Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Burgers in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

budgemook wrote: »
    I often say Bunsen is overrated due to inconsistency (although when it's good it is awesome) but overdone is not something I would ever say about it. The last one I had came out rare. They stopped allowing people to order anything under medium but any time I order medium it's usually medium rare at most. I rarely finish the fries either!

Which Bunsen have you been to? Are you sure you're not thinking of McDonald's? ;)

Wow, you sound nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

RasTa wrote: »
    Imagine the Spanish not cooking a burger pink, it's a stupid Irish thing and why we are mostly peasants at cooking. British too.

Even the yanks do pink burgers
    No they don't. US Health and Safety requires burgers to be cooked hotter than here.

You are confusing burgers from mince with whole meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

First Up wrote: »
    No they don't. US Health and Safety requires burgers to be cooked hotter than here.

I always get burgers served medium rare when I'm in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Mince can be a lot of different things and in any decent burger joint part of the recipe will be some kind of steak mince.

Because they like a burger rare and tender on the inside but totally blitzed and charred on the outside, tis a great combo of flavours in your mouth.Try it sometime man, you might actually like it ;)

Ecoli is lovely all right.

Galadriel wrote: »

I always get burgers served medium rare when I'm in the US.
    They are not rare. They may be pink inside but they will have been cooked to the required temperature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

As soon as meat is minced, any bacteria on its outside is aerated and mixed through the entirety of the meat. It then starts to turn which is why meat lasts far longer than mince. The longer the mince is left, the more lethal it becomes. That’s why places like Bunsen have discretion in terms of how they can cook burgers; basically because they mince their own meat onsite and daily. Cooking the mince thoroughly negates the risk of being poisoned. Personally the attraction of a mildly tastier burger pales in significance against the prospect of the scuts and possible death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No i'm not, it's minced beef.

Below is ramsay's place in Vegas. as I said it's only an Irish and UK thing. Look at steak tartare, delicious and safe.

farm-burger-at-gordon-ramsay-burgr.jpg

No i'm not, it's minced beef.

Below is ramsay's place in Vegas. as I said it's only an Irish and UK thing. Look at steak tartare, delicious and safe.

Colour is not the only (or most reliable) measure.

Burgers in the US must reach an internal temperature of 160F. That was upped from 140 a few years back after an EColi outbreak that killed some people.

Your burger may be pink but it is not rare.

Colour is not the only (or most reliable) measure.

Burgers in the US must reach an internal temperature of 160F. That was upped from 140 a few years back after an EColi outbreak that killed some people.

Your burger may be pink but it is not rare.

That's 71c. No chance burger pictured is that temp. I cook my chickens to 65c or 149f

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Regarding steak tartar, is that not minced on the spot?

The rules are there to prevent worst case scenario, you'll be grand most of the time.

• Advertisement

Looks rotten / dyed with something. But then again, never was a fan of people like Gordan Ramsay

And as for claiming that only people in the UK and Ireland are wary of eating under cooked minced meat and avoiding ecoli . . . well good look eating under cooked minced meat in lots of other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

That looks closer to red cabbage coleslaw

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brandon F

sweetie wrote: »
    On the pig's back eatery, Capel st beside the black sheep pub do a great burger. I've tried two, 6oz patty, loadsa onions (cooked) with gouda and the bacon, cheese and ballymaloe, both excellent and their sweet potato fries are savage and a very big serving. Currently have an offer on groupon too.

Went here last night. Would definitely go again. I had to be rolled out of the place!

Just out of on the pigs back - it's great, really tasty burger and wings. The chips were super salty so I'd probably ask for no salt next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did you get the Groupon deal? What was it 2 x burgers and fries for 20 euro?

Mr.S wrote: »
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    But that's not what you said above you likened mince coked rare to rare cooked steak. Both entirely different. :confused:

Apologies - i'm not a chef so maybe a bad comparison.

Either way, I like me some rare burgers :(

If there is a big health concern for undercooked mince, how does steak tartare do so well in France / Belgium? Assuming they have higher quality control of meat is it?
    Steak Tartare can be risky but it is always made from fresh (high quality) meat, whereas burgers rarely are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

HUGE Tartare fan, La Maison does one of the best, isn't it also the use of lemon juice? usually in the restaurants they will cut the steak their and then to shred and mixed with lemon juice to kill that bacteria as well as sometimes use of boiling water its an exact science thou so not something id try at home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Steak Tartare can be risky but it is always made from fresh (high quality) meat, whereas burgers rarely are.

a fresh steak is a fresh steak no matter the cut, burgers just use cheaper cuts doesn't make them more germ riden as long as recently minced

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did you get the Groupon deal? What was it 2 x burgers and fries for 20 euro?

That's only Monday to Thursday. Anyway, my wife got cheese burger and fries which comes to 9 euro so I'd only get the Groupon if you knew you were getting the expensive burger and fries. We had 2 burgers, 1 fries, 1 chicken wings, a beer and bottle of water and it cost 30 euro - good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭pj12332

The station bar and restaurant tallaght. By far the nicest burger I've ever ever had. Couldn't believe it haha. Only a few weeks ago too.

• Advertisement

manafana wrote: »

a fresh steak is a fresh steak no matter the cut, burgers just use cheaper cuts doesn't make them more germ riden as long as recently minced
    Rarely fresh.

What do you mean by fresh anyway? Sure isn't the good stuff dry aged.

What do you mean by fresh anyway? Sure isn't the good stuff dry aged.

In commercial usage, mince is produced from leftovers. That's why its cheap.

I've eaten my share of burgers and will do again but I'll have them well cooked please.

If I want prime beef I'll ask (and pay) for it.

Anyway all this fighting about how well done a burger should be

The real question is . . . what is the general consensus of the thread, what places in Dublin do the best burgers ?

I've eaten my share of burgers and will do again but I'll have them well cooked please.

Huh? Proper burgers are minced using different cuts such as brisket, short rib etc for 20% fat.

Huh? Proper burgers are minced using different cuts such as brisket, short rib etc for 20% fat.

Then only buy the ones labelled "proper".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

budgemook wrote:
    Just out of on the pigs back - it's great, really tasty burger and wings. The chips were super salty so I'd probably ask for no salt next time.

Glad you liked it. The shakes look great too. I've only tried the sweet potato fries but will remember that about the regular ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Just had my 5th chilli shack (twice eating in, 3 times delivered) it's amazing. Surely they're gonna expand to the city centre at Some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,772 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Fresh steak, mother of god :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mr.S wrote: »
    By that logic, why eat steak rare?
    This again.

The "nasty stuff" is only on the outside.
    Not necessarily. There are no laws about labelling beef here about tenderisation. In other countries they have do declare the tenderisation techniques if they effect the meat internally, as it is potentially pushing bacteria deep into the meat. See the "blade tenderized" labels on these.

2014-10-02.jpg

IMG_2905-1024.jpg

tenderizedmeat2_custom-949f4ddbfc4f2cb411923f9296e69966fe69d995-s900-c85.jpg

I have no idea how common it is here.

from 1993 in the Uk
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/are-you-a-soft-touch-for-tender-meat-butchers-are-falling-for-the-tenderiser-but-consumers-shouldnt-1465360.html
    When meat is tender, consumers take it as sign of quality. Is such faith justified? In butcher's shops all over Britain, tenderising machines are being used to circumvent the time- consuming tradition of hanging meat.
    Meat that has been artificially tenderised can be put on sale without any legal obligation to inform customers. 'Fork tender' steak may indeed be a patiently matured piece of prime meat; but it may instead be an inferior cut - and the consumer will be none the wiser.

Advertisement