Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Burgers in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

pm1977x wrote: »
    I ordered a 'small' fries in Five Guys Dundrum 2 weeks ago and it was very generous - the twitter pic above looks about right even if it's from the US - I got the little cup and there was easily another cup and a half in the bag.

Same, I had a five guys today, I always order small fires now as they are probably bigger than a large size elsewhere.

They fill the cup as per the pic above as the 'small fries' and then they have what appears to be a small flat container for each size which they fill and throw it in the bag also.

So the portion ends up at least double what fits in a cup.

As an aside their Cajun fries are rotten, they have that artificial taste like chicken wings in some US wing shops.

Edit - as an aside they are not the best burgers in Dublin, but probably the quickest most reliable good burger in my opinion. Normally as quick as an fast food place, but a lot better and of course a lot dearer. Normal fries are excellent, salty and well done with skin. Drink machines are interesting for trying a nice flavour mix and then getting your normal drink. Shakes are a bit much in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Caranica wrote: »
    Was in Wow Burger on parnell Street today, two frozen burgers overcooked with lukewarm fries.

That surprises me - I was in there a couple of times over Christmas and had a pretty decent burger (and good proper onion rings - which is a rarity) both times. Pity if they're not reliable :/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,395 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I never cook onions before I put them on a burger tbh.

Surprised it annoys so many.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

noodler wrote: »
    I never cook onions before I put them on a burger tbh.

Surprised it annoys so many.

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Nice crunchy raw onions.
    I like cooked onions too occasionally on a burger but I generally expect raw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's just a horrible taste and texture for me. Any heat at all in them and they're bearable but just not raw.

I'd be tasting raw onions for the rest of the day. Don't mind too much while eating them, it's just later on I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

RasTa wrote: »
    Heard good things about the Generator hostel in Smithfield.
    Zaph wrote: »
    Yep, well worth a visit, very tasty burgers there.

Menu was changed just before Christmas all the original burgers on menu are gone.

New burger sauce onions etc are awful dunno how head office passed off on that ****e!

I finished up in there myself couple weeks ago so I dunno if menu is still same but if it is avoid like the plague!! Bascially it's the only way they might bring back original burgers!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There's a good selection of quality burger joints out there at the moment. I finally got to visit the Chili Shack on Prussia St. a couple of months ago. Amazing burger, I must get back for a return visit soon.

Went to the Chilli Shack on Prussia St. earlier on your recommendation and must say that was a tasty burger :) Inside it definitely has a shack like appearance, lots of weathered furniture and sparse decor. The table next to us was playing jenga and the table next to them were having a game of Connect Four. Defintely popular as a bit of a hang out place.

I had the bacon and cheeseburger and the bacon had a really nice crunch which added texture to it. Also unlike most burger shops mentioned on this thread the burgers they serve are not the usual 1 inch thick patty in a very small bun, at the Chilli Shack they shape them much wider which is the way I tend to make them at home while using a large bap as the bun.

We had the nachos too as a starter and they were delicious though they were missing guacamole- which is a tex-mex cookery sin in my opinion. The price of avocados must be through the roof if they are leaving it out. The only complaint we had really was that they give you one of those buzzer devices to let you know when your burgers are ready at the counter- of course we were not even half way through the nachos when the buzzer went off and I had to interupt the starter to get the burgers cause the buzzer yolk wouldnt stop going off ! Luckily the burgers were wrapped in foil so didnt go cold but I do find it a bit frustrating to be half way through a starter and the mains gets landed upon you. Next time Im there Ill just order the starter first and then order the burgers afterwards.

Another unusual difference about the Chilli Shack was that fries were included with the burger. I thought to get a bacon cheesburger with fries for 8.50 all in was a great deal, drinks were only 1.50 too so for a tenner all in you can have quite the nosh up.

I will be back to try their wings and poutine, both of which looked tasty on tables next to us. Can defo recommend it to others who are invested in this never-ending quest to find the best burger in Dublin:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I will be back to try their wings and poutine, both of which looked tasty on tables next to us. Can defo recommend it to others who are invested in this never-ending quest to find the best burger in Dublin:D

long-neck-reaction.jpg

Gamechanger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

...did someone say poutine!? With actual curds?

On that note does anyone know where the feck to buy cheese curds? Can't find them anywhere and I'm fairly proud of my gravy.

I've made this once before in Toronto, survived somehow, and it needs to happen again (not my picture):
    259902_490455820b99344d6e8c5cdf0b38e99951adad41.jpg_facebook.jpg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Billy86 wrote: »
    ...did someone say poutine!? With actual curds?

On that note does anyone know where the feck to buy cheese curds? Can't find them anywhere and I'm fairly proud of my gravy.

I've made this once before in Toronto, survived somehow, and it needs to happen again (not my picture):
    259902_490455820b99344d6e8c5cdf0b38e99951adad41.jpg_facebook.jpg

This whole poutine thing came up years ago and we planned on doing it in the Generator. Had the curds had very very good rich gravy approved by Canadian tourists themselves ha.

The problem was the idiot working "above" me wanted to do it during the summer......

Yup that didn't work!!

Look for a good cheese supplier or even an ordinary one in our case and bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

skibum wrote: »
    Can't find the menu on that website ??? am I missing something?

You can find a picture of the menu on this review

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Another unusual difference about the Chilli Shack was that fries were included with the burger. I thought to get a bacon cheesburger with fries for 8.50 all in was a great deal, drinks were only 1.50 too so for a tenner all in you can have quite the nosh up.

And even better is that they have a loyalty card so you can get free food after a few visits. Plus they also have the best onion rings in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Poutine available in Taco Taco IIRC. Plus there’s also a poutine food truck that goes around the markets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Only had Vancouver poutine and even after a days snowboarding it wasn't that great.

RasTa wrote: »
    Only had Vancouver poutine and even after a days snowboarding it wasn't that great.

Montreal is the best, but it's good to mix with sausage, bacon or pulled pork. There's a bunch of other things people do with it but I reckon just some form of dead pig adds a lot to it, as it does everything *wraps rasher around Dairy Milk*.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

dudara wrote: »
    Poutine available in Taco Taco IIRC. Plus there’s also a poutine food truck that goes around the markets

had the food truck one before - was ok, passable.
    Will check out taco taco

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

I've had the poutine in Chili Shack. I was so excited to try it as I'd just come back from Whistler/Vancouver and was having a bit of a poutine withdrawal. The one in Chili Shack doesn't have proper cheese curd - it's just square chunks of very white cheese that didn't really melt into the chips and gravy. Disappointing. That was when they first opened though, they may have changed it.

Burgers and chili are top notch though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

The poutine in Chilli Shake is lovely. I didn't want to share my portion :D

• Advertisement

ciaradx wrote: »
    I've had the poutine in Chili Shack. I was so excited to try it as I'd just come back from Whistler/Vancouver and was having a bit of a poutine withdrawal. The one in Chili Shack doesn't have proper cheese curd - it's just square chunks of very white cheese that didn't really melt into the chips and gravy. Disappointing. That was when they first opened though, they may have changed it.

Burgers and chili are top notch though!

That's a bit disappointing, you'd think if they were skimping on curds they could go with diced mozzarella cubes (decent enough replacement for a quick homemade knock off by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Patww79 wrote: »
    budgemook wrote: »
    Bunsen has dirty raw onions too. Easy to scrape off if you forget to order without them of course.

Don't most places do raw onions on their burgers unless it specifically says? It's one of the basic ingredients of a burger I thought :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Cienciano wrote: »
    Don't most places do raw onions on their burgers unless it specifically says? It's one of the basic ingredients of a burger I thought :confused:

There's often a big onion cut into a ring that's very easy to remove compared to diced onions in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Can't you just say "no onions" when ordering?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Can't you just say "no onions" when ordering?

Sometimes you forget... and sometimes the people making it forget. For some weird reason 'no onions' seems to get missed in an order far, far more than other requests. I can't stand onions in anything other than a sauce and even then I'll run them through a cheese grater - nothing should be slimy and crunchy at the same time, it's an affront the nature. Kind of the same for the big bell peppers - finely diced with both I can get by with, but the big hulking shlabs of them some places put on anything is a pain. I like the flavour, just a texture thing, apart from oysters (aka a shot worth of warm snot) I think it's the only food I'm picky with.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The burger in Salt (part of Avoca) in Monkstown is exceptional. I think my favourite in Dublin, after Bunsen and Bujo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Maximilian wrote: »
    The burger in Salt (part of Avoca) in Monkstown is exceptional. I think my favourite in Dublin, after Bunsen and Bujo.

Agree! It's very good, although I think I'd prefer Angelina's or L'Gueuleton's burgers if I had a choice of the three, they're quite similar I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Bobos tried last week , nothing to write home about but portions OK 7 out of 10 , nice buzz in the place at lunchtime

Bunsen tried a fortnight ago in Temple Bar have upped their game slightly the burger has improved this year but the minimalist menu still drags it down, portions of fries still tiny , 5/6 out of 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

How is WOW burger??

going there tomorrow so curious also if anyone knows are the garlic butter fires nice or the chilli fries?

Cheers

Advertisement