Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the most money you've ever spent on a game?

• 11-08-2012 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Just looking at some of my old PS2 games there and found a few price labels still on the cases. A couple of them like Medal of Honor Frontline and Final Fantasy X I'd bought for €69.99 at their time of release in 2002 or so. Adjusted for inflation that's the equivalent of €87.45 in today's money.

Got me thinking what was the most expensive game I'd ever bought. I reckon some of the earlier N64 games were the dearest. Mario Kart 64 cost me £64.99 back in the summer of 1997. That's the same as €120.60 today.

Anyone spent more?

There's an Irish inflation calculator here, for working out the cost in today's money: http://www.anthonykelly.com/inflation.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,607 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How much was Gran turismo 5 Signature Edition again? I think was around 150?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Headshot wrote: »
    How much was Gran turismo 5 Signature Edition again? I think was around 150?

I paid E180 for my one plus all the DLC so far so its well over E200 i've spent on GT5!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

80 pounds for Sonic 3D back in the days AFAIK. Waste of money too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,665 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rock Band when someone was doing a bundle deal just after release. I forget what shop it was, but they probably don't exist anymore. Virgin? Zavvi? Hell if I know. Oh the transience of modern entertainment retailing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Think WWF No Mercy cost me 65 quid at the time, but it wasn't the buggy 1st batch thankfully.
    Spent €55 on Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow for the DS(thats a LOT for a Ds game for me anyway), left it on a train then a few months later....moron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Halo reach legendary edition cost approx 120. Plus all dlcs I bought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,620 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would think World of Warcraft wins that honor.

$40 for Vanilla and TBC Licenses
    $40 for WotLK
    $40 for Cata
    Countless months of subscription. But minus the free time from license boxes? Eh, lets call it 16 months. Ish. At $15 a piece thats $240.

In all, $360. Do I count that pandaren monk pet? And that other charity pet that helped fight cancer or something? Oh hell, call it $380. Well, and sales tax on the battle chest, and the authenticator, so $390.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Modern Warfare 2 Night Vision Set day one, €169.99.

Pokemon White and Black 15 times each over the course of the last 2 years have cost me €400. Each time I trade them in I rebuy them a few weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I dunno if mmorpg count as one game. If yes, then that would have been bogged money sink for me too.

Vanilla wow normal 40eu
    The burning crusade normal 40eu
    Wrath of the lick king collectors edition 85eu
    Cataclysm collectors edition 85eu

Subscription for 5 years at least. 700eu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Asassins Creed: Revelations Animus Edt for round €100 last year. Kinda not worth it, encyclopedia was good but just retreaded the games stories rather than flesh out the whole AC universe more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

150euro for the skyrim collectors edition,wasn't worth it,dragon is a plastic piece of crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

I'll count myself lucky - think the most expensive game for me was SFII special edition on the SNES at £60 (although with inflation, that's probably actually a lot of money for the early 90s). It was the first game I ever bought that came in a tin :D

Edit: Just noticed the inflation calculator in the OP.... and wish I hadn't :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I dunno if mmorpg count as one game. If yes, then that would have been bogged money sink for me too.

Vanilla wow normal 40eu
    The burning crusade normal 40eu
    Wrath of the lick king collectors edition 85eu
    Cataclysm collectors edition 85eu

Subscription for 5 years at least. 700eu

Why in gods name would you subscribe to WoW for 5 years? A year or two is generally accepted until you realise it's the same **** with every expansion and quit! :pac:

5 years shadow, that's just... wrong!! :p

Big Knox wrote: »
    Why in gods name would you subscribe to WoW for 5 years? A year or two is generally accepted until you realise it's the same **** with every expansion and quit! :pac:

I had sub up and going. At some stage I would not log in for more then a month, then play again, then quit, then sub again. I met a lot of people in there, which are my real life buddies and even if we haven't played regularly wow for a year at least we always play other stuff.
    I have already preordered expansion. I guess we will go again t play for a few months and them see where it will get us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Big Knox wrote: »

Vanilla/TBC and WotLK were all pretty damn good overall imo... thats like... 4/5 years. Im not sure what the general opinions of cataclysm are tho..

Magill wrote: »
    Vanilla/TBC and WotLK were all pretty damn good overall imo... thats like... 4/5 years. Im not sure what the general opinions of cataclysm are tho..

To be honest cataclysm was my least played and enjoyed expansion. That's when downfall in wow came on me. I had a chance to be in good raiding guilds which were just gearing me up from greens in fireland. ( loved to have connections in wow lol ). After few raids I just could not be ****ed raiding anymore. I watched my friends playing something else and I felt like in prison or work at those raids. I just started skipping raids etc, I felt like an asshole as they did pumped some amount of gear and gold I to my character, but I just could not play damn game anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,203 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

€300 for a Sonic Crackers Megadrive prototype! Couldn't pass it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

think it was 70-80punt on virtua racing for the megadrive which is prob about a billion euros in todays money! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

o1s1n wrote: »
    €300 for a Sonic Crackers Megadrive prototype! Couldn't pass it up.

you are my hero :D

GTR63 wrote: »
    Think WWF No Mercy cost me 65 quid at the time, but it wasn't the buggy 1st batch thankfully.

Same as myself.

Got it for £65 in Game back in 2000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Wow Vanilla - WotLK + Sub
    SWTOR + Sub for the 2-3 months (lol) i played of it
    Black Ops + DLC Map Packs

Been tempted by collector's editions so many times, but I just come to the realisation that most of them are ****e

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

age of empires the collection
    cost me 120
    even though i already had half of the games :P

the big box you get with the games inside just had that look saying (buy me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yeah likely rock band/guitar hero franchise as a whole for me was a massive money pit, if you include kits and games, but to be honest I'd say I spent more on DLC than the rest combined, In RB 3 including imports of other games, my library stood at over 600 songs :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

battlefield 3 , bought the game , then bought the premium over 100 in total

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

£60 for the Final Fantasy XIII-2 crystal edition or something like that. I could have sold it for over triple that but some filthbag robbed my house.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

heres the tip of the iceberg. Blizzard have robbed me blind :D

3b709729.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think I spent €60 on the Alan Wake collectors edition when it came out and another €30-€40 on extra content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I've been thinking about this for a while but I don't actually buy that many expensive games. I've always been about 2 years behind everyone else. I think the last day one release I bought was FFXIII collector's Edition for €69.99

I'm actually kinda proud of myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Didn't Street Fighter II launch at something like £60 when released on SNES?

Checking Wiki, £65sterling apparently, due to inadequate supply pushing the price up. So if that was the punt price (was probably more though), that puts it at over 130euro in today's money. **** me, I'd never pay that for a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I bought a PS3 just so I could play Street Fighter IV.

I've also spent hundreds on arcade sticks and components.

Advertisement