Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turtle tanks: How do you clean yours?

Options
  • 11-08-2012 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

So I got a YBS around a month ago. He is still a small fella, his shell is about 2cm in length. Ive been cleaning the tank once a week and this is how I do it:
    • Put the little guy in a biscuit tin with a wet cloth underneath (I realise I prob won't be able to do this much longer as he grows)
    • Remove the basking area, filter and heater
    • Empty 90% of the water from the tank with a jug
    • Scoop out the gravel into a container
    • Carry the tank (heavy!) and pour out the remaining water. (The last bit of water at this stage is really mucky)
    • Scrub the tank with one of those sponge/scrubber combo things. I just use plain water, no cleaning agents. Scrub and rinse well with water
    • Return tank and fill with water
    • Rinse gravel. I have a lunchbox with holes cut in the bottom so i can half fill it with gravel and rinse (its like a homemade pasta strainer!)
    • Scrub basking area (again, using just clear water)
    • Remove spongey bit from filter and rinse. Rinse out filter unit.
    • Return stuff to tank, return the turtle

So what I want to know is how am I doing? It all takes about 45 mins, the longest part is emptying the tank of water and filling it up again, bucket by bucket, is there any steps I could take to speed up the process? Is the whole clean comprehensive enough?

And sure look, if you want to share your own routine or any tips or tricks, fire ahead!

Comments

Advertisement