Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCSI

Options
  • 10-08-2012 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Guys

I'm starting first med in rcsi in a little over a month :-). I can't wait to get started. It's the 5 year programme. I have a health sciences related degree already so i think i have a good basic knowledge to start with anyway. But my question is mainly when do the clinical years start in the medical degree. I'm guessing its from third years onwards. I'd be really grateful if any current rcsi students could share their experiences of studying there aswell. Just wanted to ask how are clinical skills assessed also ? Would it be a doctor from the team you're working under during a specific placement ? Thanks for any information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Clinical skills are taught from 2nd year onwards (I think, when I was in 1st year we were taught clinical skills in tutorials every 4-6 weeks and had an OSCE at the end of the year, but I think that's been changed to 2nd year now). You'll spend 1st year and the 1st semester of 2nd year in RCSI in Stephen's Green, and the 2nd semester of 2nd year and first semester of 3rd year in Beaumont as all of your lecturers will be practising clinicians. Throughout your time in Beaumont you also have ward tutorials where you're taken to see patients and you practice your history taking/clinical skills with a tutor. You have another OSCE at the end of 2nd year. During semester 2 in 3rd year you have an opportunity to do a Student Selected Component, which is a research project of your choosing. They arrange various topics which are on a first-come-first-served basis and you pick them online, or you can try and arrange your own external one if you like, although that has to be approved by the college. You then have 12 weeks of clinical placement in various hospitals where you start to hone your history-taking and clinical skills. The vast majority of the marks for the end of 3rd year are for your end of year history-taking and clinical skills OSCES, with some marks going for your SSC, attendance and two short MCQs you take.

In terms of how your assessed, it's not neccessarily by a doctor whose team you were on, they find whatever doctors they can for 1st and 2nd year, and in our 3rd year OSCE (as it counted for almost the whole semester) we were all examined by consultants.

Advertisement