Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop, i5, BR, 500GB HDD, 6GB RAM, 15"

Options
  • 11-08-2012 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As per title,

I'm looking for a new laptop.
    i5 or equivalent
    500GB HD
    BluRay drive.
    6GB RAM.
    15" or so (no smaller anyway).
    HDMI
    USB3 if possible (but at the very least 3 x USB2 ports)
    eSATA port would be handy

would love something under €500.
    Would also like Lenovo or HP (not Dell unless I can be convinced otherwise).
    Prefer something a bit hardy.

Cheers peeps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Applebhoy

Hi, you are asking a lot for that kind of budget, if you were to up it by another 50 or 100 euros, then i think you would get most of that
    take a look at box.co.uk i buy all our laptops from them, delivery costs about £10 to Ireland.
    take a look at this http://www.box.co.uk/products/keywords/core%20i5/ex/clerance,dummy,tradepack,dummy-warranty/cat/Computing%7eB%7eLaptops%7eB%7eLaptops/refine/m~Lenovo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The Bluray drive will generally add a min of £100 to the price- and on a 15" screen isn't generally worth it. You'll get a better processor, with extra RAM far cheaper than one of these with a Bluray drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Pique

The G570 on the box.co.uk site is listed in multiple configurations.

i5, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, USB2(!!)
    The difference between a DVD rewriter and a BluRay player is only £15.

I don't see the point in buying a laptop that will do me for 3-4 years min without speccing a BR player.
    It's more for TV connectivity rather than watching HD on a 15" screen.

I hate the fact that out of RAM, HDD, USB and Optical, manufacturers always leave one thing lacking.
    I suppose the easiest one to not worry about is HDD and then RAM. A PS3 has BR but there's no way to retrofit USB3.

Advertisement