Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 2013 6 nations and junior world cup

1383940414244»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

What's the deal with the scheduling for the JWC? Seems a bit silly to me having 5/7/9/11 place playoffs. Any reason behind it?

It's a development tournament, every team gets the same number of games regardless of results. It's primary function is to develop young talent rather than determine the best team, as is the case for most tournaments. The playoffs for lowest ranked team also determine who drops down to the lower level tournament next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

What's the deal with the scheduling for the JWC? Seems a bit silly to me having 5/7/9/11 place playoffs. Any reason behind it?
    To give games and more time for player development. Underage competition therefore I don't mind all teams getting plenty of games.
    seedings decide the draw for group stage for following years competition so playoffs decide that.
    also playoffs decide who is relegated to world trophy for the following year

Ireland losing 13-0. half an hour gone

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

20-0.

23-11 with 20mins left
    Rory Scholes with the try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

28-17, Ireland wearing black

2067932_NRHP.jpg

28-17 to Australia now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Would have been interesting to see what this team could have done with a good kicker. Australia have been 5/6 today. Ireland have been 4/7. We have consistently been very poor off the tee in this tournament with several kickers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Could they have hidden Ringrose on the wing or something? Would have been a drastic improvement in quality.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    Could they have hidden Ringrose on the wing or something? Would have been a drastic improvement in quality.

Haha, no, I don't think so. I'm surprised that McGrath hasn't been kicking given how good he was off the tee at u-18 level.

Looking ahead to next year I don't know how strong we are in that are either. I presume Conor McKeon will be the goal-kicker.

Why? Would he be better than those who did play. Hard to say drastic improvement in quality

Anyway finishing 8th means our group next year will be
    the Loser of Wales and England, Winner of Argentina and France
    and winner of USA and Fiji

ormond lad wrote: »
    Why? Would he be better than those who did play. Hard to say drastic improvement in quality

He was something like 20/22 for the winning Blackrock in the senior cup, and they weren't easy kicks at all, regularly slotting them from towards the touchline, Halfpenny style. I just realised though he did have the small matter of the leaving cert going on so it wasn't a runner, such a shame.

He was something like 20/22 for the winning Blackrock in the senior cup, and they weren't easy kicks at all, regularly slotting them from towards the touchline, Halfpenny style. I just realised though he did have the small matter of the leaving cert going on so it wasn't a runner, such a shame.

He wouldn't have gone anyway. He's u19 afaik and he's an outside centre. The u20s travelled with Tom Daly who is a more accomplished placekicker and Tom Farrell who is a level above Ringrose at outside centre. He might have a chance at making the u20s next year, but with Rory O'Loughlin coming through, I wouldn't bet my house on it. I wouldn't even bet one of my shoelaces on it.

ormond lad wrote: »

Am I right in saying that it just goes in threes.

So the winner will be in a pool with 4th, 7th and 10th?

Hagz wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that it just goes in threes.

So the winner will be in a pool with 4th, 7th and 10th?
    No.
    Pools are 1st, 6th, 7th, 12th,
    2nd, 5th, 8th, 11th
    3rd, 4th, 9th, 10th

• Advertisement

Just looking at the scrum-half options at u-19 level next year, and there's serious depth with Fullerton, Cullen, McCarthy and Rock. Whereas next year's u20 scrum-halves aren't as strong with Caolin Blade and Dermot Lavelle the only names I really know about. I think the smart thing to do would be to promote the best of the u19 options to u20 level.

Next year's pool should be tasty. Ireland, France, Fiji and looking like England now. Their lock was a massive dope just before HT there. English try brought back because he gave a guy a knee and was carded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Wales going well in this one, leading 15-3 at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

The Welsh U20's have some really classy players in their team. Surprised that they're dominating England in this final, but so far they've looked the sharper team

Should be an exciting closing 20 mins now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I hope the English hooker lost a bet. Disgusting haircut/mustache combo.

England really turned the screw on them in the last 25 mins, bullied them off the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Only saw the second half there. As admirable as the fightback England made was, Wales were terrible. 15-3 up at half-time facing 14 men for the opening 10mins of the second half. Lost the second half 20-0!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Great turnaround from England. They had a hugely powerful team & in the end Wales looked out on their feet. Good game from both sides though

Only saw the second half there. As admirable as the fightback England made was, Wales were terrible. 15-3 up at half-time facing 14 men for the opening 10mins of the second half. Lost the second half 20-0!

they visibly tired, and weren't able for the English power. Good game.

With all games now played the final rankings and the pool draw for next year are below
    1 england
    2 wales
    3 south africa
    4 new zealand
    5 france
    6 argentina
    7 australia
    8 ireland
    9 samoa
    10 scotland
    11 fiji
    12 usa
    world trophy
    1 italy

england. argentina, australia, italy
    wales, france, ireland, fiji
    south africa, new zealand, samoa, scotland

So this is what we're looking at for next year
    Pool A
    England
    Argentina
    Australia
    Italy

Pool B
    Wales
    France
    Ireland
    Fiji

Pool C
    South Africa
    New Zealand
    Samoa
    Scotland

A 20-0 deficit proved too much for Ireland to overhaul, as Mike Ruddock's charges paid the price for a frustrating first half facing into a strong wind. They leaked two converted tries and two penalties in the opening 25 minutes.

A late penalty from centre Rory Scannell opened the Irish account before the break and they stormed out of the blocks on the restart, with Scannell landing a second penalty and full-back Rory Scholes breaking through for an unconverted try.

A Luke Burton penalty was cancelled out by two more successful strikes from Scannell as Ireland, 19-15 winners over Australia in the pool stages, cut the gap to 23-17 with their powerful scrum exerting more influence.

However, the Junior Wallabies gave themselves some crucial breathing space with their third try of the game - a breakaway score by Alex Northam on the hour mark - and Ireland were unable to respond in an energy-sapping final quarter.

The early exchanges in La Roche-sur-Yon were particularly physical as the Australians looked to gain revenge for that defeat on the opening night of the tournament.

A bout of pressure yielded a penalty and out-half Jake McIntyre kicked Australia ahead in the fourth minute. Scannell was presented with a long range opportunity to reply but he failed to split the posts.

A couple of offside decisions counted against Ireland and with the wind-backed Junior Wallabies continuing to force the issue, a well-struck penalty from centre Burton made it 6-0.

Ireland had been forced into a late change as Adam Byrne cried off through injury and Mark Roche, more noted as a centre, took his place on the right wing.

The Australians then profited from a turnover in the Irish half and worked the ball wide for winger Harry Parker to run in a converted try. Flanker Michael Wells added another just four minutes later as his side took full control.

Now 20 points adrift, Ireland had a huge amount of ground to make up. They made improvements approaching half-time with half-backs Luke McGrath and Steve Crosbie distributing well behind a hard-working pack - the fruits of their labour being a 36th minute kick from Scannell.

Ruddock's half-time words obviously worked a treat as Ireland made great headway on the restart with eight points in the opening two minutes.

Ulster prospect Scholes showed his fine finishing skills again as he ran in his fourth try in five games in France. Scannell, who landed a penalty just moments earlier, was off target with his conversion attempt.

The momentum was with Ireland and although Burton clawed back three points for the Australians, the Irish forwards used their highly regarded scrum to keep them on the comeback trail.

Scannell kicked two of three successive penalty attempts to put only six points between the sides and suddenly the game was there for the taking.

Australia had looked more dangerous with ball in hand though and their backs clicked into gear once more to set up winger Northam's 63rd-minute try, taking advantage of some missed tackles.

It was the decisive score as the Ireland youngsters ran out of steam in the closing stages against a committed and well-organised Australian defence.

It was a disappointing note for Ireland to finish a tournament that had held so much promise for them - from the historic opening victory over Australia and runaway triumph against Fiji to the heroic comeback against New Zealand that had them close to reaching the semi-finals for the first time.

Hampered by a couple of notable injuries, they tasted defeat twice in the knockout stages - losing 9-8 to hosts France on Tuesday night - but Ruddock believes that this group of players can build on what they have achieved this season.

"We picked up a few injuries, people like Tom Daly who was particularly crucial to us. We missed guys like that in the second week that could have made a difference. Adam Byrne dropped out today as well," he said.

"We don't hide behind the injuries, we just tailed off a little bit in the second week. But I'm still proud of the effort, the first week in particular I thought we played some really good rugby.

"We've had wins over teams like South Africa, England and France at this age grade and in this tournament we beat Australia. I think Irish rugby is continuing to progress nicely on the world stage."

The Welsh native added: "There's some good players in the Irish camp and I think a lot of them will go on to bigger and better things, particularly if they can play to the standard they showed in the first week.

"There's a lot of good players who will go on to become professionals there, they're a good outfit overall. Some players grew and got better and better throughout the tournament.

"Guys who were originally second choice have come through as well and really put pressure on the guys who had the Six Nations berths. We've had a few guys who gained ground on the other guys.

"I think the pack, in particular, have grown a good reputation in the tournament. Our scrummaging has probably been as good as any team in the tournament. So, we'll take a lot out of the tournament even though we were disappointed with our second week."

It really hasn't been a tour to remember for Adam
    Ireland had been forced into a late change as Adam Byrne cried off through injury and Mark Roche, more noted as a centre, took his place on the right wing.

Advertisement