Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with some questions

• 10-08-2012 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if someone could help me out with a few questions. Thanks s mil in advance for help

1a. Name 2 substances needed to produce thyroxine

Ans: amino acid and iodine

1b what hormone causes thyroxine to be produced?

1c where is the hormone you have named produced?

2 People with this condition often carry a sugar sweet or some chocolate. Explain why this is so?

Ans: energy?
    1d under what condition is the named hormone made?

1e what normall prevents the production of the named hormone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

First of all, Q1 and Q2 are talking about two different hormones? Right? It's a bit confusing - Q2 seems to lead on from 1c but it obviously cannot.
    1b what hormone causes thyroxine to be produced?
    Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)
    1c where is the hormone you have named produced?
    Pituitary gland (anterior)
    2 People with this condition often carry a sugar sweet or some chocolate. Explain why this is so?
    OK, I assume the question is referring to diabetics? Sweets are often carried in case of hypoglycaemia, low blood sugar.
    1d under what condition is the named hormone made?
    Insulin is the named hormone right? It is released by the pancreas in response to high blood glucose levels
    1e what normall prevents the production of the named hormone?
    Low blood sugar levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Anyusername

Sorry the named hormone is TSH. Was on phone typing so was an error.

1d.

1e Is it if Thyroxine concentration is normal, it inhibits the pituitary gland from releasing thyroid stimulating hormone, as no further thyroxine is made?

Thanks

Sorry the named hormone is TSH. Was on phone typing so was an error.

1d.

1e Is it if Thyroxine concentration is normal, it inhibits the pituitary gland from releasing thyroid stimulating hormone, as no further thyroxine is made?

Thanks
    Ah, that makes sense. I didn't notice the numbering of the questions. Ignore my previous answers for 1d and e.

Yes, it acts as a sort of negative feedback loop. Normal circulating levels of thyroxine (T4) and T3 inhibit the production of TRH (in the hypothalamus) and TSH (pituitary)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Anyusername

Thanks no probs. what would 1d be?

Pretty much the opposite of 1e I would say.

Low circulating levels trigger the production of TRH, thyrotropin releasing hormone (or rather do not inhibit) in the hypothalamus, which in turn enhances production of TSH in the pituitary gland.

It should also be noted that T3, triiodothyronine and T4, thyroxine aren't the only hormones that can lower TSH production in the pituitary gland. Other inhibitory hormones, e.g somataostatin also have similar effects.

It's been a while since I've done any endocrinology so hopefully these answers aren't too rusty. Enough to get you started anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement