Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Burgers in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

trellheim wrote: »
    five-guys-fries.jpg

What you've posted is less than a small ...

( photo from Internet stock )

My point also is that they( Wow ) don't offer such a thing - it's take it or leave it one size of fries ( yes of course you can buy two )
    The photo I posted was purposely from an Irish review, as I knew there is absolutely no point going to stock photos of US portions, often people looking for shock hits/views, and mainly since portion sizes vary hugely across the world.

Mine was an honest photo, someone posted who was neither complaining nor boasting or saying it was unusual -so no reason to be faking it. Maybe the person in your photo did get some freakish bag for some reason. I would be annoyed to get that, and I am a big eater, if going into a takeaway and ordering a large fries that is just ridiculous to get, knowing a medium or small would have done. Absolute dickheads if they do no declare that "large" (most unusually) means 5-6 times the amount a mcdonalds large fries is. I did see some complaints before about this with five guys, sad to see such wastage.

these are the UK sizes, more likely to be the same as ours
    rubadub wrote: »
    I used to count calories and have weighed chips from an italian chipper before and they are usually about 450g, I have gotten bags over 800g which is unusual. The 5 guys chips are small/reg/large 227/411/567g. So the regular should be like a standard bag of chips, which may well be enough for 2 people.

A big mac is 490kcal a "little hamburger" is 505kcalr

My point also is that they( Wow ) don't offer such a thing - it's take it or leave it one size of fries ( yes of course you can buy two ) .
    exactly, this what I hoped to coax you into admitting, and what should have been said to begin with -I agree it is stupid that wow did not offer bigger ones, but also that you can of course buy 2 in wow, buying 2 is 5.90 which while is very expensive but is just 40cent more than the large is in five guys.

Anyway, if I want proper chips I go to an Italian chipper. I have no interest in a laughable pile of chips like in that photo, begging to go cold and uneaten. I would go to these places for the burgers, not the overpriced smattering of chips.

EDIT: BTW this was the first pic I found of a "little chips in five guys" it was on an Irish media site but turned out to be a US picture, and so irrelevant...

3dafc3b5ddbe0a40cece5455e21df191.png

I remember going to KFC in NY for a medium or small KFC popcorn chicken and getting some stupid amount I just managed to finish. This is why I was delighted to hear that calories were planned to be declared on menus here, no so I could pick low calorie options but rather so I would know what to expect, and to have valid complaints if I was told I was getting 1300kcal of chips yet served what looked like 400kcal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

exactly, this what I hoped to coax you into admitting, and what should have been said to begin with -I agree it is stupid that wow did not offer bigger ones
    Oh get off the horse ... "what I hoped to coax " what kind of person are you ? Not somebody I'd be interested in talking to in a pub for more than 30 secs thats for sure.

IF you go into a 5 guys ask for a large thats exactly what you want to get in my pic above, its not your call if you dont like the size, thats what a 5 guys large is and what everyone who knows it is, and you don't have to finish it.

Now and then ( once a year ) I might get the urge to do a 5 guys large if I'm in a town that does it.

Yes its an Internet Board but if you don't like what others want to eat well you don't have to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes its an Internet Board but if you don't like what others want to eat well you don't have to look.
    ehh mmm yeah, ooookay, right back at you... I am on some sort of horse, okay oddball...

Can you post any pics you got of the "little chips" you got in dublin, or anybody elses to show the other one was wrong and "less than a small" as you described. And any genuine pics of the big chips (in Ireland obviously) would help others here gauge what they should buy too.
    thats what a 5 guys large is and what everyone who knows it is
    they don't though, that is my point... pathetically & wilfully ignorant ***T

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well, this went to sh!t...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I ordered a 'small' fries in Five Guys Dundrum 2 weeks ago and it was very generous - the twitter pic above looks about right even if it's from the US - I got the little cup and there was easily another cup and a half in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Beneath the new Dollard & Co in Temple Bar is a steakhouse called Tomahawk. They do a very good burger and chips. Its cooked on an Argentinian bbq right behind the bar counter. We sat at the counter so were talking to the head chef for a bit while he cooked away. He told us the burger is made up in house by mincing off cuts from their sirloin, rib eyes and tomahawk steaks. At 16 euro it is not cheap but not a million miles away from going into 5 guys either. I would recommend it.

If anyone else knows of restaurants who do a quality burger I would be keen to hear:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Muahahaha wrote:
    If anyone else knows of restaurants who do a quality burger I would be keen to hear

Big fan of the phx bistro and Oscars burgers in Smithfield area

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I had a really great burger in HQ down by Grand Canal recently, delicious cheese and toppings, and brioche bun. The brioche can be a bit sweet and soggy with burgers but it was lovely on this one.

Love Wow burger, and have to agree on the garlic fries, unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

just want to add Token burgers are delicious ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

A Bunsen burger combined with WowBurger chili/garlic fries would be the winner for me, with special mentions for the Counter’s chili/cheese fries and the milkshakes in Bunsen/Counter/Five Guys...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Heard good things about the Generator hostel in Smithfield.

There's a good selection of quality burger joints out there at the moment. I finally got to visit the Chili Shack on Prussia St. a couple of months ago. Amazing burger, I must get back for a return visit soon.

Now, if you'd bear with me while I lower the tone of the thread for a moment. You won't see Lovin Dublin write an article about it, you won't be taking the missus there for an evening out, but the Supermac's 5 Oz with bacon and cheese is one tasty burger. It's about €5.50 on its own, and I really can't fault it.

Good luck to their manky chips, no I don't want a drink with that, but well done Supermacs on the 5oz B+C, I will be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

RasTa wrote: »
    Heard good things about the Generator hostel in Smithfield.

Yep, well worth a visit, very tasty burgers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Only downfall with this burger places - no bacon option! What gives!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Had Bunsen yesterday. ( Temple Bar ) . Service and food much better than Camden st. Fries a decent portion but still, and all, they could do large sizes. Also - no starter, and no dessert options.

Sure, I get it, its burgers and fries, but its just leaving cash on the table in my view with not offering extras; the product does not make a destination restaurant so why not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Chili shack burger is decent but by god the dogs are rotten.

Dublin 7 has quite the burger choice with all the aforementioned plus jo'burger and hole in the wall.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Had Bunsen yesterday. ( Temple Bar ) . Service and food much better than Camden st. Fries a decent portion but still, and all, they could do large sizes. Also - no starter, and no dessert options.

Sure, I get it, its burgers and fries, but its just leaving cash on the table in my view with not offering extras; the product does not make a destination restaurant so why not ?

Quicker turnover, if they offered desserts people would stay longer for less financial gain. Fair enough, they sell a couple of starters or desserts at say €7 per person. Alternatively the table could be occupied by a couple of people both buying a burger, fries and a drink at a minimum of €12 per person. Bunsen aren't trying to be a destination restaurant, they're simply offering better quality fast food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I would actually consider Bunsen to be seen by a good few as somewhat of a destination restaurant/eatery, which really says a fair bit given they basically just stick to burgers and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Was in Wow Burger on parnell Street today, two frozen burgers overcooked with lukewarm fries. Had the same experience in the one in Mary's hardware last year but my friend wanted to try it, wish we'd gone to Eddie Rockets instead.

Give me Bobo most days or Bunsen any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭VW 1

Starving after reading through the last few pages.

Going to bunsen for lunch tomorrow after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

Angus steak burgers from Tesco finest, 3 euro for two hefty burgers. Much nicer than anything I've got in town for a fraction of the price. You won't be disappointed

Patww79 wrote: »

Forgot to mention that part, they come with red onions (unless you ask otherwise).

I like onions; red, raw or otherwise, but understand the dealbreaker/burger-ruiner they can be for those who don't like them.

Since the thread is active again...

Any word of another 5 guys opening up? I remember when the Dundrum one opened, it was supposed to be the first of a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Bunsen has dirty raw onions too. Easy to scrape off if you forget to order without them of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone been to hard rock cafe in Dublin?

I've been in there numerous times in different countries and their burgers have always been top notch.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I recommend
    http://www.bujo.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Anyone who refers to their kitchen as the 'burger lab' could use a bit of a slap, but in fairness a quick google for reviews may as well have just came back with this...

standing-ovation.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Can't find the menu on that website ??? am I missing something?

Advertisement