Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Mahony looking to move to West Galway constituency

Options
  • 10-08-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Looks like John O'Mahony is feeling the heat with the constituency changes, seeing Mayo moving to 4 seats. Ain't no way FG can pull off 4 seats here and Jonno gonna bite the bullet and move to Galway. As a former manager of the Galway team he has a base there. Tough ask and the Galway blue shirters ain't happy with this. I'm sure MM will send him off in style to Galway West :D:D:D

From here and here

Will Mayo be plain sailing for the other 3 FG candidates at the next election?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

He'll struggle to get in again. I'm open to being proven wrong, but have we heard his bring up a single issue in the Dail? Or even give a speech once on any matter?

I'm not sure why the people voted for him (other than his being a face they recognise on the ballot paper). I know him from my school days in St. Nathy's. He's not an intelligent man or even a great speaker. He struggled to teach second years Geography, most students struggled when taught by him as he had zero interest. Pig ignorance has got him where he is, hence the Nathy's nickname "Savage". It just proves Irish politics is a popularity contest, no education or experience necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    He'll struggle to get in again. I'm open to being proven wrong, but have we heard his bring up a single issue in the Dail? Or even give a speech once on any matter?

Not sure if he raised it during the Dail sitting but he's a little more vocal than hitherfore. From here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I have met him only since he became a TD, so i don't know anything about his performance as a teacher. I have heard him speak at some meetings. He seemed to know what he was talking about.

He has a difficult decision to make. FG will get only a proportion of the votes being transferred to GW. If total population of area moving is 10,000 approx, that means around 6000 votes. FG got a good vote in that area, but part of this is personal to Ml Ring.

Patsy O'Brien for FG got a good vote there in the LE. Depends on how many of these he can get to vote for O'Mahoney.

O'Cuiv is close to that area, and will get many votes there.

As to what votes O'Mahoney can get it GW thru the GAA - a good GAA record has always been a vote-getter, Viz Henry Kenny ( All Ireland Team of 1936 ) Sean Flanagan ( All Ireland winning captain 51,50 ) As electorates grow more choosy and demanding, wiil his GAA connection pull in enough votes to elect him?

Will Higgins move aside to give him a shot at Europe.?

Decisions, decisions

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

http://www.kildarestreet.com/td/john_o%27mahony/mayo

How does one suddenly go from being a geography teacher to a member of a committee on Communications, Natural Resources and Agriculture (I could understand if it was Transport, Tourism and Sport as his background is sport). What the fcuk does he know about communications? We're electing the wrong people, for the wrong reasons.

• Advertisement

PMTh, I don't think anyone is elected to An Dáil solely or even partly for their expertise on any particular topic.

The fact that he qualified as a secondary teacher shows some academic ability. However imho a good dose of commonsense is more useful to a politician.

One of the more effective Taoisigh we have had, Seán Lemass, once remarked that a Dáil composed solely of university graduates would be disaster ( or words to that effect )

nuac wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is elected to An Dáil solely or even partly for their expertise on any particular topic.

That's exactly what's wrong with the farcical popularity contest we call Irish politics.

That's exactly what's wrong with the farcical popularity contest we call Irish politics.

It's democracy.

Of course I would like to see a candidate slate made up of people as wise, as highly qualified, as gifted, as experienced as myself - but so far I have been looking in vain.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Think O'Mahony is frigged no matter where he runs. But stands a better chance in Galway West than in Mayo which says a lot for him.

Advertisement