Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's in Kilcock??

Options
  • 10-08-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey Peeps!

I'm new to all this (so please go easy on me ;))

I am going for a job in Dublin and with all fingers and toes crossed, I am hoping I will get it. I will be leaving a town I really dislike in Co Meath (I won't name it because I do not want to offend anyone). The people are lovely, but the town is just not for me. After hours of research, I have come to the conclusion that I can afford to rent a nice two bedroomed place in Kilcock. And the commute expenses in and out of Dublin (from Kilcock) are minimal and within my budget.

However, I have been trying to research Kilcock and I can find hardly an info on it. I found this website http://ourkilcock.ie/ - but it doesn't give any information by way of amenities.... I've found out there are canoes... and a market on a Saturday.... A St Patricks day parade and Santa Claus visits every year. What shops are available there??? Don't worry, I am not looking for high street shops (although they would be convenient), but I can't find a list of grocery shops, or butchers, chemists, bakeries or anything of the sort. Can anyone enlighten me on the goings on and things to do and necessity shops that are available in Kilcock??? Also, what is the nearest 'big town'? And is there public transport to that town?

From the couple of pictures I have seen, it seems like a really beautiful and quiet place, just how I like it :)

Many thanks for all your help :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are a few restaurants and pubs and a kayaking club.
    It is outside the Dublin area for commuting which makes it quite expensive.
    Maynooth and Leixlip would have alot more in them and would be alot cheaper to commute from.
    taxsaver.ie has the ticket price info on it

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

A few pubs.
    Usual small town shops: butchers, flower shop, book shop, post office etc
    Small Tesco, Lidl opening later this year, a few Centra type shops
    A few nice cafes
    Ok Bus Eireann and rail links but as previous poster said more expensive than Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

Train station is a big plus however the Bus service is more regular, half the price and can be quicker depending on where your going.

All necessities are catered for locally.
    Bank(s)
    Several convienence stores, centra and the like.
    Petrol stations.
    Bakery.
    Restaurants
    Chemists
    Doctors
    Dentists
    Chippers
    Laundrettes.
    Barbers / Haridressers
    Pubs
    Bookies
    Butchers
    Creches
    Schools. Primary, Secondary and Gael Scoil.

Activities:
    Canoe Polo
    GAA
    Running club
    Fitness Factory
    Course fishing
    Sli na slainte
    Scouts
    Some sort of Drama society I believe?

Maynooth offers a bit more in terms of restaurants and supermarkets.
    For high street shops you'd be heading to liffey valley.

Living here 10 years so if you have any specific questions shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Kilcock is fine, I lived there for 10 years.

Regarding transport, if you want to get back from dublin after 7pm, forget it, the last train leaves Connolly at 7.05.

Maynooth is 10 minutes away by car and is on the Dublin commuter routes with trains and buses from early hours in the morning to late evening.

100% Agree.
    Don't use the tain, too expensive and slow, last time I checked there was 13 stops between Kilcock and Conolly :mad:

Bus home at 2:30, 3:30, 4:30, 4:45, 5:15, 5:30, 7:00 and 11:00.
    You don't half run for that 7:00 bus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

STForSale wrote: »
    100% Agree.
    Don't use the tain, too expensive and slow, last time I checked there was 13 stops between Kilcock and Conolly :mad:

Bus home at 2:30, 3:30, 4:30, 4:45, 5:15, 5:30, 7:00 and 11:00.
    You don't half run for that 7:00 bus!

13 stops?

Use the intercity trains! First stop maynooth and usually in Kilcock in less then 40 minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Maynooth and Leixlip would have alot more in them and would be alot cheaper to commute from.
    +1

You can forget a night out in Dublin pretty much forever if you move to Kilcock. Leixlip and Maynooth have much better (and cheaper) options and Leixlip has a very regular Nitelink on Fri/Sat nights which covers both ends of the town.

If I where renting, I'd want to be as close to work as possible too, but the OP asked about Kilcock.....

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

+ 1.

Kilcock is such a bad choice for Dublin compared to Leixlip or Maynooth. Should be easy enough to get an inexpensive apartment in either town to get the feel for the area if you want to live further out.

Advertisement