Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Options

Options
  • 10-08-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

My current system is:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
    Mobo: Asus M5A88-V EVO AM3+
    RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 1333MHz CL7 4GB
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 Xtreme Edition
    1TB HDD

Looking to get into gaming more on the PC as opposed to consoles so looking to upgrade to cope with better newer games. I've read that games don't use more than four cores at the moment so the six cores in my processor aren't being fully utilised, and the CPU isn't up there with the best on the market. Basically I'm looking for advice on whether to get an 1155 mobo and i5 3570k, or would I be better served waiting for the Piledriver CPUs and seeing how they perform compared to Intel.

I think the GPU should be OK for now, have to try Arkham City on it later but I'm not looking for max settings, so should do for now. Will probably pick up another 4GB of RAM seeing it's so cheap at the moment.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    My current system is:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
    Mobo: Asus M5A88-V EVO AM3+
    RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 1333MHz CL7 4GB
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 Xtreme Edition
    1TB HDD

Looking to get into gaming more on the PC as opposed to consoles so looking to upgrade to cope with better newer games. I've read that games don't use more than four cores at the moment so the six cores in my processor aren't being fully utilised, and the CPU isn't up there with the best on the market. Basically I'm looking for advice on whether to get an 1155 mobo and i5 3570k, or would I be better served waiting for the Piledriver CPUs and seeing how they perform compared to Intel.

I think the GPU should be OK for now, have to try Arkham City on it later but I'm not looking for max settings, so should do for now. Will probably pick up another 4GB of RAM seeing it's so cheap at the moment.

Any advice?
    That AMD processor isn't actually that bad, and if I were you I'd just stick it out for Intel's Haswell chips coming next year (I think).

Depending on your budget, I'd get an SSD (128GB if you can) and a new graphics card. The new 660ti is coming soon (16th) so it might be worth your while to wait; it should a worthy upgrade from your 5850.

By the way, what's your budget and screen resolution?

EDIT: I'd recommend getting an aftermarket heatsink and overclocking your CPU, it should do you for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Eboggles wrote: »
    That AMD processor isn't actually that bad, and if I were you I'd just stick it out for Intel's Haswell chips coming next year (I think).

Depending on your budget, I'd get an SSD (128GB if you can) and a new graphics card. The new 660ti is coming soon (16th) so it might be worth your while to wait; it should a worthy upgrade from your 5850.

By the way, what's your budget and screen resolution?

Sorry forgot I have a Corsair 120GB Force GT, havent used it yet trying to work out a dual boot solution. Budget trying to keep it around 350 euro. Screen is 1920x1080.

The Haswell chips will likely have a different chipset and socket? So I'd be better holding onto my money and just wait for that stuff to come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Sorry forgot I have a Corsair 120GB Force GT, havent used it yet trying to work out a dual boot solution. Budget trying to keep it around 350 euro. Screen is 1920x1080.

The Haswell chips will likely have a different chipset and socket? So I'd be better holding onto my money and just wait for that stuff to come out?

That's what I'd do, your CPU is no slouch! I'd just get a new graphics card and be done with it, alongside an aftermarket CPU heatsink if you don't already have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Loosen the memory timings and increase the clock speed for a bit of a bump in performance (ickle one)

Loosen the memory timings and increase the clock speed for a bit of a bump in performance (ickle one)

Wouldn't say I'd need that, serving me grand as it is just thinking ahead for future games ACIII, GTAV etc.. That wouldn't really increase game performance would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think everything there is fine for now. Down the line, a graphics card upgrade maybe.
    Are you actually struggling with anything?

All I know about AMD CPUs is they like fast memory - CL7 is nice but not as fast as 1600 CL9. Unlikely to make much difference.

All I know about AMD CPUs is they like fast memory - CL7 is nice but not as fast as 1600 CL9. Unlikely to make much difference.

Seems true alright.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/phenom-ii-x6-memory_3.html
    This is on an overclocked system. Gains are less noticeable if it's not overclocked.

Monotype wrote: »
    I think everything there is fine for now. Down the line, a graphics card upgrade maybe.
    Are you actually struggling with anything?

Haven't struggled with anything yet but haven't really tried any recent games. I have to try Arkham City later on but from what I've read it should be able to run it no problems. My main concerns are that the processor wouldn't be good enough for more modern games. So wait for Haswell and pick up a GPU in the meantime?

GPU is defo the weakest link in that machine at the moment.

CPU limited games are few and far between - take BF3 an Pentium G will run that game within 3 FPS as an i7. Skyrim is a different story to be fair but there is little point upgrading an area that doesn't need it in favour of an area that does.

You'll probably want to go for something like a 660ti to see a noticeable difference - the 5850 is still an okay is card imo.

• Advertisement

Yeah, there's no real need to upgrade the CPU. AMD hasn't released anything better although they should have some new ones soon - not that that would be worth upgrading to either.
    There's a bit of overclocking with that 3.2GHz CPU as well. 10% should be easily enough done.

Most games will rely much more heavily on a graphics card than CPU.

Even the GPU is still fairly powerful if you're running at 1920x1080. It's better than a 6850 and still offers a lot of raw power overall aside from improved efficiencies in modern cards with DirectX 11, power consumption, crossfire etc.

GPU is defo the weakest link in that machine at the moment.

CPU limited games are few and far between - take BF3 an Pentium G will run that game within 3 FPS as an i7. Skyrim is a different story to be fair but there is little point upgrading an area that doesn't need it in favour of an area that does.

You'll probably want to go for something like a 660ti to see a noticeable difference - the 5850 is still an okay is card imo.

Ha I was thinking the GPU was the one thing that was OK in the build! Around what price is the 660ti gonna be? And is there any AMD ones that'd compete price/performance wise?

EDIT: MY PSU is the Superflower Amazon 450w, probably relevant.

450w is fine for that particular CPU - well I'd assume so it would be in an Intel system AMDs can be a bit more power hungry.

660ti could be as high as $329 - we'll have to wait and see - and what the knock on effect to other GPUs will be

IMO, don't worry about it and just use your system away as you please. If you find that you run into trouble down the road after you've tried a few titles, then come back.
    Ha I was thinking the GPU was the one thing that was OK in the build! Around what price is the 660ti gonna be? And is there any AMD ones that'd compete price/performance wise?

They reduced some prices but still aren't as good value as they could be. The 7850 is too high in price. Hopefully a few nvidia cards will bring some competition.

Just a follow up about the 7850, its PCI-E 3.0, would the card work with the PCI-E 2.0 slots on my mobo, with a performance decrease I'd assume?

Next to no performance decrease.
    You have PCI-E 2 x16. Even at x8 bandwidth, you'd still be fine. So you have more than twice the amount of bandwidth that you need. I think PCI-E 3 also has the potential to provide more power through the slot but I think this would be aimed at lower cards anyway.

Thought I'd dig this up again instead of starting a new thread..

I'm going buying a second monitor, RAM and a wifi card from HWVS tomorrow so have decided to get the new GPU at the same time. I've been looking at the ASUS 7870 OC, but have been reading reviews of the 7800 series and I'm not sure whether to get this or a 7850 model(50 cheaper for stock card). Will be running two 1080p screens and game on a single screen.

Current games aren't new ones, but will be buying new releases on PC from now on, rather take the PC away to college than the PS3.

What do yas think?

There's some good deals on the 7870s since they've been heavily reduced. On hardwareversand, there's ones only about €230.

All cards nowadays will support 2 screens and if you're just gaming on the one screen, a 7850 or 7870 would both be fine.

Just when you're looking at the 7850: There's 2 versions. One has 1GB and the other has 2GB.

Cheers, went for the 7870 but can't do a transfer online because AIB have decided to come up with more idiotic 'security'!

I transferred with AIB before. Is there a new system or have you not done an external transfer previously? You'll need a code card or that reader thingy.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    I transferred with AIB before. Is there a new system or have you not done an external transfer previously? You'll need a code card or that reader thingy.

Yeah I have too when I built the yoke last year. Aye its saying I need a card reader machine, fairly ridiculous IMO, can't see why they don't just send them out if they're compulsory. Raging anyway cos I need the stuff delivered by Thursday week.

Code card not working anymore then? :(

Nope, only option is the card reader. Site says the card reader is compulsory from the 30th, seems its compulsory already. Will just have to go into the branch tomorrow.

And I wanted me new toys paid for quickly!

Well that sucks. I never heard anything about that. I suppose I'd better order one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I've been using the card reader since last year and works great... except it's had a low battery since I got it :D

spix wrote: »
    I've been using the card reader since last year and works great... except it's had a low battery since I got it :D

Ara it was more the inconvenience of it that annoyed me

Advertisement