Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Olympics Commentator

Options
  • 10-08-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Is anyone listening to the basketball commentator on rte 2 olympics right now. Good lord he's awful:eek:!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

LaMwa996 wrote: »
    Is anyone listening to the basketball commentator on rte 2 olympics right now. Good lord he's awful:eek:!

Timmy? That man is a legend.

WTF are RTE doing only showing the match now though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Wish he'd do more GAA games...love the enthusiasm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

pithater1 wrote: »
    Timmy? That man is a legend.

WTF are RTE doing only showing the match now though?

What does downtown actually mean?????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Wish he'd do more GAA games...love the enthusiasm :D

I'd say he'd be gas doing a rugby match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

He's embarrassing. His cult status has emerged because of his cringe-worthy commentary, not because he's "telling it like it is" or other nonsense. He might be a lovely guy, no idea, but I hate listening to his commentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Timmy McCarthy is a legend, don't take it so seriously. he's like a small child in a sweet shop commentating on these games.. Imagine if he was on ESPN or NBA TV, the yanks would love him. :D

And in regards to the games, your only gonna get the full game on the BBC red button.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

moneyman wrote: »
    He's embarrassing. His cult status has emerged because of his cringe-worthy commentary, not because he's "telling it like it is" or other nonsense. He might be a lovely guy, no idea, but I hate listening to his commentary.

Thank you.

All I have been reading the last 2 weeks are about how fantastic he is and how lucky we are.

Sorry, but if you gave my dad a few pints and a microphone you would get the same thing. He offers no insight at all. Again, nothing against the man, I'm sure he's great on the lash, but it's a competitive basketball game, not some Street-ball video game.

Although it is better than Athens 2004, he had a sheet with player details on it, and after they scored and just read the details: "Slam dunk! Tim Duncan, 6 foot 10, San Antonio Spurs!" every single time he scored, got infuriating. I still can't watch him, thankfully the BBC teams have been tolerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    moneyman wrote: »

Thank you.

All I have been reading the last 2 weeks are about how fantastic he is and how lucky we are.

Sorry, but if you gave my dad a few pints and a microphone you would get the same thing. He offers no insight at all. Again, nothing against the man, I'm sure he's great on the lash, but it's a competitive basketball game, not some Street-ball video game.

Although it is better than Athens 2004, he had a sheet with player details on it, and after they scored and just read the details: "Slam dunk! Tim Duncan, 6 foot 10, San Antonio Spurs!" every single time he scored, got infuriating. I still can't watch him, thankfully the BBC teams have been tolerable.

Timmy is actually a really nice guy, was at one time considered the best irish player in the league (when it was really good, back in the 80s), captain of the Irish men's team and a good coach to boot (Irish underage and some National League teams).

The commentary though is appalling. It comes across as a wigger trying to be down with the homies in da hood after several cans of Red Bull. It's shockingly bad, as is his co-commentator Seanie O'Sullivan. We get it Timmy, you're enthusiastic, but please stop trying to talk jive in. cork accent.

He's not helped by the fact that he's on a studio in RTE and not actually at the games, but still, it is CRINGEworthy.

RTE have been using him for years. Occasionally he gets other gigs when it's an all hands on deck situation. He did radio commentary on the Ryder Cup - not as bad as the basketball, but very "Get in the hole!" and "you the man" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Very annoying commentator. Sometimes when I missed the games live, I'd try to catch the highlights and sometimes I'd be unlucky enough to have to watch the RTE coverage. This guy nearly ruined Olympic basketball for me. I had considered that I was just lacking in a sense of humour but after listening to him for a bit, that thought left me. I'm sorry but there is a big difference between the quirky, entusiastic, entertaining commentators like you see on NBA TV and some moron who is just babbling annoying non-sense.

He must have said "downtown" at least 50 times a game. He seemed incapable of just saying a simple "three pointer" or "three point shot". The one time I did hear him say something like that, his actually phrase was "Downtown three pointer" :rolleyes:

I can't remember what game it was but the other day I had some highlights on in the background while I was on the computer when I heard him say "He shakes, he bakes. He pops, he locks and nothing but net". He sounded like an absolute idiot from just that. When I looked at following replay and saw that the player had just got the ball on the three point line and done a simple drive to the basket before finishing with a lay-up in contact. I actually found myself infuriated by him at that stage. Even his own collueges in RTE are making fun of him, they put together a compilation just to laugh at him. How anyone could co-commenate with him I'll never know.

There is being enthusiastic and then there is just talking ****e

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Honest to god, thought it was on TG4 not RTE2, not a big fan of basketball just had it on in the background.
    "Spot net, spot net, spot net, not sputnic" stupid bogger prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Entertaining at first but he becomes mad repetitive. Especially when he says "Shakes, Bakes and POPS IT INTO THE NET!!!" for the 7th time that quarter.

He also has to come up with something better than yelling BOOM! everytime there's a half way decent dunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Had to switch to BBC whenever I wanted to watch basketball...

Couldnt listen to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Listened to a lot of John Amechi and Mike Carlson on BBC Freeview. Was surprised at how knowledgeable Amechi was. When he was in the NBA I thought he was a bit of a joke to be honest and only in the league for novelty value, pine time, size etc.; but his understanding of the game was quite and the interplay between the various positions was surprisingly good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Listened to a lot of John Amechi and Mike Carlson on BBC Freeview. Was surprised at how knowledgeable Amechi was. When he was in the NBA I thought he was a bit of a joke to be honest and only in the league for novelty value, pine time, size etc.; but his understanding of the game was quite and the interplay between the various positions was surprisingly good!

Amaechi was always very intelligent and highly articulate. No surprise to hear he's comfortable as pundit/co-commentator.

Advertisement