Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mars Rover Pics Thread ( From Spirit, Opportunity & Curiosity)

Options
  • 10-08-2012 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

I think it deserves a thread. Sure this thing is going to be taking some amazing pics over the next year or so:D

mars01.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?1344535007

mars_rover_iron_panorama_333.jpg

This pic is amazing

tumblr_m8i5f7gkDH1qi7eg5o1_500.jpg

Looks like the Empire got there first!!

12_08_09_rover_01.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I think it deserves a thread. Sure this thing is going to be taking some amazing pics over the next year decade or so:D

FYP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'd say those are from the 'Opportunity' rover judging by the dust covered solar panels in one of the pics.

Curiosity is nuclear powered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I'd say those are from the 'Opportunity' rover judging by the dust covered solar panels in one of the pics.

Curiosity is nuclear powered.

Yeah it definitely is.

If this thread is gonna go ahead I propose that people caption each picture with what it is and who its by.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

For anyone wondering what all the fuss is about. :)
    Curiosity's landing in drama-time with CGI. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

I think it deserves a thread. Sure this thing is going to be taking some amazing pics over the next year or so:D

I would bear in mind that the mastcam on the new rover curiosity is only a 2 megapixel ccd.

Mod note:
    Title edited to reflect all rovers past and present so as to not confuse newcomers who may not be familiar with "the little rovers that could", spirit (RIP) and opportunity.

For the Uninitiated:

Mars Exploration Rovers

Spirit MER-A Launch Date: June 10 2003
    Opportunity MER-B Launch Date: July 7th 2003
    Curiosity MER-C / MSL (Mars Science Laboratory) Launch Date: November 26th 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

slade_x wrote: »
    I would bear in mind that the mastcam on the new rover curiosity is only a 2 megapixel ccd.

Mod note:
    Title edited to reflect all rovers past and present so as to not confuse newcomers who may not be familiar with "the little rovers that could", spirit (RIP) and opportunity.

What about little Sojourner?? After all it was the first Mars Rover ever!

Sojourner_on_Mars_PIA01122.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

2 megapixels seems incredibly small given the great exposure (no pun intended) that good pics of the surface of Mars give the project.

2 megapixels seems incredibly small given the great exposure (no pun intended) that good pics of the surface of Mars give the project.

Actually 2MP is huge when you consider the rover only has a 133MHz processor on board. Blame the semi conductor companies for not yet developing reliable radiation hardened processors capable of long term space flight endurance and landing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Probably need to consider bandwidth - it's probably a waste to have to high a definition camera on board otherwise you'll expend bandwidth on photos to the detriment of other data that onboard experiments will be gathering.

I think (hope:)) some thought went in to selecting the optimal camera in the context of the whole mission.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What about little Sojourner?? After all it was the first Mars Rover ever!

Ah yes Pathfinder. the only photographs i remember from that mission were taken from the lander which featured the rover itself in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ah yes Pathfinder. the only photographs i remember from that mission were taken from the lander which featured the rover itself in them

Sojourner itself had cameras and took images of Pathfinder and it's surroundings:

27090.gif

Sojourner itself had cameras and took images of Pathfinder and it's surroundings:

Yes i know, as i said i only remember the ones from the lander, the panoramic in particular stood out in memory

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/multimedia/gallery/Pathfinder_Panorama.jpg

Whenever i think of what the surface of mars looks like or what it would be like to be standing on martian soil looking out, this is the image that i picture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Some 3d curiosity images if you have the glasses:

curiosity-3-d-view.jpg

mars-rover-curiosity-3d-rear-photo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Mt. Sharp:)

mars_msl_sol12nav_3frame_mtsharp_lakdawalla_NLA_398561738EDR_F0030004NCAM00400M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

shedweller wrote: »

mars_msl_sol12nav_3frame_mtsharp_lakdawalla_NLA_398561738EDR_F0030004NCAM00400M.jpg
    The rover will never make it to the top of that.

irishgeo wrote: »
    shedweller wrote: »

The rover will never make it to the top of that.
    It will handle 50 degrees before falling over and is limited to 30 degrees for safety, from what i gather. But in terms of grip on that slope.......we'll have to see. We must also remember that gravity on mars is somewhat less than earth so it would handle steeper gradients than on earth. Should..........

Bloody well better!!! Come on Curiosity!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

27090.gif
    Years ago I saw a nice video showing why Spirit/Opportunity changed design from lander+rover to rover-only. It showed graphically how all equipment were transferred from lander to rover to be carried around.
    Does anybody remember the video and have a link?

Earth seen from mars last Saturday!:eek: (this has been discovered to be a fake)

486584_10151366598457907_886563449_n.jpg

Earth seen from mars last Saturday!:eek:

Totally and completely fake!
    I'm getting really sick of these pics doing the rounds on facebook and the like. Why would people even bother faking this stuff?

Jernal wrote: »
    Totally and completely fake!
    I'm getting really sick of these pics doing the rounds on facebook and the like. Why would people even bother faking this stuff?

Damn really? Whats the point in faking these pic's? Pity.:mad:

• Advertisement

i found areal one here though:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsfc/4542423536/

Damn really? Whats the point in faking these pic's? Pity.:mad:

I really don't know, especially when NASA actually released pics of Earthfrom Mars and it's even more humbling.

Edit : Lol :). Yep that one is legit and beautiful. See how much smaller Earth is. :)

Jernal wrote: »
    I really don't know, especially when NASA actually released pics of Earthfrom Mars and it's even more humbling.

Edit : Lol :). Yep that one is legit and beautiful. See how much smaller Earth is. :)

Thanks for that pic, Jernal (and bogwalrus!). I haven't seen that image in quite a while.

I'm guessing that no images of Earth have been taken from Curiosity yet, no? If not, are there any plans to take one? I'd love to see a colour one.

I'd say thats fairly well down the priority list at the moment. Mind you, when the time comes, could they use the chem cams telescope for a closer view? Ya, its a ridiculous idea alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

again source links

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

NASA have released a new documentary on the landing. You can find it in the usual places.

more from Curiosity
    marsgale_curiosity_1452.jpg

curiosity-mastcam-34-mount-sharp.jpg

Rover itself looking pretty cool:
    getMediumImage.php?id=PIA16027

mars-curiosity-sharp-size.jpg

on the right track:
    pia16112-43.jpg

This is a fantastic pic:

Mars-Curiosity-Black-and-White.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I wonder what it can hear? (As if you were standing beside it on the desolate plains)

I saw on the news that they transmitted a song back and forth from curiosity. They said although curiosity did not have speakers the sound would have sounded distorted and thin due to the atmosphere on mars.

So my guess is things would sound strange on mars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yes i know, as i said i only remember the ones from the lander, the panoramic in particular stood out in memory

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/multimedia/gallery/Pathfinder_Panorama.jpg

Whenever i think of what the surface of mars looks like or what it would be like to be standing on martian soil looking out, this is the image that i picture
    Wow there's a bunch of nettles there beside one of the rocks

Advertisement