Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for good hiking routes I can reach from Dublin by public transport

Options
  • 10-08-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey guys!

I'm looking for hikes around Dublin that I can easily reach by public transport. I think I've covered the basics: Howth, Bray-Greystones, Sugarloaf. I want to discover some more walks now, but I do need to get there by public transport.

Currently I'm looking at Three Rock Mountain. Here's a post on the Wicklow Region boards where I'm sharing some of my research, but that subforum doesn't seem to see too much activity: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056723353

So I'm not married to the Three Rock Mountain idea. Any reasonably scenic hike that is reachable by bus is cool. Any ideas/pointers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

A good one day hike is St Kevins Way, accessible by Dublin Bus to Blessington or Ballymore Eustace, report here, you can do a shorter version from Valleymount, bus back from Glendalough is about €13 though.

Dublin Mountains Way is accessible at both ends by public transport and to an extent in the middle near Ballyboden. If you want a short version take the Luas to Brides Glen (or DART to Shankill) and walk to around 3 Rock, then down towards Sandyford to get public transport home. Or bus/Luas to Tallaght or Kiltipper and walk to Cruagh Woods, then down towards Ballyboden.

Wicklow Way is accessible by public transport at the Dublin end and you can get to public transport at points along the route, hostels en route as wel if you don't fancy taking a tent.

Nice walk along the Dodder as well if you feel like it, tarmac all the way and plenty of shops, pubs etc so no need to carry anything. Interesting history and a lot of interesting wildlife for a city river. A good starting point is at the weir beside the M50, goes all the way to the sea at Ringsend. Loads of access with public transport.

It's a bit bizarre that Bus Eireann don't service a circular route through the Wicklow Mountains on a Saturday or Sunday during the summer months but I suppose that's a well worn discussion by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bijapos wrote: »
    It's a bit bizarre that Bus Eireann don't service a circular route through the Wicklow Mountains on a Saturday or Sunday during the summer months but I suppose that's a well worn discussion by now.
    There was a bus called the Dublin Mountaineer that did just that through the Dublin Mountains, starting at Sandyford LUAS stop, but it died a death, presumably due to lack of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

The following threads cover bus access to the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains:

Access to the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains by bus. You might want to double check some of the relevant details as there have been a lot of changes to Dublin Bus as part of the Network Direct cutbacks review in recent months.

Bus route to take to the mountains. (Note: the Dublin Mountaineer bus mentioned in this thread has been discontinued but other public transport options are discussed.)

Regarding the specifics of getting to Three Rock, you can either get the 44B and get of at the Blue Light Pub in Barnacullia or get either the 44 or the 47 to Stepaside and walk to Barnacullia via the Fernhill Tunnel. This EveryTrail trip provides details of the route to use.

Currently I'm looking at Three Rock Mountain. Here's a post on the Wicklow Region boards where I'm sharing some of my research, but that subforum doesn't seem to see too much activity: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056723353

So I'm not married to the Three Rock Mountain idea. Any reasonably scenic hike that is reachable by bus is cool. Any ideas/pointers?
    Looking at the PDF map of that route on the Coillte website I can see a couple of possible access points from the 44B bus stops.

For example, there are a couple of tracks that lead up to that general area either side of the Blue Light pub, and there's a bus stop just outside the pub itself. Handy for a quick pint after the walk too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Alun wrote: »
    There was a bus called the Dublin Mountaineer that did just that through the Dublin Mountains, starting at Sandyford LUAS stop, but it died a death, presumably due to lack of use.

I was thinking more of a Bus Eireann route going:

Dublin
    Sally Gap
    Blessington
    Hollywood
    Wicklow Gap
    Glendalough
    Glenmalure
    Wicklow

Might be worth a try but I suppose seeing that that they can't even get a bus to stop at the crossroads near Hollywood it's futile.

• Advertisement

Actually I'm surprised St. Kevin's Bus service don't add an earlier service from Dublin, arriving at, say 10am, and a slightly later return from Glendalough, say 18.30, to make a decent whole days walk from Glendalough a possibility. They'd have to advertise it in the right places though.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Alun wrote: »
    Actually I'm surprised St. Kevin's Bus service don't add an earlier service from Dublin, arriving at, say 10am, and a slightly later return from Glendalough, say 18.30, to make a decent whole days walk from Glendalough a possibility. They'd have to advertise it in the right places though.

This. Especially given that the Kevin's bus arrives in Dublin before 9am and then presumably hangs around somewhere in the city for two and a half hours doing nothing before departure at 11.30am. I suppose the thing is that, while this would be ideal for walkers, less energetic daytrippers, who just want to see the ruins and do a short walk, would be left hanging around Glendalough for hours waiting for the bus. Fine on a good day, when you can sit out at the lakes but likely to be very miserable in bad weather. I suspect St Kevin's know their market and know 4-5 hours is the max for most daytrippers to "do" Glendalough.

I would also suspect that the existence of the St Kevin's service is one of the reasons why a "walkers bus" wouldn't fly as an idea - I am sure the daytripper market is subsidising the commuter service they provide for people in Laragh, Annamoe, Roundwood etc. - and a rival service could affect its viability. Certainly if the State (i.e. Bus Eireann) attempted it I would assume St Kevin's would object to the NTA and/or the courts on State aids grounds. The various tourbus providers might object as well.

Anyway, since we've got the crayons out, this is my proposal for a summer Wicklow Mountains sightseer/hikers service:

Bray DART station - Enniskerry - Curtlestown Wood - Cloon Wood - Glencree - Lough Bray/Kippure - Sally Gap - Lough Tay/Pier Gates - Roundwood - Laragh - Glendalough or Glenmalure (if it's possible to get a bus down that road!)

As well as serving hikers, I would see the bus dwelling for a few minutes at some of the more scenic places for 5-10 minutes (e.g Lough Tay) so tourists, who don't fancy hiking, could get out and take pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

44b timetable is as follows
    from dundrum luas station
    Monday - Friday
    06:50
    07:45
    08:45
    09:45
    15:30
    16:30
    17:30
    from glencullen
    Monday - Friday
    07:15
    08:15
    09:15
    16:00
    17:00
    18:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

also the sugarloaf is a about a 30-45 minute walk from the 145 terminus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

There is good walking and longer hikes to be had in the scalp/leadmines/tully church area. The dublin mountain way also passes through this area. This region would be accessible by the 44 bus at the scalp end and the green line luas - laughanstown stop at the other.

Plenty of other options - get a bus to Ballinteer (14, 16, 75) and walk to Enniskerry via the tree rock and knocksink woods (44 back into town). Or do the first stage of the wicklow way and then hike down into Enniskerry for the bus back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tatankbull

dogmatix wrote: »
    Or do the first stage of the wicklow way and then hike down into Enniskerry for the bus back.

I highly recommend the Wicklow Way; it's a very pleasant hike and very accessible from Dublin. Hopping on a bus out to Rathfarnham, walking from Marlay Park to Enniskerry and then getting the bus back to the city- it's handy enough. It should take you anywhere from 6 to 8 hours and there's plenty of little sights to see like cairns and megalithic tombs along the way.

http://www.wicklowway.com/trail-description/marlay-park-knockree.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The bus eireann bus133 stops at the Glenview at the foot of the Sugarloaf, its a boreen up to Calary to get up the sugarloaf proper.
    You could hike the beach from Wicklow back to Greystones. Or from Kilcoole

Don't some Dublin busses serve Ballyknockan? you are at the foot of Moanbane and not far from Mullach Cleevaun

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Another useful route is by bus 145 ( very frequent from Heuston via ( Dublin) city centre ) to Kilmacanogue, cross N11 , up Bohilla Lane, over Little Sugar Loaf,follow equestrian tracks to walls of Kilruddery Estate, cross at Windgates rd to track from Windgates Cotages to Bray Head, descend Bray Head to Bray and home by Dart-all in about thre hours. ( I know Kilruddery Estate is private property etc. but there never seems to be any obstacle placed for walkers access there.)

Don't some Dublin busses serve Ballyknockan? you are at the foot of Moanbane and not far from Mullach Cleevaun
    There are two 65's that go on to Ballyknockan after Blessington, but none of them are on a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DanielZKlein

Thank you SO MUCH to everyone that's replied, I'll be going through these as I put together a hike for this weekend. Go raibh maith agaibh!

Advertisement