Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oliver Cromwell: Son Of A Bitch

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I worked in Huntingdon in England for a little bit. They were very proud of the fact it was his birthplace. They couldn't understand why we Irish weren't as enthusiastic about him.

nothing else thewre to be proud of.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

karma_ wrote: »
    It's a stretch to call her Irish in fairness.

I bet if she was male and a good footballer we wouldn't be quite so snooty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

mathepac wrote: »
    The term Brit is racist? You really need to stay in more as it's been used constantly all week by the Olympic commentators employed by the British Broadcasting Corporation.

Way to miss the point. I was referring more to the massive dimensions of the extremely large brush laden with tar with which you painted 62 million people with one single viewpoint on Oliver Cromwell whilst failing to see the irony of doing that and calling someone a racist at the same time. Well done, terrific effort. Probably a technical factor of 14.8 - I'd score you at 13.1, few deductions for not getting it the first time.

If you still don't get that, have someone explain it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

this afternoon in a small town in somerset in the south west of england......

i have asked 22 people....who was oliver cromwell......

it seems from the blank stares and the silly guesses....that he is not a well known historical figure in these parts.....
    Wow! I would have considered him as one of the three most influential people in English history! Are the English really that ignorant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Wow! I would have considered him as one of the three most influential people in English history! Are the English really that ignorant?

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Bold. Word. Somerset.

MadsL wrote: »
    Must. Resist. Urge. To. Bold. Word. Somerset.
    Wosh! Way over your head pal!

i don't think ignorant is the word.......just, who cares about history...

my poll was.....a few friends, people at a jumble sale and a few in the local shop.....

for many years i lived in a village in cambridgeshire.......i was part of the local pub quiz team.....

the other members were....a head schoolteacher, tax inspector, chain store shop manager, cambridge don (expert on the arctic and antarctic exploration), and a college procurer (whatever the college needed, he got it)....and me of course (a dublin man)...

whenever a history question was asked......they all looked in my direction for the answer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

this afternoon in a small town in somerset in the south west of england......

i have asked 22 people....who was oliver cromwell......

it seems from the blank stares and the silly guesses....that he is not a well known historical figure in these parts.....
    Had they just jumped out of the back of a lorry !

Ignorant is the word then!

archer22 wrote: »
    Had they just jumped out of the back of a lorry !

no, out of coal mines.....

ex coal mining area........nobody seems to be interested in the past..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

Did 1916 not follow his views in the republic idea and to this day as it is the only part of these isles that is a republic. At the time we were monarchists rich and poor suffer because of his republic ideas we were against. Trying to hold out for a monarchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

mrduffy wrote: »
    Did 1916 not follow his views in the republic idea and to this day as it is the only part of these isles that is a republic. At the time we were monarchists rich and poor suffer because of his republic ideas we were against. Trying to hold out for a monarchy.

There's also the small matter of why he came to Ireland in the first place.

He came to spread love and all kinds of everything! Surely a man who caused the Gaelic-Irish and the Anglo-Irish to coalesce to fight against him must have been a hero?

Ignorant is the word then!

clever would be more appropriate.......clever enough to to get on with their lives without reference to a historical irrelevence.....

we were the last patch of the monarchy at the time to hold out for a fight to save a king's authority instead of a republic way of government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Its all very well being a revisionist Irish man, but in fact people are "educated" more by their surrounding environments and culture - now Anglo-American in Ireland - than school. The discourse on Ireland, or Catholicism, is therefore based on English speaking ideologies. And to the English, and most English speakers, he was OK.

A good example of English speaking ideologies dominating the discourse is the rants about the Iquisition. As Wibbs continutally points out it has been massively overestimated. But it will be referenced time and time and time again in Atheist forums, as much here as there. It is in the mother's milk of English speakers - unlike, say, the far more recent 30,000 killed in the Mau Mau rebellion. Far more people. Far more recent. Far more forgotten.

And we hear about the crusades, the nasty crusaders - English/Norman more than Irish, as it happens - taking over Jerusalem and killing thousands. This is an anti-Catholic story.

Here is a story about the bombardment and invasion of Alexandria in 1882 - another thing that has dropped down the memory hole. The city, one of the the ancient world's most amazing, was levelled. Just one example.

So, too with Cromwell. He did in fact have a plan for the ethnic cleansing in Ireland, and he did in fact try and implement it. Had it worked we would be as numerous in Ireland as the Native Americans in Chicago. Why forget? English speaking hegememony.
    Nail on the head! An all round brilliant post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Britain have influenced world culture and the rights of man in so many ways, but the most important but not in order were

1 The magna Carte
    2 The bill of rights
    3 The bill of abolition
    4 Oliver Cromwell.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Ireland has been invaded a number of times without muskets or swords .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

paddy andy wrote: »

Examples and explain please there paddy andy :)

• Advertisement

Most people would'nt recognise an Invasion and if you need to ask then you don't deserve to know .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

paddyandy wrote: »
    Most people would'nt recognise an Invasion and if you need to ask then you don't deserve to know .

Invaded by liberals?

When you have worked in the Industries that i have you learn that the world is made up mostly of Fools .

When you have worked in the Industries that i have you learn that the world is made up mostly of Fools .

What are you rabbiting on about?

Most people wouldn't recognise an Invasion and if you need to ask then you don't deserve to know .

Don't be posting complete crap, explain what you meant by above or go over to the conspiracy thread.

He came to spread love and all kinds of everything! Surely a man who caused the Gaelic-Irish and the Anglo-Irish to coalesce to fight against him must have been a hero?

They were united before Cromwell came to Ireland. it is because they united that parliament asked Cromwell to invade.

Although there is perhaps a too lenient view of Cromwell in England, the opposite is also probably true in Ireland. His conquest is just seen as a black and white chapter in the 800 years of oppression.

He is an interesting character to read about. http://www.cromwell.hist.cam.ac.uk/

• Advertisement

Cromwell brought republicanism to ireland and with republicanism came more government more law and order and more taxes. Before republicanism, I do believe the lords had the craic as well as the ordinary folk as taxes were low and government non existent. After republicanism greed took over with heavy taxes and enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Although there is perhaps a too lenient view of Cromwell in England, the opposite is also probably true in Ireland.
    Since his arrival on these shores was indeed the start of such a wonderful and glorious age for the vast majority of people on this island, how such a negative "race memory" of him got imprinted is utterly unfathomable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

my poll was.....a few friends, people at a jumble sale and a few in the local shop.....

for many years i lived in a village in cambridgeshire.......i was part of the local pub quiz team.....

the other members were....a head schoolteacher, tax inspector, chain store shop manager, cambridge don (expert on the arctic and antarctic exploration), and a college procurer (whatever the college needed, he got it)....and me of course (a dublin man)...

whenever a history question was asked......they all looked in my direction for the answer...

So a teacher didn't know a history question?
    Says a lot about the British education system...

Apparantly Darragh O'Briain quoted to his English wife about how wonderful the Irish education is and how poor the English system is.

as she pointed out, the Irish system produced him, a clown and the English system produced her, a Brain Surgeon:D

Apparantly Darragh O'Briain quoted to his English wife about how wonderful the Irish education is and how poor the English system is.

as she pointed out, the Irish system produced him, a clown and the English system produced her, a Brain Surgeon:D

Always exceptions to the rule I suppose.

I find it strange though that most people wouldn't have at least a basic knowledge of the history of their country.

• Advertisement

A clown with a degree in theoretical physics though.

Galway 35 wrote: »
    Always exceptions to the rule I suppose.

I find it strange though that most people wouldn't have at least a basic knowledge of the history of their country.

You will find that an awful lot of people in an awful lot of countries don't have a basic history knowledge of there country,To busy living there lifes,

Unless that is if its involved in some sort of war/terrorism/invasion/freedom struggle for many years. imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    A clown with a degree in theoretical physics though.

A perfect combination for a mad scientist bent on destroying the world.

what i'm saying is a teacher was not interested in history........actually he was a maths teacher.....and a very highly paid one......

i'm just trying to put over, the lack of interest in history that most british people have....imo

the cambridge don that i mentioned, was one of the worlds foremost authority on arctic and antarctic exploration.....and he had written books on the subject....but he seemed to have little interest in other historical subjects

of course there are many that are interested, just as i am.....

and as i sat in school in dublin.....i found i was one of a very few, who was interested in history....just as it seems to be in the uk....

realies wrote: »
    You will find that an awful lot of people in an awful lot of countries don't have a basic history knowledge of there country,To busy living there lifes,

Unless that is if its involved in some sort of war/terrorism/invasion/freedom struggle for many years. imo.

Sure we are all living our lives but we also all went to school and you would imagine at least some of it would have remained in peoples brains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The next time you feel the urge to complain about people not being 'srs', this will be flung at you.

Most people on this Island would'nt recognise an invader without a weapon .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Most people on this Island would'nt recognise an invader without a weapon .

Well, O Great One, why not enlighten us?

As i posted........you don't deserve.......

Advertisement