Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting a New Job

• 10-08-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24 HappyBalance2

Do you think if you start a new job, your team should take you out for lunch or invite you to lunch on the first day and if not its rude?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Thats bad form altogether, something should be arranged for your first day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Do you think if you start a new job, your team should take you out for lunch or invite you to lunch on the first day and if not its rude?

No more info than that? Come on give us something to work with. Oh and what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PinkGeekette

That's shocking bad form! In my last job in the UK, we used to have a night out for dinner and cocktails to welcome the newbies :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If your team usually go for lunch together then yes they should invite you.

However I've never worked anywhere where the whole team go to lunch together everyday, so no, they shouldn't. Why should they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Eh? Why would they? Maybe if it was a team of 4 people or a you are all migrant workers in Canada or something but its not something I have ever done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Lunch is for wimp's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Thinly veiled "I have a job thread". Well good for you OP. Hope it gets the taste of swan out of your mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

What's all this "team" business?? What do you all work at?!
    It's all too lovey dovey American teamwork high-five shíte for me. Any job I've ever had was always every man for himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Dean09 wrote: »
    It's all too lovey dovey American teamwork high-five shíte for me. Any job I've ever had was always every man for himself!

Me too, I always ate my lunch alone in the jacks, crying. Like a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

sgb wrote: »
    Lunch is for wimp's
    The last time I had lunch with anyone it was out of an E.T. lunchbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Me too, I always ate my lunch alone in the jacks, crying. Like a man.

Proper order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You want a corporation to treat you like you're the only girl in the world is it?

You're selling your labour not seeking romance ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Well if your job is a football manager and your team is Rangers Newco then I wouldn't expect it; no.

Dean09 wrote: »

As soon as I clock out I agree with you. When I'm in work the word team is on the tip of my tongue and the word "try" is banished :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well if your job is a football manager and your team is Rangers Newco then I wouldn't expect it; no.

It would be a small bill so I wouldn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

of course. best thing is to list the offenders, and then get em back, one by one...

mehaha ha ha ha ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You ARE joking right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

Maybe your just no speaking their lingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Whenever I start a new job I keep quiet and suss everyone out. Work politics are fooking worse than anything I have ever come across but the genuine people always shine through in the end. As for forced camaraderie through a sandwich and a cuppa I would rather boil me own head.

Yeah screw all the friends bullshizz, it's all for one. Too much arse licking going around, and the biggest ass kissers are always the first to stab you in the back. Best keep your head down and do what your there to do, work and earn money. Especially don't pair up with the office witches (Every office has some green eyed monsters who spend all day conspiring and spreading rumors).

Don't get all pally wally with people you just met. Remember you will have to see them a lot for probably a long time. Best keep them at arms length until you suss out who the decent skins are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Whenever I start a new job I keep quiet and suss everyone out. Work politics are fooking worse than anything I have ever come across but the genuine people always shine through in the end. As for forced camaraderie through a sandwich and a cuppa I would rather boil me own head.

This!
    Keep your head down, suss out who the **** are and align yourself with the sound people!

I usually lunch on my own anyway, the perks of living close to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

HappyBalance2: When starting somewhere new I did what Lethal Lady said here and kept quiet to suss everyone out. I'm lucky in that I've studied personalities and know when people are being genuine or two-faced; as in only nice when the supervisor is around and will do and say anything to cover their ass and keep their job secure and it being a different one-sided story then when the supervisor is not around! :mad: :( Watch your back with them and find them fast too!
    You want a corporation to treat you like you're the only girl in the world is it?

You're selling your labour not seeking romance ffs.

Should you not just start your job and see if and what people there are actually like before thinking and wondering whether they'd take you out for lunch? As Chuck Stone says here 'you're there to work'. How's about thinking work-first and sussing out who is who before thinking about anything else :confused: or do you think a happy lunch would help with that? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

You should invite them out for lunch and make a first day speach telling them how delighted you are to get the gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In fairness, I think someone getting a new job in the current crisis is enough, without your new colleagues taking you out for lunch as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HappyBalance2

Goro wrote: »
    Yeah screw all the friends bullshizz, it's all for one. Too much arse licking going around, and the biggest ass kissers are always the first to stab you in the back. Best keep your head down and do what your there to do, work and earn money. Especially don't pair up with the office witches (Every office has some green eyed monsters who spend all day conspiring and spreading rumors).

Don't get all pally wally with people you just met. Remember you will have to see them a lot for probably a long time. Best keep them at arms length until you suss out who the decent skins are.

Well surely, if they are all going out for lunch? (3 others) they shud have invited me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Team me hole. Get back to work. Bleedin newbies, soft they are. No lunch in my day, lucky if they didn't jock you in the corridor you were, started at 4 in the morning we did, finished at 3, am. Bleedin modern teamloving cissies. Far from lunch ye were raised. Where do you work OP? Google? Lunch is a coffee. Anything more is dinner. And it's not dinnertime at lunchtime, now is it?? Man up, ffs:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

You're making it sound like prison...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

irish-stew wrote: »
    In fairness, I think someone getting a new job in the current crisis is enough, without your new colleagues taking you out for lunch as well.
    That's totally unfair. The price of eating out these days has fallen tremendously the last few years you can get some spectactular deals nowadays. Nothing like a slap up meal to make you fee special or important.

All I thought was that if people are going out for sandwich that they could have invited me. Its not being soft, I think its just a decent thing to do. I have done it in past. Say in the morning were all going for a bite to eat at 1 o'clock and we would like u to come and get to know the team?

They are not my friends its true, they are not strangers either, they are colleagues.

I don't think I will stay in a place that treats ppl like this.

• Advertisement

Usually an after work drink on the first Friday of the job is what I have done.
    Namlub wrote: »
    You're making it sound like prison...

You obviously never worked in a call centre.:D

Usually an after work drink on the first Friday of the job is what I have done.

You obviously never worked in a call centre.:D
    Soo, you like a drink, do you. Hmmm. Take a note Miss Jones, that Goro is a possible deviant alcoholic. Next they'll want a union. Scandalous. This is how it starts, looking for a "Team lunch". Next it's a raise, then they want a bigger office. Nip it in the bud, sack em. Hire an immigrant who brings in their own sandwiches and speaks no English. Make sure they don't own a watch.. Feckin commies. Team Lunch??? Thin end of the wedge if you ask me.

All I thought was that if people are going out for sandwich that they could have invited me. Its not being soft, I think its just a decent thing to do. I have done it in past. Say in the morning were all going for a bite to eat at 1 o'clock and we would like u to come and get to know the team?

They are not my friends its true, they are not strangers either, they are colleagues.

That is not too much to ask for most people.

It all depends on the personalities that are in place there and who leads or uses what-ever means available to them to persuade the others (be it natural dominance or flirting) and whether they are two-faced and nasty or otherwise.

Not everyone is genuinely nice. Just bare that in mind. Don't assume you will be invited. You could always ask where it is they are going and whether they would mind you going too ;)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    That is not too much to ask for most people.

It all depends on the personalities that are in place there and who leads or uses what-ever means available to them to persuade the others (be it natural dominance or flirting) and whether they are two-faced and nasty or otherwise.

Not everyone is genuinely nice. Just bare that in mind. Don't assume you will be invited. You could always ask where it is they are going and whether they would mind you going too ;)

Can we all agree in the perfect world they should have invited me?

I will agree with you. I like being genuinely nice with people who are genuinely nice with me. I'd do anything for them!

I would agree with you yeah :)

They didn't. How does that make you feel?

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »
    They didn't. How does that make you feel?

Not great, a bit sh*t tbh. Its the first time this has ever hpnd to me in 15 yrs of working. In every job I have been I saw ppl plan the newbies lunch. Maybe its a sign of the times that you are there for work and be happy about it but still feel its the 'norm' to make you feel welcome and to get to know you. Anyway glad to know other ppl feel the same as me. Thanks all.

Not great, a bit sh*t tbh. Its the first time this has ever hpnd to me in 15 yrs of working. In every job I have been I saw ppl plan the newbies lunch. Maybe its a sign of the times that you are there for work and be happy about it but still feel its the 'norm' to make you feel welcome and to get to know you. Anyway glad to know other ppl feel the same as me. Thanks all.
    Ok, we'll bring you on Monday. Better now? In fairness, we all thought you were a bit quiet and snobby, tbh. I asked the others if we could invite you, but they said no, it was too soon. Sorry about that. Our bad. Jasus, this is draining..

Ok, we'll bring you on Monday. Better now? In fairness, we all thought you were a bit quiet and snobby, tbh. I asked the others if we could invite you, but they said no, it was too soon. Sorry about that. Our bad. Jasus, this is draining..

cheers see u then.

cheers see u then.
    It's a date. Subways at 1.05. I'll bring "the Team".

It's a date. Subways at 1.05. I'll bring "the Team".

Order subs for each other as an ice-breaking bonding exercise.

• Advertisement

I've never been invited to lunch on my first day. Just asked my BF and friends and they haven't either. I'd be of the opinion that work friendships develop over time. I definitely wouldn't expect to be made a fuss of just because I was new.

Order subs for each other as an ice-breaking bonding exercise.

we work on an industrial estate (remember), who is driving?

I've never been invited to lunch on my first day. Just asked my BF and friends and they haven't either. I'd be of the opinion that work friendships develop over time. I definitely wouldn't expect to be made a fuss of just because I was new.

where have u worked?

I dont want to say where I work but its a well known Irish food brand.

where have u worked?

Hotels, call centres, schools, office jobs (receptionist, admin)

I dont want to say where I work but its a well known Irish food brand.
    You work on a bacon and cabbage farm????? No wonder there's no lunchtime get together. I thought you worked at Google. LUNCH IS OFF. Feckin peasants.,

Sounds like your work colleagues are Galtee of excluding you from their lunch. I Denny know what you should do.

Sounds like your work colleagues are Galtee of excluding you from their lunch. I Denny know what you should do.
    You are just clutching at straws here. I dairygold you to name the johnston mooney and o brien of the Op to glanbia the Bulmers out of the Brennans and Cusine de France all over it. Am I doing this right?

Advertisement