Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden fence - Raising height -

• 11-08-2012 8:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Good morning folks and inadvance thank you for your help

I need your help with something. I have a garden fence with concrete posts. You all know the type. The size is 6 ft wide x 5ft high. Then with the extra concrete base it effectivly works out at 6 x 6

My biggest problem is my kids. One of them is climbing it and i can have that.

Now i am thinking of options to make it higher and more difficult to climb and this is the 2 options i have come up with.

1. Use trellis on the top. Extend it by 2 ft.

2. Screw lengths of plank into the existing fence 8 - 10 foot high. I am thinking 10 would be best.

Now i dont want to sound cheap but i need to think of money, the best option to stop my child, how it will look and most importantly will it work.

How many fence panels do i have? 14

Here is the best picture i could find of a panel but to be honest it looks a little better.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Good morning folks and inadvance thank you for your help

I need your help with something. I have a garden fence with concrete posts. You all know the type. The size is 6 ft wide x 5ft high. Then with the extra concrete base it effectivly works out at 6 x 6

My biggest problem is my kids. One of them is climbing it and i can have that.

Now i am thinking of options to make it higher and more difficult to climb and this is the 2 options i have come up with.

1. Use trellis on the top. Extend it by 2 ft.

2. Screw lengths of plank into the existing fence 8 - 10 foot high. I am thinking 10 would be best.

Now i dont want to sound cheap but i need to think of money, the best option to stop my child, how it will look and most importantly will it work.

How many fence panels do i have? 14

Here is the best picture i could find of a panel but to be honest it looks a little better.

Screw on some small lengths of PT 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 wood into each of the main concrete fence posts......(2 x 7mm rawl plugs and stainless steel screws for each post will do the job nicely)

They will extend 2 feet up above the height of the fence.

They get a few lengths of PT decking board in a builders providers and screw them along the top of the fence by securing them into your new extended battons.

3 high decking board would give you added height and security too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Or you could buy a large 6 x 6 foot PT trellis frame and cut into 2 foot wide strips.

Then attach them onto your new extended battons

That would get you 2 foot high and 18 feet long,,with regards your existing fence.

Just my 2 cents worth.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

paddy147 wrote: »
    Or you could buy a large 6 x 6 foot PT trellis frame and cut into 2 foot wide strips.

Then attach them onto your new extended battons

That would get you 2 foot high and 18 feet long,,with regards your existing fence.

Just my 2 cents worth.:)

Could you get extra concrete bases for each one, then put the existing panels on top? Low maintenance, won't look as "added on".

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

I am thinking of extending out fence too and I thought about buying full size panels and cutting them into thirds and removing the current panel and slipping the small one in at the bottom and refitting the original. This should then stand proud above the concrete posts and rest on the cut panel.

It might require a little work to hold the cut panels together but it might work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The height of any such structure shall not exceed 2 metres or, in the case of a wall or fence within or bounding any garden or other space in front of a house, 1.2 metres.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Smear the top of it with grease

Advertisement