Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 from amazon.de

Options
  • 10-08-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to get the Galaxy Ace 2. I am trying to purchase an unlocked one since Vodafone here don't carry it. I looked at a few sites such as expansys etc and the cheapest I can find it is amazon.de

http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Smartphone-Touchscreen-Megapixel-onyx-black/dp/B007UOXRS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344616310&sr=8-1

I never ordered from amazon.de before so just wondering would there be any problem with the phone working on an Irish SIM and it would it still have English language.

I have Google Translate on my browser so can't see the words "SIM free" "unlocked", anyone know for sure it is here?

Also, is the NFC option worthwhile in Ireland yet?

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭henke

Anyone any info on this before I go and order and it turns out to be horribly wrong? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭GIMP

Hi I purchased a Htc recently, no issues, phone was sim free, had english but had to select Germany/Switzerland/Austria which is no issue. Delivery in 2 days to Ireland and returns for any are very easy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

henke, no issues, apart from two small ones..

1. The default language will probably be German, *but*, the very first option when starting up your phone for the first time (or after a wipe), will be.. to change the language to whatever you want. It is a fairly obvious option on the menu. Nothing else is offered, so.. you can't go wrong.

2. The power plug will most likely be a European two pin, but you can use it with a shaver adaptor, or go and use any micro USB charger, as the connector on the phone is a bog standard micro USB.

(below is what was sent to me ordering a Samsung phone from Amazon.de)

samsungeurocharger.jpg

Delivery charge with Amazon.de is around €12-16 euro for the cheapest delivery method. Higher cost for shorter wait time and\or a specific courier choice.

On a personal note, have a good browse on YouTube for reviews of that particular phone. Samsung have been delivering, nice, feature balanced phones, at a keen price.. but at the expense of the screen quality. The viewing angles on the Dual SIM Ace, for instance, sold to the Indian market ,is very very limited and quite dull.

So.. have a good browse of reviews before deciding.

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered it. I think this phone suits me as it has decent specs but cant justify the need for me to have top end phone like an s3.

I expected the issue with the plug but not worried because there is a few of them chargers lying about the house. My main worry was what the hell German for "SIM free" was.

The phone was way cheaper than listed in other places ie. Amazon UK had it for about €20 dearer without NFC and amazon.de were about €20 or so less for the phone without NFC so thats a 40 difference for the same phone. Amazon UK didn't seem to offer the model with NFC. I'm not even sure if the NFC was worth it but at least I have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Could you keep us updated when you get it? I want exactly the same phone and would like to know how you get on. I'm on Vodafone and it seems to be Meteor exclusive at the moment.

• Advertisement

Could you keep us updated when you get it? I want exactly the same phone and would like to know how you get on. I'm on Vodafone and it seems to be Meteor exclusive at the moment.

No problem. I'm on vodafone too which is why I got it. They have the Ace plus for sale but it seems less of a phone for me and overpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Exactly, there's so many variations but the Ace 2 seems to be the best phone in its price range.

Hi, just to let you know I got last Wed or Thurs. Was very quick delivery. All is perfect so far. Just insert Vodafone SIM and select English as the language. I'm getting used to the phone now and am very happy with it. It comes with a European two pin charger but a charger is not hard to find and you can also charge it off the USB cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gbro800

Good tip Henke, another major disadvantage about Amozon UK is they don´t sell their Smansung phones directly, its via third party and I don´t those companies deliver to Ireland. Would anyone know if the charger from a Samsung Mini do for the Ace 2?

gbro800 wrote: »
    Good tip Henke, another major disadvantage about Amozon UK is they don´t sell their Smansung phones directly, its via third party and I don´t those companies deliver to Ireland. Would anyone know if the charger from a Samsung Mini do for the Ace 2?

Yeah it will fit. It is the same micro usb charger. Most phones have them now eg. Blackberry, Nokia chargers there all the same on modern phones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement