Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother Redcaps Tavern (est. 1760): will it ever reopen?

Options
  • 11-08-2012 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Just thinking about this once great trad and folk music pub. Apparently even U2 played there in 1989. It closed down back in 2005 and there was even a "demolition party". However, the demolition proposal seems to have met the mother of all resistance - it didn't help that An Taisce's headquarters in Tailors' Hall was three metres away, across Back Lane.

It was put up for sale in 2005 for €11 million. It's still there, however, but as you can see from the above photo it's in a bad state of disrepair outside anyway. It's just lying there unoccupied for the past 7 years. Does anybody know who owns it now and what's going to happen with it? I find it hard to believe they'd get planning permission to demolish it in this supposedly enlightened age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Dostoevsky wrote: »

However, the demolition proposal seems to have met the mother of all resistance - it didn't help that An Taisce's headquarters in Tailors' Hall was three metres away, across Back Lane
    I find it hard to believe they'd get planning permission to demolish it in this supposedly enlightened age.

Sorry what? It was a bad thing when demolition was objected to and now we are in an enlightened age and demolition is a bad thing?

Say what you like about An Taisce at least they have been consistent.

Personally I would blame DCC for utterly failing the Liberties during the boom, Thomas Street, Iveagh Market and Mother Redcaps could have been shining jewels of restoration and conservation. Instead they booted traders out of the Market on the streets and gave absurd permissions that had to be appealed to ABP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

MadsL wrote: »
    Sorry what? It was a bad thing when demolition was objected to and now we are in an enlightened age and demolition is a bad thing?

Why you think my post implies it was a bad thing that An Taisce objected to the demolition I don't know. Anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Its a shame what happened to the area with the market and Mother Redcaps closing.Hopefully Mothers Redcaps can be re-opened used to love that pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

The PP is still valid, so technically it could be knocked but I think by the time that happens we might have revalued the building. It's probably not of huge architectural merit but it's an historic building that suits the area, the narrowness of the lane and has a rich history. Would make a lovely hostel and bar or even a market (again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

MadsL wrote: »

Personally I would blame DCC for utterly failing the Liberties during the boom, Thomas Street, Iveagh Market and Mother Redcaps could have been shining jewels of restoration and conservation. Instead they booted traders out of the Market on the streets and gave absurd permissions that had to be appealed to ABP.

they did the same with the entire north inner city. DCC should be ashamed of themselves

• Advertisement

Why you think my post implies it was a bad thing that An Taisce objected to the demolition I don't know. Anyway.
    Probably this...
    it didn't help t

If I misunderstood my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

Sorry to drag up a ghost thread but I see that the front of this has been tidied up. Is it going to reopen in some format?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

sticksman wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up a ghost thread but I see that the front of this has been tidied up. Is it going to reopen in some format?

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/new-developments-totalling-890m-in-pipeline-for-dublins-liberties-30066885.html

Whole area of the liberties soon to be rejuvenated. Now out of that 890 million figure 650 million is for the new children's hospital in St James.

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/new-developments-totalling-890m-in-pipeline-for-dublins-liberties-30066885.html

Whole area of the liberties soon to be rejuvenated. Now out of that 890 million figure 650 million is for the new children's hospital in St James.

Oh Christ, is it 2005 again?

and
    This will include the creation of green walls on buildings with decayed fronts or derelict sites

wtf? Rather than restore the buildings they will slather them in moss or something? Typical DCC madness.

Advertisement