your pet moggie is rare, yet pet cats are common. Hell they're barely domesticated by comparison to dogs. In some ways they got the better deal. They can be part time pets. Jammy bastards :D They're very adaptable in this. They can lay about the place with you giving them cuddles and they giving you cuddles and purrs in return and then turn into mini tigers the second they leave your gaff. If that happened with dogs the army would be called out and there wouldn't be a sheep, cow or pig left alive for miles around. :D

I know someone with a cat that brings back whole dead pigeons. OK normal enough, however this cat is a fussy wagon, won't eat them unless boiled. I kid thee not gentle reader. Brings them back and expects mammy and daddy to cook em up. Gets real excited about the process too. Can you imagine that with a Labrador? Comes back with a whole goat at the back door... "eh listen, can you cook this up and BTW this time maybe add some dill, the mint didnt work the last time monkey boy". :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It's always worth getting a second opinion, some vets are really 'trigger happy', or worse still, quick to diagnose without proper tests. I almost lost a pet this way years ago, but a nagging feeling made me seek a second opinion. Turns out that one vet's cancer is another's arthritis.

I have a really good vet now and all the staff in the clinic are really nice too, from the receptionist to the nurses.

I have unfortunately have to had a pet euthanised, and they really made it easier and were very supportive. It's an agonising decision but it was clear the pet was suffering and was terminally ill :(.

Advertisement