Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ligue 1 2012/2013

• 10-08-2012 6:18pm
    Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭

This thread could fall flat but with it being shown on ESPN, perhaps a fair few others here will watch it from time to time, especially after PSG's incredible summer of spending. Hopefully the big games will live up to last season as there were many high scoring games.

* The champions Montpeiller face Toulouse in the season opener tonight at 7.45. *

Giroud will be a big loss for the season ahead for MontpellIer , Charbonnier was brought in from Angers to be his direct replacement. Also, and for me their best bit of business was the signing of Mournier who's a talented wing forward. Their two gems still remain at the club in club captain Mbiwa and the creative force that is Belhanda. Belhanda won't be playing tonight as he is injured afaik which is very disappointing as he was a big reason why I followed their progress last season, betting aside.

Toulouse, meh. Probably another season of mid table mediocrity they look set for. Moussa Sissoko is their main player and if you didn't already know, is the one to watch. Really needs a move away from Toulouse IMO.

Lyon and Marseille will be especially interesting this season, as both had very poor seasons last season in the league, even if the latter did fairly alright in the Champions League considering the circumstances and won the League Cup they were in the relegation spots at one point midway during the season.

Lyon have had a bit of a clear out but with no players coming in, instead relying on their bringing through youth from their famed academy. Marseille on the other hand have brought in just the one player with no players leaving, the big news with them over the simmer was their coach Deschamps left to coach the French national team.

Bordeaux really experienced two very contrasting halves to last season. Uninspiring and lackluster for the first half, and fluid, all out attacking for the second half. Things really clicked for them and perhaps they can push for the top 3 this season. I'm not entirely sure, but we'll see.

Lille have lost Ligue 1 player of last season, Hazard. The biggest loss to any of the clubs wanting to challenge for the league in my eyes. Rudi Garcia still remains there which is a plus as I kinda half thought he'd be off in the summer if a reasonably big club came calling back home, Valencia is the one I initially had in mind. Despite the loss of Hazard, Lille have been one of the more busier teams and have done alright. Highly rated French youngster Marvin Martin was signed and is certainly one to look out for. Steeve Elana from what I've heard and the little I saw of him last season was exceptional and many people's goalkeeper of the year in France. Kalou went the opposite way of Hazard, bit of a meh signing really but a move away from Chelsea might be the thing he needed.

Lastly it's some club from Paris. Signed some Brazilian CB, a ponytailed Swede and an Argentine called Ezquiel. These plucky underdogs could surprise a few this coming season!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

-Ade- wrote: »
    Highly rated French youngster Marvin Martin was signed

Great signing, he's a very good playmaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Planning to watch a bit more of Ligue 1 this year alright. the antics of PSG will make it all the more interesting, as we've seen in the past that trying to buy success doesn't always work. Hard to see past them though in fairness at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

An absolute assist machine by all accounts. Think Arsenal were heavily linked with him last summer as well.

Also, anyone want a small wager on Ibra's final goal tally in the league? I'm gonna start small (very small) and say, fiver that he will get 23+ (yes I know its an odd number :p)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Knex. wrote: »
    An absolute assist machine by all accounts. Think Arsenal were heavily linked with him last summer as well.

Also, anyone want a small wager on Ibra's final goal tally in the league? I'm gonna start small (very small) and say, fiver that he will get 23+ (yes I know its an odd number :p)

Very intelligent footballer, outside of PSG's signings, Martin is certainly the one I'm looking most forward to and seeing how he progresses.

I'll go with 28 goals for Ibra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

This thread could fall flat but with it being shown on ESPN

Nice prediction, technical fault in Montpellier match :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thought it was just my stream .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Nice finish .

Twas a nice finish alright from Camara. Deserved lead.

Was saying about 10 mins into the match on Twitter that Camara first goal scorer interested me :pac:

Saihi sent off for a high boot.

Ligue 1 is truly back. Toulouse score and then get a red card themselves :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Pleasantly surprised to see the French league is on ESPN this year.

Third red card, Toulouse down to 9 men.

Ah Mbiwa, awful playacting :o

Crazy start to Ligue 1 as per usual it seems! PSG last season, Marseille the season before that and now the champions Montpeiller faltering on the opening day with a goal a piece and three red cards.

Sounds like a game well worth checking out when I get home!

Belhanda injured or just not included?

Sounds like a game well worth checking out when I get home!

Belhanda injured or just not included?

Injured unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Definitely going to try and catch some Ligue 1 this season.

PSG against Lorient is on ESPN tonight at 8pm. Really looking forward to seeing how Ibra does, he should absolutely tear that league to shreds.

I'd like to see Steed Malbranque get picked up by Lyon, he's been training with them for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just watched the opener this morning. Felt a sudden urge to shout "Head shot" when Saihi got sent off.

Interested to seeing how PSG get on. Have a feeling a fair few defenders are gonna get completely bullied by Zlatan.

PSG should win comfortably but Lorient are their bogey team over the last number of years, winning on five of their last eight league visits to Parc des Princes. Don't think I'll be able to see the game tonight so will have to Sky + it.

Alain Traore is a name to look out for for Lorient. Was far too talented to stay with Auxerre in Ligue 2 after relegation last season. Was very surprised to see a bigger club not come in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

PSG down 0-1 at home
    looking dangerous though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ball was in the net for a second only for an offside :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Fair play Ade for creating the thread. I was thinking about starting one myself. Watched a fair bit of the French league last season.

That was a fantastic save from Douchez for the free. Swore it was in!

This makes me so fu*king happy.

I love this game.

PSG 0-2 Lorient at HT.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    This makes me so fu*king happy.

I love this game.

PSG 0-2 Lorient at HT.

Great goal but the defending was simply comical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

What a touch by Ibra!

Come on Lorient!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Ibra has been class in fairness.

Ibra 2-1

Ìbra and Lavezzi with a quality link up. Menez wastes the chance again!

Crap sub from Carlo, Menez should of gone off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Almost 2-2, offside Ibra

How is it still 2-1!?

Nene is such a waster

Oh boooo :(

I'll go with 28 goals for Ibra.

26 left :D

What a second half this has been.

Ibra (Peno) 2-2

Pedretti comes of the bench with 2 minutes to go and wins the game for Lille 2-1!

• Advertisement

26 left :D

What a second half this has been.

Gonna watch it in a little bit, but nice to hear that PSG are still Lorient's bitch :P Equally chuffed about Ibra's debut.

Seems like there were some cracking games across matchday 1, couple 3-2 games, Lille winning in the last minute and Gourcuff scoring the winner for Lyon!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Interesting opening weekend in Ligue 1, some good games.

I think PSG looked pretty good going forward and created plenty of chances. I can't see past them winning it this year.

Just a bit of a heads up for anyone wanting to keep up to date with Ligue 1. The league now has it's own Youtube channel that show individual match highlights, top goals and maybe a few other bits n bobs in the future. All of which is presented in English. Might be worth subbing to the channel or bookmarking it.

Good game on atm between Lille and Nancy.

Kalou completely messed up a 1 vs 1 chance, Nancy scored against the run of play soon after with a good finish from distance and then Kalou scored a fine header to equalise. Martin with the assist ;)

Lille's new stadium is quite nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Watching the Lille game atm. Whats was going on with the drinks break ? Is it a french thing or just something new?

• Advertisement

marvsins wrote: »
    Watching the Lille game atm. Whats was going on with the drinks break ? Is it a french thing or just something new?

It's very humid is all, even at this time of day.

Lille supporters seem a rowdy bunch. I'll be keeping an eye them a fair bit I'd imagine over the season.

They played some decent stuff in the first half Lille and got caught with a sucker punch out of nothing. Well taken goal mind, as was Kalou's equaliser. Was a real slow motion moment. Superb header.

Second half was a bit crap. Far too many stoppages that disrupted the flow of the game. Thought Nancy looked good from set pieces. Lille were scrambling a fair bit at times.

If only Kalou hadn't scuppered that one on one chance in the first half I could have had a bit of optimism for today's games. *rips up coupon*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Delighted to see that so many watch Ligue 1 or are going to this season.

marvsins wrote: »
    It's very humid is all, even at this time of day.

I think it's a FIFA rule now, if the temperature is over x amount then the ref can stop the game once in each half for a water break.

I think it's a FIFA rule now, if the temperature is over x amount then the ref can stop the game once in each half for a water break.

I noticed aswell that the clock stops when they take the break too. Well, it did in the first half on Friday night's game. Don't recall it stopping in the second though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

What a criminal penalty decision by the referee in the Bordeaux Rennes match.:eek:

PSG are hilarious. Lavezzi sent off earlier. Ancelotti sent to the stands as I type.

0-0 away to Ajaccio, 10 mins left.

Lights have gone out now too. I'm watching on Al Jazeera and they lost TV pictures too a few seconds after the light failure..might be a coincidence or there has been a massive power outage :D

The lights have gone out, literally lol.

Lights have gone out now too. I'm watching on Al Jazeera and they lost TV pictures too a few seconds after the light failure..might be a coincidence or there has been a massive power outage :D

The PSG Dark Forces are at work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement