Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build Help!

Options
  • 11-08-2012 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

1. What is your budget? [e750]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming & Netflix. I want to move away from Xbox and dabble with PC gaming.  Arma 2/Day Z, Fifa, whatever is cheap on Steam.  Don't expect it to be able to play BF3 with the graphics turned up to 11, but would like it to be able to hold its own on medium settings. I'd like the option of upgrading to a top of the range graphics card further down the line. 

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Nope

5. Do you need a monitor? Nope. Just in case its important though, I should state that I want to hook it up to an LED TV.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Looking to hook up to a 55" LED.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Wireless Card, Keyboard, mouse.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No, though I could probably be persuaded!

8. How can you pay? [any]

9. When are you purchasing? [Asap, I suppose]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Built a couple of PCs back in the day (15 yrs ago). I reckon with help from YouTube I could figure it out without frying myself. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€36.16
    Seagate Barracuda Spinpoint HD103SJ 1TB SATA II|€74.44
    InLine® HDD Einbauschienen, für 8,89cm (3,5") Festplatten|€1.05
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€33.20
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.20
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 royalQueen, 1GB GDDR5|€201.97
    Samsung SH-222BB schwarz|€16.60
    Intel Core i5-2320 Box, LGA1155|€171.95
    ASRock B75 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€72.44
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€669.00

Add to this a copy of Windows 7 from software4students at €54.95. Grab a decent KB and mouse from where ever - the above company only do German layouts.

The only thing I would ask is do you want this in an Xbox like case? eg for under the telly? That limits OCing options but I've not built an Overclock build.

Let me know and I'll adjust the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 WolfgangM

Cheers for the reply!

I don't need an Xbox style case, as it won't be under the TV. Would it be worth squeezing out a few extra quid and going for the 2GB graphics card?

I'm out of touch with PC gaming now. What is the killer when it comes to graphics performance these days? BF3? How would this machine likely handle that or similar, do you reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Different games and setups need different things. Firstly though yep it's probably worth going for the 2GB - not essential though, gaming on a TV. As monitors get bigger the resolution gets bigger - no so on TVs they're, generally, all 1080p. For the sake of €20 its worth it. That said the 660ti is coming out which may be a game changer are certainly worth waiting for.

Games like BF3 Online and Skyeim use huge amounts of CPU power. Having something like an over clocked 2500K and 1600Mhz memory would benefit you somewhat in these games (more so in BF3)

BF3 offline mode is the complete opposite - the GPU is the limiting factor - so upping the CPU makes naff all difference to frame rates. A 7850 is no slouch but a 7950 would enable you to run with maximum AA (useful at lower res) with decent frame rates - these cards are around €350 though. Again the 660ti will probably change recommendations at this price point and resolution.

Advertisement