Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benji Commemoration

• 11-08-2012 4:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

With all the current excitement of the landing of the mars rover, is it time we remembered a true canine hero who is largely forgotten in contemporary society. Rover has given his name to the land rover, range rover, wild rover and Irish rover. He has been immortalised by Rover biscuits.

Poor old Benji, a hero to a generation, has wafted into insignificance, his services to humanity and dognanity whitewashed from history.

It's time we did something to change this folks. It's time to name something after Benji.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Where To wrote: »
    With all the current excitement of the landing of the mars rover, is it time we remembered a true canine hero who is largely forgotten in contemporary society. Rover has given his name to the land rover, range rover, wild rover and Irish rover. He has been immortalised by Rover biscuits.

Poor old Benji, a hero to a generation, has wafted into insignificance, his services to humanity and dognanity whitewashed from history.

It's time we did something to change this folks. It's time to name something after Benji.

Was your first pet called Benji?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I am willing to let society name my penis Benji.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

FanadMan wrote: »

Was your first pet called Benji?
    Na my first pet was Freddy the tadpole, Benji was a major star in the early eighties, that's my point, young people today have never heard of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What about Laika? She gave her life to further the advancement of space exploration.

What about Laika? She gave her life to further the advancement of space exploration.
    Laika was a communist dog though, that dogma is completely different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Na my first pet was Freddy the tadpole, Benji was a major star in the early eighties, that's my point, young people today have never heard of him.

Sorry - thought you named your first dog after him. Those films were great.....well, as a kid they were great. And he was so cute.

FanadMan wrote: »

Sorry - thought you named your first dog after him. Those films were great.....well, as a kid they were great. And he was so cute.
    My first dog was called Major, named after an old cigarette packet.

Benji Riordan did all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Benji me hole! Only one canine mattered in the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Can't forget Ham The Chimp either, can we?

At least he made it back alive :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Getuptheyard, smell of benji off ya!

Hobo was a drifter though, a loose cannon who acted on a whim. These are not virtues we should be extolling on our youngsters.

Benji, on the other paw, helped the elderly cross the road, located lost or stolen property, and comforted the sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Benji almost certainly was the moist profitable film of 1974 (after The Texas Chainsaw Massacre)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Benji style!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

What about all the dogs that died to save people. They should get some respect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

What about Nígger ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Awwwww, I remember Benji!!

The first time I ever went to a drive-in as a kid was with my cousins and a Benji movie was showing. I must have been about 10. :)

I loved that dog. :)

Lapin wrote: »
    What about Nigger ?

You can't say that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I can't change the dog's name either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Hobo was a drifter though, a loose cannon who acted on a whim. These are not virtues we should be extolling on our youngsters.

Benji, on the other paw, helped the elderly cross the road, located lost or stolen property, and comforted the sick.

WTF! The Hobo did all those things and more. I'm quite sure that Candian society would have collapsed without his various interventions. He did everything from teaching illiterate children the joys of reading to preventing nuclear meltdown.

Benji, on the other had, got mixed up with Zac and an alien prince! He more or less invited an alien invasion of the Earth, something I'm sure the Hobo would have been called in to prevent.

• Advertisement

He was also the best character in the Riordans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Benji Bickies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

The smell of benji.

Essence of Benjamin

Advertisement