Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spirituality Vs. Success

• 10-08-2012 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Recently I converted to Theravada Buddhism, started meditating, reading Buddhist scripture, and practicing the religion in general. I haven't been Buddhist for very long but I've already met a potential pitfall. It seems to me that the ideals of Buddhism are diacritically opposed to being "Successful" as is defined by most of society. In fact, the ideal Buddhist life seems to be about as far from that same definition of "Success" as is possible to get. I want to be both. I want to be that successful person, but I also want to be deeply spiritually aware of myself and others. It feels to me as if the materialistic connotations of "Success" go so strongly against what Buddhism preaches :( What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

being "Successful" means different things to different people. for me its living in peace and happiness. I dont think buddhism is diacritically opposed to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I don't think buddhism is at odds with success. I'd say the thing is to not be too attached to success, cause let's face it, it will pass.

Check out the Buddhism forum, there're more knowledgeable people there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, Richard Gere is the most famous Buddhist that comes to mind and he's certainly both successful and a multi-millionaire. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

As someone who spent alot of time in their life with a striving to be succesful, and also as someone who has gotten quite deep into the fundamentals of what Buddhism and many other similar philosophies teach, I would say you may discover some shocking things about yourself.

1. One being that the thing you wanted from success was actually the same thing you can get for free , with no external influence whatsoever,be it being high up in a job, or running a succesful business, or being a rich celebrity or whatever.

2. Ironically discovering this may not actually stop you from continuing doing what you were doing that was leading to whatever potential success, because you will have no reason to stop, unless of course its actually making you unhappy.

3. You will no longer do things to build and shape a personal structure or notion of who you are or who want to BE, you may instead begin to do things because you believe they benefit you in real life, as oppose to notion you have of you.

4. This wont be a disappointing discovery, in hindsight it will actually seem really obvious and that you may have been actually lying to yourself about certain things. Id even go as far as to say you may feel relieved that you discovered this before it was too late (ie on your death bed, or even possibly not discovered it at all).

My advice is dont stop doing what you are doing, keep doing whatever it is that you want to do to make you succesful, but also practice your teachings hard and consistently,do it properly, learn the right methods and make sure it is methods that deliver results. And dont be afraid to step outside and look at what others are doing to awaken.

And then the question you have will begin to answer itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

"I wish everyone could get rich and famous and everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that's not the answer."

Jim Carrey

Love that one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - your thread may be better placed here than in PI.
    For anyone that has followed this thread from PI please take some time to review the charter here as different rules will apply.

Thanks
    Taltos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Thanks for that Taltos! I wasn't sure whether here or PI was the better place for it. :) Thanks a lot for all your replies too guys, helps a lot :D Time to meditate.

Advertisement