Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP COMPAQ with no image to monitor..Help ?

Options
  • 10-08-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I've just been given a HP Compaq Micro tower because my boss knows nothing about computers and because no image was being displayed on the monitor he just wanted rid of it. So I tested the monitor and it worked on a different PC , then removed the offending PC. Now I'm wondering could I possibly salvage it for myself as back up or for kiddies or something. It turns on it beeps , whirs etc but just no image appears
    Any pointer would be greatly appreciated. I know this is kindergarten stuff, but if you had a spare minute...Please ? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

More than happy to help but this could be a number of things - any idea on specs?

Firstly ope it up and make sure everything is seated correctly. Just give everything a wiggle!

If there is one remove the GPU card and reinsert it. If you can take some pics and post them here for us to have a look and see if anything jumps out.

Here's a video about building PCs - it should give you some idea of what everything in the machine does and what needs wiggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dunlaffin

Thanks Procrastastudy, I'll watch that video. I'll get some photos up shortly , charging up the cam. Something tells me that it might have an integrated video card, I read it somewhere yesterday and there just seems to be so little inside by way of cards. I read somewhere that faulty RAM modules can cause it, so I tried removing each of them but no joy.

inside and out

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭number66

Just a stab in the dark, but if the computer is beeping when you turn it on there is likley a hardware fault.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Try identify the beep code

Is that the GPU? Does the monitor plug into it?

216594.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 XPOT4

looks like you have no ram (memory) .

Pretty sure they're in the black slots unless they are just spacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Look at the cooler on it GCD, its gotta be some old ATI card.

OP(Dunlaffin that you) as GCD said, pop this out and reseat it.

Also, when it boots count the beeps. If its just one thats normal on some machines, if its more, it could be a POST code(tells you wtf is going wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 XPOT4

Your right Procrastastudy just zoomed in on photo.

And one more thing, looking at the ram it is normal for ram to be placed in the ram slots in sequence, you start at slot one and work up, skipping slots can cause problems. looks to me like you got an empty slot. Ram can be tricky to install. be carefull not to push too hard on the ram as you can crack the motherboard, you should push gently down untill the white tabs start to move into position, then push the white tabs together while keeping gental downward pressure on the ram. the white tabs should click into place on the side of the ram.
    One more thing, when handling ram don't touch the pins and try earth youself before handling the ram by touching something that is earthed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Schorpio

If everything is present and correct I would try resetting the BIOS to the defaults by removing the motherboard battery for a few minutes and reinserting it.

number66 wrote: »
    And one more thing, looking at the ram it is normal for ram to be placed in the ram slots in sequence, you start at slot one and work up, skipping slots can cause problems. looks to me like you got an empty slot. Ram can be tricky to install. be carefull not to push too hard on the ram as you can crack the motherboard, you should push gently down untill the white tabs start to move into position, then push the white tabs together while keeping gental downward pressure on the ram. the white tabs should click into place on the side of the ram.
    One more thing, when handling ram don't touch the pins and try earth youself before handling the ram by touching something that is earthed.

Dual channel RAM is installed as per the photos - has been for a number of years.

XPOT4 wrote: »
    looks like you have no ram (memory) .

There are two sticks of RAM, Im pretty sure. I took them out yesterday and put them back in. Before I took them out I'm pretty sure there was a beep when i booted it up, but now it doesnt beep at all, yet I put them back in the same slots I took them from, There are 4 slots, two blue and two black , they are in the black ones, the blue ones are empty.

There is a blue "port" at the back where the monitor plugs in it seem to connect directly into the Mother Board.

Dunlaffin wrote: »
    There is a blue "port" at the back where the monitor plugs in it seem to connect directly into the Mother Board.

Ok, thats integrated graphics. Try remove the card Procrastastudy highlighted above, then booting.
    (You were connecting to the integrated chip but it was be bypassed by the dedicated card).

If this doesnt work, please post a picture of the rear of the machine.

Is that the GPU? Does the monitor plug into it?

216594.jpg

Whilst there is a white plug in that card that i think some kind of adapter can be fitted to in order to connect the monitor , the actual monitor port is furhter down and connects into the mother board.

The back of the computer.

The white port connect into that card the other ones below connect directly to the mother Board.

216599.JPG

Are there two ports that the monitor can connect to at the back of the computer? Never mind, just saw the picture. is that card a graphics card/HDMI or a firewire card?

Yep, remove the card with the white connector and you're golden!

The red card is "better" though so you should get a DVI-D to VGA adapter so you can use it, but for now, just remove the card.

• Advertisement

Anyway, remove that card, try use the motherboard's video.

It's 2 Display ports and a DVI - take that out and it should boot attached to the blue socket - as ED E says get an adapter and use that care if pos.

Post a pic of it so we can see what it is please?

OK guys I removed that card you indicated, and hey presto I have vision...but.... i get the set up menu .. press F10 for this F11 for that, so i did nothing and it went on after a minute to say :

PXE-EG1 Media test failure
    PXE-MOF Exiting PXE ROM.

Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Slected Boot Device and Pres Key.:confused:

It's 2 Display ports and a DVI - take that out and it should boot attached to the blue socket - as ED E says get an adapter and use that care if pos.

Post a pic of it so we can see what it is please?

I dont understand , so far i thought i understood that the reason it wasnt working was becasue the Card was overriding the integrated video and because the card was faulty i had nothing on screen. So it it is faulty, how can i use it ?

The card isn't faulty - it switches off the integrated video that is output to the blue (VGA) connector. If you could connect the monitor to the white (DVI) connector it would have worked from the beginning.

Dunlaffin wrote: »
    OK guys I removed that card you indicated, and hey presto I have vision...but.... i get the set up menu .. press F10 for this F11 for that, so i did nothing and it went on after a minute to say :

PXE-EG1 Media test failure
    PXE-MOF Exiting PXE ROM.

Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Slected Boot Device and Pres Key.:confused:

This sounds like the Hard Drive isn't set up to boot - you'll need to so some messing about in the BIOS to get it to see the HDD - wait and see if anyone else knows what this is on Compaqs - not something I've seen personally.

The card isn't faulty - it switches off the integrated video that is output to the blue (VGA) connector. If you could connect the monitor to the white (DVI) connector it would have worked from the beginning.

Well no I'm not so sure because it was connected to the white port through an adapter when I tested it in the office, then I took off the adapter and tested it and neither worked. The guy who was using that comp before me had it rigged with an elastic band because the actual adapter was loose, but I wiggled it and pushed it and got no picture either way, blue or white port.

Its possible it is faulty and still over riding the integrated GPU - or that the DVI port is banjaxed. If you're not sure just don't use it again.

Its possible it is faulty and still over riding the integrated GPU - or that the DVI port is banjaxed. If you're not sure just don't use it again.

Okay , Thanks so much I hope someone can get me the rest of the way. Heres a photo of the card I removed. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

216606.jpg

Advertisement