Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Burgers in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

budgemook wrote:
    Going to head in there tomorrow, but that Groupon deal is so bad it's actually funny.

Yeah, it's only about a fiver saving, I used one my first visit to try it out. They could throw in a couple of cokes to pad it out. The beer is pretty cheap too btw

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

I'm surprised by all the love Bunsen gets on here. I've been dragged there three times and was very unimpressed each time. It's just an overdone meat patty stuck in a bun with a tiny portion of lukewarm fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

MarkY91 wrote: »
    What's bad about it? Is it a scam? I bought one yesterday and plan to go to the place on Saturday
    sweetie wrote: »
    Yeah, it's only about a fiver saving, I used one my first visit to try it out. They could throw in a couple of cokes to pad it out. The beer is pretty cheap too btw

First problem is that when I asked my wife what she would have, it came to 9 euro (the groupon costs 20 quid for 2). I'd probably stretch mine to 12.50 just to take advantage so we'd get a massive 1.50 off :D

Second problem is that this "deal" is only available Monday to Thursday :pac:

Looking forward to it though, I'm gone off Bunsen - out of the last 4 I got I'd say 2 of them weren't great. They aren't as consistent as they used to be (pesky brand expansion!) - so am looking forward to something different.

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    I'm surprised by all the love Bunsen gets on here. I've been dragged there three times and was very unimpressed each time. It's just an overdone meat patty stuck in a bun with a tiny portion of lukewarm fries.

I often say Bunsen is overrated due to inconsistency (although when it's good it is awesome) but overdone is not something I would ever say about it. The last one I had came out rare. They stopped allowing people to order anything under medium but any time I order medium it's usually medium rare at most. I rarely finish the fries either!

Which Bunsen have you been to? Are you sure you're not thinking of McDonald's? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

budgemook wrote: »

Which Bunsen have you been to? Are you sure you're not thinking of McDonald's? ;)

I won't hear a bad word said about McDonalds. Still the best burgers available in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    I won't hear a bad word said about McDonalds. Still the best burgers available in Ireland

I'd love to get snobby here but to be honest if I were dictator for a day my first order of business would be replacing the popcorn in cinemas with giant tubs of their chip-shaped lumps of MSG and flour. :D

I often say Bunsen is overrated due to inconsistency (although when it's good it is awesome) but overdone is not something I would ever say about it. The last one I had came out rare. They stopped allowing people to order anything under medium but any time I order medium it's usually medium rare at most. I rarely finish the fries either!

I was actually going to compare it to McDonalds in my original post! Wexford Street twice and Temple Bar once. The first time it wasn't too bad - just not amazing. The other two times it was terrible and I resented paying for my food.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I haven't read through all your suggestions but have to say that Block Burger is the best burger I have tasted in Ireland. I love my food and meat and the burger is just fab.. chips are lovely too. They have a place in East Wall business park.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Uncle_moe wrote: »

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

First problem is that when I asked my wife what she would have, it came to 9 euro (the groupon costs 20 quid for 2). I'd probably stretch mine to 12.50 just to take advantage so we'd get a massive 1.50 off :D

Second problem is that this "deal" is only available Monday to Thursday :pac:

Looking forward to it though, I'm gone off Bunsen - out of the last 4 I got I'd say 2 of them weren't great. They aren't as consistent as they used to be (pesky brand expansion!) - so am looking forward to something different.

AHH I didn't see that in the fine print. I can refund vouchers in Groupon right? Thanks for letting me know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

If you have to be dragged to a burger joint then you're probably in the wrong thread. :)
    I'd happily go to any if asked. Except rockets by rockets.

accensi0n wrote: »
    If you have to be dragged to a burger joint then you're probably in the wrong thread. :)

If you knew me you'd know that couldn't be further from the truth. I LOVE burgers. Burgers and donuts I couldn't live without. But a cr*p burger isn't better than no burger. Do it properly or don't do it at all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

AryaStark wrote: »
    I haven't read through all your suggestions but have to say that Block Burger is the best burger I have tasted in Ireland. I love my food and meat and the burger is just fab.. chips are lovely too. They have a place in East Wall business park.

Agreed, definitely my favourite, over bunsen or the counter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You can ask in Bunsen for your burger to be done rare. The server will give you some spiel about them not being allowed to cook it rare but then in the kitchen there is a wink and a nod and it arrives to your table cooked rare. At least that is always the way it has happened for me. Plus if I got lukewarm fries in any place I would be sending them back, theres no point paying for stuff you are not happy with imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

What on earth do people order burgers rare in the first place?

Bulls..t faux hardman stuff in my view.

Mince is not steak and should be cooked properly; there is no loss of taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Muahahaha wrote: »
    You can ask in Bunsen for your burger to be done rare. The server will give you some spiel about them not being allowed to cook it rare but then in the kitchen there is a wink and a nod and it arrives to your table cooked rare. At least that is always the way it has happened for me. Plus if I got lukewarm fries in any place I would be sending them back, theres no point paying for stuff you are not happy with imo.

Yep. Every time I’ve been in Bunsen they’ve asked me how I want the burger done and yes they do the spiel about rare. So next time you are there specify how you want it cooked.
    As for the fries, you should have sent them back if you weren’t happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mince can be a lot of different things and in any decent burger joint part of the recipe will be some kind of steak mince.

Because they like a burger rare and tender on the inside but totally blitzed and charred on the outside, tis a great combo of flavours in your mouth.Try it sometime man, you might actually like it ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Zascar wrote: »
    Agreed, definitely my favourite, over bunsen or the counter etc.

I’m a fan of theirs too, mostly via collection. Pity they are out of the way and hard to find.

Muahahaha wrote: »

Mince can be a lot of different things and in any decent burger joint part of the recipe will be some kind of steak mince.

Because they like a burger rare and tender on the inside but totally blitzed and charred on the outside, tis a great combo of flavours in your mouth.Try it sometime man, you might actually like it ;)

I wouldn’t for hygiene reasons.

There’s a reason that the authorities don’t want mince served rare.

Places like Bunsen get a derogation because the mince their beef onsite sameday, but rare mine is still dangerous.

So it’s well done Bunsen burgers for me, thanks...which are bloody delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

If anywhere is serving burgers rare they will be closed soon. Its illegal.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »

Not if you mince the beef onsite and that day.

Pretty sure it's still against the rules. Why would Bunsen have stopped allowing it otherwise.

First Up wrote: »

And can scientifically prove and guarantee the entire supply chain from abbatoir to plate.

My logic, in any event, is that cooking meat thoroughly tends to get rid of most nasty stuff; so why eat rare mince?

My logic, in any event, is that cooking meat thoroughly tends to get rid of most nasty stuff; so why eat rare mince?

That's why its illegal. Minimum 70C (its 75C in the US.)

Mr.S wrote: »
    By that logic, why eat steak rare?

Rare burgers are nicer IMO, but it's all down to taste obviously.

This again.

The "nasty stuff" is only on the outside. Mincing the meat mixes it around so it's dangerous to eat it undercooked.

I don't mind rare mince btw, but the logic for cooking it through is sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Rare burgers are nicer IMO, but it's all down to taste obviously.

Steak is still the whole muscle. The bacteria festers on the outside of it therefore when you cook the outside but leave it rare (leave the middle red) it's not dangerous whereas with mince the bacteria can fester everywhere, including the middle of the burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Again, down to personal taste no?

I take little head to the dangers of undercooking mince tbh, never had a problem with it over all the years. Sure look at the French, still standing ;)

As others have said, all the main places in town will oblige if you ask!

But that's not what you said above you likened mince coked rare to rare cooked steak. Both entirely different. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Imagine the Spanish not cooking a burger pink, it's a stupid Irish thing and why we are mostly peasants at cooking. British too.

Even the yanks do pink burgers

Advertisement