Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas before we go to the vets?

• 11-08-2012 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭

We have a 15 year old cocker cross who is in great form but has a heart murmer and is incontenent, we had her at the vet about 6 months ago and she said she also had a few big sists but she was fine. The dog is happy out and plays with the 2 yr old shi tsu and my 2 yr old pinnter all day but the last few days she has a developed a cough which has not gone away.

Going to the blue cross on tuesday but just said id ask here anyway and see if anyone had any ideas in the mean time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

We have a 15 year old cocker cross who is in great form but has a heart murmer and is incontenent, we had her at the vet about 6 months ago and she said she also had a few big sists but she was fine. The dog is happy out and plays with the 2 yr old shi tsu and my 2 yr old pinnter all day but the last few days she has a developed a cough which has not gone away.

Going to the blue cross on tuesday but just said id ask here anyway and see if anyone had any ideas in the mean time
    I'd be keeping her as quiet as possible. The cough could be anything from kennel cough to her lungs under pressure, so you're doing the right thing getting her checked out.
    It would be strict bed rest if she was my dog. See what happens Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Bed rest wpuldnt happen, she would go mad!! Haha

Its only at night really the last few nights, only started tonight just before i started the thread. Will see what they say tuesday, hope its not that time the kids will be devistated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Is the air a little bit dry at night where you are?

KKkitty wrote: »
    No more than anywhere else, she sleeps by the front door, probably the draftiest place in the house

KKkitty wrote: »
    No more than anywhere else, she sleeps by the front door, probably the draftiest place in the house
    Maybe the draft is getting to her a bit poor thing :( hope she's going to be ok.

• Advertisement

She sleeps there by choice :( when the kids go to bed she goes out to the hall and always has done! She was out today havin the crack with the other 2 and their pug friend that calls round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It could be her heart.

Hope all goes well for her, fingers crossed.

She sleeps there by choice :( when the kids go to bed she goes out to the hall and always has done! She was out today havin the crack with the other 2 and their pug friend that calls round
    Awwh poor thing :( Had plenty of dogs growing up that became very habitual in nature.

boomerang wrote: »
    It could be her heart.

Hope all goes well for her, fingers crossed.
    Ah its her heart anyway thats for sure, she has a murmer left and right side according
    To the vet on our last visit a few months ago

Hard to believe this dog was climbing lugnaquilla every week and walking miles through fields hunting with me only a year or so ago :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sorry to hear about your poor dog.
    If you become more concerned during the night I'd give Ucd vet hospital a call (they are open 24/7 iirc). It could be as little as kennel cough, but with older dogs who have other pre existing conditions it is good to err on the side of caution.

I hope she is ok !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Just my experience of cardiac problems with pets, My old jack Russell cross died last year of heart failure, she had never seen a vet in her life besides getting her first vaccines and getting spayed, she was a very hardy dog, tbh would have been better as a hunting or farm dog than a pet but she was my baby. I was home the weekend and heard her coughing quite bad, definite cardiac cough, so I asked my mam to take her to the vet Tuesday if there was no improvement as it was a bank holiday. Wouldnt ya know it, Tuesday morning mam came out to an unconscious dog, debated bringing her to the vets but decided to let her live out her last half hour at home with my parents sitting with her. I wish I had got her to the vets that weekend as there are some truely amazing cardiac medications out there at the moment and she very well may have gotten another year or 2 from them, but the more I think about it, it was her time, she was 15 tired and arthritic, had no fight left at all.

Basically what Im saying is, if you feel shes very low and coming towards the end get to the vet tomorrow, but if she still is coughing but has a fair fight in her cut back the exercise as it could be the straw that breaks the camels back, and when you do get to the blue cross look into getting her started on diuretics and cardiac medication. Hope everything works out ok, keep us posted.

At least 3 times over the past 2 yeara we have called her time but she keeps coming back, it really is mad ahe is a hardy dog no doubt! Shes snoring away in the hall there now the last hour not a bother so ill wait till monday and see what they say. Tomorrow she can chill out in the back garden in The sun and take it easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Have had this with a Siamese years ago; knew what it was and let her stay abed with me.

She insisted on getting off to use the litter tray and that exertion is what finished her.

Advertisement