Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Washington Dc in two weeks anyone been there?

Options
  • 11-08-2012 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi im moving to Washington Dc in two weeks on a 1 year J1 visa
    Does anyone know of anywhere to get accommodation?
    Has anyone ever been there or have any advice about the city?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I've been there a few times. I have an acquaintance who lives and works there. If you have some quick and specific questions, I can see if she has some tips.

Otherwise, this will be a good place to start:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washington-dc/

I think of city-data as being the American equivalent of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

I've been visiting Virginia/DC for 3 months a year for the past 3 years. While I have nothing to offer you in terms of accommodation advice, I strongly recommend taking several trips to The Smithsonian area, which is one of my favourite places to visit for the day in the world.

Many museums to suit all kinds of tastes. It's equally wonderful to walk around in sunshine as it is in snowy winter.

Prepare for some shocking heat though. 100-110F isn't unusual during summer, and that only tells half the story. The humidity is what gets you. It's terrible. You've probably missed the worst of it though, so you should start to experience the less draining weather.

You'll be wearing t-shirts, tanktops, and shorts when you arrive, but don't let that fool you. In 3 months you'll be buried in snow and potentially dealing with some really serious sub-zero wind chills.

I'm highlighting the bad stuff just as a heads-up - don't get me wrong, it's a great place to visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

carlcon wrote: »
    Prepare for some shocking heat though. 100-110F isn't unusual during summer, and that only tells half the story. The humidity is what gets you. It's terrible. You've probably missed the worst of it though, so you should start to experience the less draining weather.

You'll be wearing t-shirts, tanktops, and shorts when you arrive, but don't let that fool you. In 3 months you'll be buried in snow and potentially dealing with some really serious sub-zero wind chills.

I'm highlighting the bad stuff just as a heads-up - don't get me wrong, it's a great place to visit!

This generally goes for that whole stretch of the east coast, New York-Philadelphia-Baltimore. We get four seasons here, our summers are hotter and our winters are colder. We do get some lovely weather along the way though.

Advertisement