Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe motherboard temps & upgrades

Options
  • 10-08-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,

Ive been using speccy recently to have a look at my pc temperatures as i'm getting worried where my computer is sitting doesn't get much air. I've noticed that the motherboard temps seem ridiculously high. These are the readings i got today when rendering some 3d video, can my motherboard be that hot?

Operating System
    MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 58 °C
    Yorkfield 45nm Technology
    RAM
    4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Motherboard
    Foxconn G31MX Series (Socket 775) 223 °C
    Graphics
    DELL U2412M (1920x1200@59Hz)
    1024MB GeForce GT 220 (CardExpert Technology) 46 °C
    Hard Drives
    699GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD753LJ ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C
    Optical Drives
    ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-5240S ATA Device
    Audio
    High Definition Audio Device

Also can anyone make any recommendations on any upgrades to make my pc faster (without buying a new machine)

Thanks
    bloo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bloo wrote: »
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 58 °C - Ok if it wasnt total idle

Foxconn G31MX Series (Socket 775) 223 °C - Erroneous reading, simple as.

1024MB GeForce GT 220 (CardExpert Technology) 46 °C - OK

699GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD753LJ ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C - Perfect

Run Prime95 and watch the CPU temp, after fifteen mins you can stop and post the temp here. If it crashes you have a heat/stability issue.

Upgrade wise there's not a huge amount you can do. 8GB of ram might help a little, and a new GPU if you're a gamer. Other than that 775 means a new build(In the same situation myself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Is this an OEM machine - e.g. was it bought from the likes of Dell?

The best upgrade to that machine would be opening it - cleaning and cable managing it and making sure you're happy with temps.

Then a GPU upgrade if you're a gamer - Personally I'd wait for the 660ti in a few weeks and see what that does. Hopefully it might force down the price of the 7850 a bit which is probably the card I'd recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay getting back!

Cleaned it out and checked temps at idle and it seems fine, got a normal motherboard temp reading.

This was an ebuyer cheapo business pc, its pretty bare inside and neatly cabled anyway, its just a small case. I guess ill stick with it until im ready for a whole new machine. Looks like the cpu is about as fast as the board will take, and im guessing upgrading the speed of the memory wont make a huge difference. 4 gig is the max it can take.

Thanks for the help...im sure ill be asking for some advice for a new build at some point!
    cheers
    bloo

Advertisement